PDA

View Full Version : As industry recovers, Mac growth beating PCs

MacBytes
Jul 2, 2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: As industry recovers, Mac growth beating PCs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090702111344)
Description:: It's been a tough road for everyone in the tech sector over the past year, but there are small signs of recovery, especially for Apple.

Morgan Stanley analyst Kathryn Huberty says Apple is outperforming the PC market in sales growth, and this was before Apple released its new MacBook Pros in June, according to a report on Fortune's Apple 2.0 Wednesday.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

joro
Jul 2, 2009, 10:32 AM
I think a lot of the growth with Apple has to do directly with the iPhone which made it “hip” to own an Apple product once more. Then people started using the iPhones, loved the simplicity, and decided to branch out to Apple computers and that transition is what has directly lead the growth of Apple over the past few years.

fuziwuzi
Jul 2, 2009, 10:51 AM
I think a lot of the growth with Apple has to do directly with the iPhone which made it “hip” to own an Apple product once more. Then people started using the iPhones, loved the simplicity, and decided to branch out to Apple computers and that transition is what has directly lead the growth of Apple over the past few years.

it's the halo effect. once apple get you buy one product, if they can give you a positive experience, you are more likely to rate it positively, and therefore see their other products as good and often more.

akm3
Jul 2, 2009, 10:58 AM
it's the halo effect. once apple get you buy one product, if they can give you a positive experience, you are more likely to rate it positively, and therefore see their other products as good and often more.

That's not the halo effect. Halo effect is one product is so amazing in it's category that it makes you other products that might be more normal 'seem' better than they are.

What you are describing is just delivering a good customer experience which fosters them wanting to do more business with you.

jschu22
Jul 2, 2009, 11:05 AM
That's not the halo effect. Halo effect is one product is so amazing in it's category that it makes you other products that might be more normal 'seem' better than they are.

What you are describing is just delivering a good customer experience which fosters them wanting to do more business with you.

Sorry, you're wrong. It is widely regarded as this is about a consumer purchasing one product and being so pleased with it that they gain a greater interest in the company's other offerings. This originally referred to the iPod and the subsequent Mac purchases, but the iPhone has certainly contributed it's share.

joro
Jul 2, 2009, 11:16 AM
Halo Effect Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect)

It actually even has a discussion of iPods and how they help Apple’s other products. ;)

mklos
Jul 2, 2009, 11:17 AM

I'm sorry but what fuziwuzi said is whats called the "halo effect" which all started with the success of the iPod and seems to continue off the iPod and now the iPhone.

xIGmanIx
Jul 2, 2009, 11:23 AM
I can see growth outpacing PC, however i don't think there has been any significant change to market share

NinjaHERO
Jul 2, 2009, 12:13 PM
I can see growth outpacing PC, however i don't think there has been any significant change to market share

I thought there was an article on here a month or two ago that stated apple had gained significant market share?

Chupa Chupa
Jul 2, 2009, 12:28 PM
I don't think it's a "halo effect" per se. I don't think consumers are so easily convinced to spend hundreds more on a Mac vs. a similarly configured computer. However, the iPod then iPhone brought people into the stores. Plus the stores are interesting. They are almost like "hands on" museums. And no one hassles you when you play around -- unless you are using FaceBook, of course.

In turn, more people have become familiar and comfortable with the Mac, which was for many previously an unknown quantity. Eventually they understand the Mac is less of a PITA to use than a PC. Sold.

Purely anecdotal, but I think typical: my 14 y.o. niece grew up in a Windows home and goes to a Windows school. For her birthday she hinted around she wanted a Mac even though she has a 2 y.o. HP (and pretty nice one as far as they go). Why? iChat and the MacBook's built-in webcam. That's how all her friends communicate when at home. Sure there are work arounds for PC users, but she wanted none of that. She wanted a Mac.

xIGmanIx
Jul 2, 2009, 12:30 PM
I thought there was an article on here a month or two ago that stated apple had gained significant market share?

Not sure, its possible. However, i guess market share is relative. I believe Apple is in the 10-12% range? To me, significant would be a 10-15% increase. That is not to say that Apple doesn't have great margins, but in the grand scheme of things, they are still very much a minority.

BongoBanger
Jul 2, 2009, 02:09 PM
Not sure, its possible. However, i guess market share is relative. I believe Apple is in the 10-12% range? To me, significant would be a 10-15% increase. That is not to say that Apple doesn't have great margins, but in the grand scheme of things, they are still very much a minority.

In the US perhaps. Worldwide it's still less than 5%.

I would expect Apple to recover quicker as it's customers generally have more disposable income. I don't think it's the herald of a significant rise in share though.

joro
Jul 2, 2009, 03:35 PM

Like you said, Apple’s growth is relative to their individual performance, not others. So when a company increases 100% they can go from 5% market share to 10% while a company could theoretically only increase 5% and go from 60% to 61%. But I do think any positive growth at this point is a good sign for Apple.