Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
My Mum has just turned on our family computer- an iMac G5, 1.9ghz 17" (first model with built in iSight).

It gets to the grey screen with the apple, with the loading icon below it, then after about a minute the fans turn out pretty loudly, and it goes no further, just stays on the grey screen.

Any ideas why this is?!

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
My Mum has just turned on our family computer- an iMac G5, 1.9ghz 17" (first model with built in iSight).

It gets to the grey screen with the apple, with the loading icon below it, then after about a minute the fans turn out pretty loudly, and it goes no further, just stays on the grey screen.

Any ideas why this is?!

This could be bad ram or a bad harddrive. I would try swapping the sticks around (1 moves to 2, 2 moves to 1). If you have a clone on an external, I would see if you can boot it.

Other this to try:
-Reset PRAM (hold CMD + OPT + P + R on boot)
-Boot the install disk and repair the disk
-Do a reinstall

The iMac G5s have a bad rep for faulty motherboards. Good luck though!

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
This could be bad ram or a bad harddrive. I would try swapping the sticks around (1 moves to 2, 2 moves to 1). If you have a clone on an external, I would see if you can boot it.

Other this to try:
-Reset PRAM (hold CMD + OPT + P + R on boot)
-Boot the install disk and repair the disk
-Do a reinstall

The iMac G5s have a bad rep for faulty motherboards. Good luck though!

ive tried resetting the PRAM, that hasn't worked. I' think it only has 1 RAM stick- 512MB is built in, and we have a 2GB stick we put in ourselves.

I'll get my dad to repair the disk when he gets in and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.