Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
I am about to download the new verison of this app, but I wanted to know if anyone else already has and what they thought of it? It does state that it has voice guidance as well.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
I am about to download the new verison of this app, but I wanted to know if anyone else already has and what they thought of it? It does state that it has voice guidance as well.

I'm not at home right now so I haven't downloaded it yet but user "Redbeard" from the iPhone Blog forums said that aside from voice directions, none of the other features (landscape, etc) seen in the YouTube video made the final cut (?!). Can neither confirm nor deny this yet...

sleeks

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not at home right now so I haven't downloaded it yet but user "Redbeard" from the iPhone Blog forums said that aside from voice directions, none of the other features (landscape, etc) seen in the YouTube video made the final cut (?!). Can neither confirm nor deny this yet...

Hmmm....I don't show that a new version is available yet. It still says that I have the current version installed.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
with the new version, there are a couple of changes but not to many. it is true that there is no landscape mode, or mph indicator of the road you are on... from what i remember from that youtube video.

the pinch and zoom is cool i guess, nothing like the maps app... but in 3d view you can zoom out just as far as the other views. the app shows the next turn and distance in the top right corner like version 1.2 did. it also shows how far the destination is from you in the bottom right corner.. like how 1.3 had.

the voice guidance does NOT say the street names.. i dont know about other members but i prefer it this way. it is a female voice and it is not crippled or distorted like other gps units (from what i remember). I have not tried it in real life but using the preview button it does a very good job and the voice is very clear.. something out of a lexus navigation. on my route i there was a turn 2 miles ahead of me and she said right turn in 2 miles, then at 1, then at zero point 5 miles, then turn right.. then two beeps.

not a huge update, but so much better than 1.3 and a little better than 1.2 hopefully their 1.4 update will have all the goodies that we saw before on that youtube video.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Hmmm....I don't show that a new version is available yet. It still says that I have the current version installed.

Check via your iphone (not your desktop). Mine's shows that G-Map West (I do have both East/West versions on my iphone) has an update available. My guess is that this was just released a couple of hours ago (?). So G-Map East will probably be released in the next few hours tonight?

sleeks

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Check via your iphone (not your desktop). Mine's shows that G-Map West (I do have both East/West versions on my iphone) has an update available. My guess is that this was just released a couple of hours ago (?). So G-Map East will probably be released in the next few hours tonight?

I was checking on my phone, but I only have east. East is still 1.3 and west is 1.31. I'm guessing that 1.31 is not really their final release. The description still shows that it has the "game". It does now say os 3.0 compatible on 1.31, so that may be the bigger reason for this release.

I wish we would get some US releases for nav that is not subscription based. Sygic, navigon, gmap, and of course tt.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
it seems they rushed this out...mine is very flaky and missing way too many features. The location will just freeze mid route w/o warning. It did this 4-5 times on the route home.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
it seems they rushed this out...mine is very flaky and missing way too many features. The location will just freeze mid route w/o warning. It did this 4-5 times on the route home.

Yes...I'm not terribly impressed. It's basically 1.3 with voice commands. I hope Sleeks is right that this is just an "interim" app before we get the full-blown version seen in the youtube video.

On the plus side: the voice quality is superb. Far superior to Gokivo or AT&T Navigator's (ATTN); it's LOUDER than Gokivo's and it's *sharper* than ATTN's. But no text to speech...yet.

sleeks

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
No update for east still. Is that because Apple's weird approval process or was something programmed differently in West that required a quick update to fix it for 3.0??? I want the app that was shown on YouTube. If gmap puts that out at the $25 dollar price point, they will sell a ton.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
The AppStore also shows they upped the price to $35.

sleeks

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
The AppStore also shows they upped the price to $35.

If this is the final version, I'm disappointed. It looks like version 1.2 but with voice. Bummer.

I'm still hoping that there is a version 1.4 in the works that matches the tapcritic review. If they release that at a decent price point before the others, they should be able to sell a lot.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
If this is the final version, I'm disappointed. It looks like version 1.2 but with voice. Bummer.

I'm still hoping that there is a version 1.4 in the works that matches the tapcritic review. If they release that at a decent price point before the others, they should be able to sell a lot.

I agree, but they have now stated that the $35 price point is a discounted price and it will be higher soon. I think they might bump up each coast to $50. But hopefully for us who purchased at $20 can get that YouTube version for cheap :)

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
I bought 1.3 at $24.99
1.3.1 West is now $34.99
FREE upgrade for ones that purchased at a lower price.
1.3.1 states that the price is going up.
For this reason, I grabbed the G-Map East ver 1.3 while it is still $24.99.
I figure that if this keeps going up, I had better grab it at a lower price.
I think the Video on UTube of the next version states that upgrades will remain Free.
Some may have some bugs, but XRoads seem to be working on new versions AND bugs. A few items like, the game, the distance to next turn, have been corrected. I know they are slow, or non-existent, in answering email through support, but it works pretty darned good for the first one out there at prices they are selling it for. No subscription so far, just a one-time fee.
And my built in Google map goes crazy with the compass. It's pretty well unusable for that reason on my 3GS.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
has anyone used the new version with an aux cable connected to their car? for some reason i am not getting the voice prompts through my car speakers but it worked or 1.3.... it would not be able to use this app anymore if it does not work through an aux cable!

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
has anyone used the new version with an aux cable connected to their car? for some reason i am not getting the voice prompts through my car speakers but it worked or 1.3.... it would not be able to use this app anymore if it does not work through an aux cable!

Don't have an aux jack but I did try it with my itrip FM charger/player today: the voice came loud and clear through the car stero. And I agree with what you (?) said earlier: it does remind me of a fancy, soothing, in-car Lexus GPS voice. :)

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
G Map East - Not updated

East has not been updated yet. Price going up. Does this work in landscape mode? Website doesn't show it. Anyone having a problem? Read a couple of threads of voice prompts not working.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I just download this app a little bit ago. I never had the prevous versions so I am new to this.
I don't really like it.
It's not that user friendly.
And I REALLY don't like that it doesn't say the name of the next street to turn on just the distance. It does however, display the name of the street you turn on at the top of the screen but doesn't that defeat the purpose of voice?
I'm still gonna work with it some more but so far it's thumbs down.
No landscape view either.
I do like the fact that it's a one time fee and no subscriptions though.
That's the only reason I got it in the first place.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Update has voice prompts. Probably in app store - west just updated. No landscape, bad news. I'm going to wait for TomTom, due out shortly. Probably no subscription.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Update has voice prompts. Probably in app store - west just updated. No landscape, bad news. I'm going to wait for TomTom, due out shortly. Probably no subscription.
I wish they had trial version of these things. :mad::mad:

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Probably no subscription.

It really depends on whether it includes live traffic information and live traffic re-routing.

So far, NONE of the 1-time fee based iphone nav apps (in Europe and in Australia) include those features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.