Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mosaic.wav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I am attempting to use wine on my mac for the first time. My problem is that the instructions tell me to "cd to the location, and use ls to make sure you can see the installer file." That would be fine except that I have no idea what it means to "cd" something. Apparently it has something to do with finding my file (even though I know exactly where it is) and the manual does not describe this function's use either. I need to do this in order to install the windows program on wine, so is there anyone who could help?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
command line fu

...the instructions tell me to "cd to the location, and use ls to make sure you can see the installer file."

cd = change directory, that is, from the command line, cd 'whatever' without the quotes to get to the location of the installer.

ls = directory listing, that is, to make sure that after you 'cd' to the correct location that you can see the installer file.

or you could try 'man cd' or 'man ls' on the command line to get the above and all the syntax and options for those commands also. best of luck.

Mosaic.wav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Alright, thank you.

I've got my program up and running; the only problem is that the screen is pitch black. Nothing that supposed to be there is showing up, although the sound works fine. Is there something I didn't run or am I just doing it wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.