PDA

View Full Version : !@#$ network help plz! network sees mac but no shared folders

2manyusernames
Jul 3, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hello. I have a MacBook Pro running 10.5.7 which I am trying to network with an iMac and more importantly a PC running XP. The MacBook Pro has always been able to get files from the other two machines, even before I did anything in System Pref. Now I have set up the laptop according to all instructions I could find, basically all saying what it tells you here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549
The other computers can now see my laptop, but when I enter the laptop through the PC or iMac via the network, they can't see any of the folders I have shared. There is only one account on my laptop, the firewall is not the problem, and I have enabled guests' abilities to access shared folders in SystemPref>System>Accounts.
Something that might be the problem is this: all the instructions I've viewed say that when I add users in SystemPref>Sharing, I'm supposed to be able to choose from the following groups: Users & Groups, Address Book, and Network Users. The laptop does not offer a Network Users option, only the other two. I found something on the internet about setting up an Open Directory Domain in Directory Utility in order to see Network Users, but it fails to verify any IP or server name I put in there (I assumed that if I want it to be seen by the Windows computer that I should put in that name/number, but that didn't work, and at this point it's starting to get into stuff that's over my head anyway). I also tried adding the PC's IP in the WINS Servers field in SysPref>Network (though it is already reading the correct workgroup), but that did nothing either.
I'm not sure what to do at this point and it's getting quite frustrating; when a million web pages all tell you that something is easy as pie and then it doesn't work for what seems to be no reason, well, yea: frustrating. I am by no means a dumb mac user, in fact I use macs every day working with professional audio; I have no idea why this is not working. Thanks in advance for any help, I really need it!