Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loccy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I've just shifted over my OS X partition to a new drive.

No big deal - I partitioned the new drive in Disk Utility, made sure it had a GUID partition scheme, then used Carbon Copy Cloner to zap over my OS X partition. Boot from new drive - it works but there is an odd pregnant pause on boot up before the machine starts actually booting. I always boot in verbose mode (I like to see all the UNIXy goodness under the hood), so I see about 30 seconds of grey screen before I get the scrolling white text of OS X booting.

Now I find myself wondering if this is because of the lack of EFI partition on the new drive - but Googling around t'interweb I'm struggling to find any definitive guidance on this issue or indeed, anyone else with precisely this problem. Any bright sparks on here have any ideas?

(as an aside, I've started to recreate my Windows partition - Boot Camp assistant is quite happy to create a Windows partition and resize the OSX one, which seems not to work based on what I've read if your partitioning is wrong)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I've never had to make an "EFI partition" when replacing a hard disk on the mac. I always just run the Disk Utility on the OS DVD and set it up for GUID with HFS+Journaled formatting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.