PDA

View Full Version : Market Value for DP 533?

pgwalsh
Jul 8, 2002, 03:19 PM
Could some of you throw some numbers of what you'd expect to pay for a used dual processor 533 mhz powermac? Also, do you think there will be a change in price after MWNY?

Thanks

Peter

Nipsy
Jul 8, 2002, 03:25 PM
Mac of all trades sold one about a month ago for $999, and I've seen eBay go between $840 and $1800.

Its hard to price these, because those in the know know it is a pretty stellar machine, but those in the know often have newer Dualies. So a lot of people don't give credit where credit is due.

pgwalsh
Jul 8, 2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
Mac of all trades sold one about a month ago for $999, and I've seen eBay go between $840 and $1800.

This seems to be on par with what I've seen. I think $1800 is rather steep for a used machine. I could build a dp AMD for that amount. However, I wouldn't be able to use my favorite OS.

Do you think there will be a drop in the price in these units after MWNY? How does it compare to a single 933mhz mac. This will be used with Mac OS X Server for a small business (internally)?

AlphaTech
Jul 8, 2002, 03:37 PM
Without seeing any benchmarks for either system to run a comparison, I would venture to say that the new 933MHz system would run just as fast, if not faster, then the dual 533. The main reason for this is the L3 cache. For applications that take full advantage of the dual processors, it will be very close.

Personally, I would recommend getting a new system as opposed to an older one. If they put L3 on the low end tower next week, grab one of those. From all the hub-bub, you could be looking at a 1GHz tower, with DDR and L3 cache. All those combined will bury the dual 533MHz tower.

sparkleytone
Jul 10, 2002, 01:06 PM
ya but if i can pick up a Gig-E g4 in the next couple months for less than $500, i'm sold.

pgwalsh
Jul 10, 2002, 01:11 PM
Well this DP 533 is selling for around $1200.00, but I can probably talk them down to $1000 or have them throw in some memory. I think I can wait a week to see what happens at MYNY. Maybe they'll drop prices is Apple discounts on other equipment.

Nipsy
Jul 10, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
Well this DP 533 is selling for around $1200.00, but I can probably talk them down to $1000 or have them throw in some memory. I think I can wait a week to see what happens at MYNY. Maybe they'll drop prices is Apple discounts on other equipment.

Okay, you live in Atherton, and your crying over USED Mac prices!

I'm in Woodside, your rustic neighbor!

pgwalsh
Jul 10, 2002, 01:44 PM

Okay, you live in Atherton, and your crying over USED Mac prices!

I'm in Woodside, your rustic neighbor!

I may live in Atherton, but I'm not a homeowner. I rent a cottage. I'm surely not crying, just trying to make the best buying decision. I'm planning on buying a new mac too. One's for a small business network the new one is for me. I'm trying to be price continuos while I get things up and running. However, Iaccept charity from people in Woodside. ;P Ha!

Nipsy
Jul 10, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh

I may live in Atherton, but I'm not a homeowner. I rent a cottage. I'm surely not crying, just trying to make the best buying decision. I'm planning on buying a new mac too. One's for a small business network the new one is for me. I'm trying to be price continuos while I get things up and running. However, Iaccept charity from people in Woodside. ;P Ha!

I work with a VC guy who lives in Atherton. I was telling him that I thought OSX was going to be a changing point in Apple's history, so we jumped in his car, drove over to the Palo Alto store, where he proceeded to buy a TiBook 800 and a Dual Gig, and iPods.

He took them home played with them for a few hours, couldn't connect to his VPN, and they now sit collecting dust.

I cannot make the moral decision as to whether I should have him give them to me, or introduce him to the VPN client he needs...

I think here in Woodside we are a little less flamboyant. Sort of a East Egg/West Egg kind of thing...

pgwalsh
Jul 10, 2002, 02:18 PM
I cannot make the moral decision as to whether I should have him give them to me, or introduce him to the VPN client he needs...
Well, I'd probably make the extra effor to make the VPN work. I'd actually want him to be happy with his purcahse, so I wouldn't feel like an ass for getting him to buy it. However, maybe that doesn't bother you and now you've sprung wood? Ha!

flamboyant Sort of a East Egg/West Egg kind of thing... You Jackass.

blackpeter
Jul 10, 2002, 02:31 PM
I've been trying to sell mine here in SF for about a month. I think I'll have to go down to $1000 (monitor included!) to get rid of my 533 tower.

AlphaTech
Jul 10, 2002, 02:35 PM
I don't think you guys want to know what I sold my G4 500 (single processor) for at the start of this year then... :D

It had 1.5GB of RAM, the original 27GB drive plus a 40GB drive on top, dvd-ram drive, zip drive, 32MB Radeon (Mac edition) video card (upgrade) and I installed a bunch of software onto it for the woman who bought it from me... :D

pgwalsh
Jul 10, 2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1
I've been trying to sell mine here in SF for about a month. I think I'll have to go down to $1000 (monitor included!) to get rid of my 533 tower. hmmm....... Try putting in the Palo Alto Weekly or Daily. How much were you originally trying to get for it?