PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 17" won't start- grey screen > fans

will0407
Jul 3, 2009, 09:09 AM
My Mum has just turned on our family computer- an iMac G5, 1.9ghz 17" (first model with built in iSight).

It gets to the grey screen with the apple, with the loading icon below it, then after about a minute the fans turn out pretty loudly, and it goes no further, just stays on the grey screen.

Any ideas why this is?!

zmttoxics
Jul 3, 2009, 09:18 AM
My Mum has just turned on our family computer- an iMac G5, 1.9ghz 17" (first model with built in iSight).

It gets to the grey screen with the apple, with the loading icon below it, then after about a minute the fans turn out pretty loudly, and it goes no further, just stays on the grey screen.

Any ideas why this is?!

This could be bad ram or a bad harddrive. I would try swapping the sticks around (1 moves to 2, 2 moves to 1). If you have a clone on an external, I would see if you can boot it.

Other this to try:
-Reset PRAM (hold CMD + OPT + P + R on boot)
-Boot the install disk and repair the disk
-Do a reinstall

The iMac G5s have a bad rep for faulty motherboards. Good luck though!

will0407
Jul 3, 2009, 09:37 AM
This could be bad ram or a bad harddrive. I would try swapping the sticks around (1 moves to 2, 2 moves to 1). If you have a clone on an external, I would see if you can boot it.

Other this to try:
-Reset PRAM (hold CMD + OPT + P + R on boot)
-Boot the install disk and repair the disk
-Do a reinstall

The iMac G5s have a bad rep for faulty motherboards. Good luck though!

ive tried resetting the PRAM, that hasn't worked. I' think it only has 1 RAM stick- 512MB is built in, and we have a 2GB stick we put in ourselves.

I'll get my dad to repair the disk when he gets in and see what happens.