PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac drive to Mac Pro

MotleyPete
Jul 3, 2009, 07:52 AM
Is it possible to take the hard drive out of my old Power Mac (G4 MDD dual 1.25) and put it in my Mac pro?

If it's a pain I won't bother, I don't need it that badly, but I was just wondering if it were possible.

ian.maffett
Jul 3, 2009, 07:54 AM
No, not if it's a G4 - they have completely different interfaces (connections).

--But:
You could:

A: connect the 2 Macs directly via firewire and boot the old G4 while holding T (target mode) to see it on your Pro

B: put the old drive in an enclosure and connect via USB to keep your data on it whilst shutting down the G4.

MotleyPete
Jul 3, 2009, 07:55 AM
Ok, thanks for the quick response.

It was just an idle curiosity really.

Timmahman
Jul 3, 2009, 11:11 AM
Sonnet makes an adapter that converts IDE to SATA :D
But, its probably cheaper just to get a SATA drive or to just transfer your data from one drive to the other.

Tallest Skil
Jul 3, 2009, 11:12 AM

Sure, but it can't fit.

Dr.Pants
Jul 3, 2009, 11:20 AM
But, its probably cheaper just to get a SATA drive or to just transfer your data from one drive to the other.

Probably the easiest way to do it would be to get an external SATA drive enclosure with a new SATA drive, attach it to your G4, then use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to move the files around, then insert the drive in the MacPro.

macz1
Jul 3, 2009, 11:46 AM
If you have a Mac Pro which is NOT the 09 model you should be able to connect the drive with the cables in the second optical bay (below DVD drive) of the Mac Pro. Worked for me.