Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone guru

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Hey you biking fans out there! The Tour de France 2009 is getting close. I'm really excited and want to follow the event on my iPhone as close as possible. So here is my question:

What is your favourite bike app that is somehow related to the Tour de France?

dougster

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
What is your favourite bike app that is somehow related to the Tour de France?

I found two apps in the AppStore I want to bring up:

1.) Tour de Facts is a nice app for Tour de France news. It shows all the teams and the history of the Tour. All you need to know.

2.) B.iCycle which is a very cool cyclometer app. So I guess it's related to the Tour de France as well. Gives you a moving map showing bike trails plus very precise measurements for speed, distance and calories. If Lance Armstrong would have an iPhone, I guess he would use that app during this years Tour de France. :D

theARNSKI

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Oooo good thread =]

My dad is an avid cyclist, I think before I could even walk he logging in milage on his bicycle. Actually, the other day, he was just talking about how excited he was about how the Tour de France is coming up.

We got him an iPod touch for Father's Day and he's just can't get enough of it. Hopefully this thread builds up some good recommendations for cycling/Tour de France apps!!

iPhone guru

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I found two apps in the AppStore I want to bring up:

1.) Tour de Facts is a nice app for Tour de France news. It shows all the teams and the history of the Tour. All you need to know.

2.) B.iCycle which is a very cool cyclometer app. So I guess it's related to the Tour de France as well. Gives you a moving map showing bike trails plus very precise measurements for speed, distance and calories. If Lance Armstrong would have an iPhone, I guess he would use that app during this years Tour de France. :D

I use B.iCycle as well for any tour I do on both my mountain bike and my road bike. The killer feature is watching my tour in Google Earth at home after my rides. However, I'm not so sure about Lance... ;)

I just downloaded Tour de Facts and will check it later today, thanks for the hint!

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Great thread! I was actually checking out the App Store yesterday to see if there were any apps. Nothing popped out at me though. Might just have to rely on RSS feeds for my Tour news.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
we saw Tour de Facts but the couple of reviews it got are pretty bad.... not sure i want to spend 1.99 to try it out :(

Happy4th.gif

iPhone guru

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I use B.iCycle as well for any tour I do on both my mountain bike and my road bike. The killer feature is watching my tour in Google Earth at home after my rides. However, I'm not so sure about Lance... ;)

I just downloaded Tour de Facts and will check it later today, thanks for the hint!

Tour de Facts is a little bit disappointing from my point of view. Any other news app that might be worth a try???

entrager

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Adaptunes

I think cyclists would really like [app]Adaptunes[/app]. It can automatically adjust music volume based on how fast you are going. I haven't tried it on a bicycle, but it has a pre-made profile for both road and mountain biking.

JEB229

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
For those of you using B.iCycle, do you have your phone mounted to your handlebars? If so what mount do you have and is it stable?

iPhone guru

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
For those of you using B.iCycle, do you have your phone mounted to your handlebars? If so what mount do you have and is it stable?

Hi JEB229! I have the "Bike mount 1" from Richter. I'm really happy with that one because it feels very safe to me and it's very inconspicuous when the iPhone is not attached. Have a look here:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1258/herbert-richter-apple-iphone-jacket-grip

That is the cradle and if you scroll down you will find the mounting options. Go for that one:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1224/herbert-richter-bike-mount

dougster

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
A friend of mine has this one, maybe even better than the Richter solution:

http://www.semsons.com/bimopewiswti2.html

Anyone else with a solution that is worth a look?

That one looks awesome! I have the Richter bike mount 1 but this one might be the better deal since it's cheaper and maybe a little more stylish.

BTW: Anyone with the B.iCycle app visiting Tour de France right now? Would be great if you could share a track via the email feature that you record biking one of the famous mountains! So I can pretend it was me... :)

iPhone guru

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
BTW: Anyone with the B.iCycle app visiting Tour de France right now? Would be great if you could share a track via the email feature that you record biking one of the famous mountains! So I can pretend it was me... :)

That is a great idea dougster! Are you interested in sharing your B.iCycle KML files with me? I some nice emails with my best rides.

dougster

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
That is a great idea dougster! Are you interested in sharing your B.iCycle KML files with me? I some nice emails with my best rides.

That's a great idea. I did a nice 3 hours 40 mi ride over the weekend. The trails looks awesome in Google Earth. Do you want to share?

iPhone guru

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
That's a great idea. I did a nice 3 hours 40 mi ride over the weekend. The trails looks awesome in Google Earth. Do you want to share?

Just send a private message with your email address and I will forward the mail I received from B.iCycle with both the KML and the GPX file! But be prepared to forward me your best ride as well. :cool:

dougster

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Just send a private message with your email address and I will forward the mail I received from B.iCycle with both the KML and the GPX file! But be prepared to forward me your best ride as well. :cool:

I just did a very nice one: 4 hours and 106 km. Very cool to check that out on Google Earth! :D

dougster

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
YEAH! That one is cool! Anyone else ready to share your KML file? :cool:

I heard that FOX news did a feature about B.iCycle and they showcased a trail through Central Park in NYC. I have not seen the video. Does anyone know where that is linked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.