Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I really want to learn final cut pro .. I am currently in school and i am taking an editing class in the fall which is all about final cut pro but I believe it is going to be basic stuff .. but I want to learn it sooner .. are their any training courses or workshops I can take that any of you know of ?

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I learned almost everything from youtube.com/appleshakeguru
you should read the manual, it's only 1200 pages :p
I read the begin, but I thought it was too much. However it's explained extremely well. Everything is explained in a logic and "noob" way. So you need no experience whatsoever to understand the manual. And it covers everything.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I will second, third and forth Lynda.com
best site, hands down, better than so many of my college courses! Phenomenal
site...check it for Everthing software. They may have the most extensive Adobe
creative suite schooling online and at $25 a month it's a freaking bargain:)

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Try lynda.com First

I will second, third and forth Lynda.com
best site, hands down, better than so many of my college courses! Phenomenal
site...check it for Everthing software. They may have the most extensive Adobe
creative suite schooling online and at $25 a month it's a freaking bargain:)

The Larry Jordan tutorials at lynda.com are really top notch. These tutorials also go through some important things that are not in the manual or the Apple Pro Training Series. The people here recommended them to me to learn FCP, and I would have had a really hard time with the program had it not been without them. I would suggest going through them first, as it is much easier to see the program work than read about it. This will get you pretty far.

Then, after the lynda.com tutorials, at least read all of the Apple Pro Training Series Level 1 and whatever chapters interest you of Level 2. I do not suggest starting with the manual, though you will certainty use it.

have fun,
Chris

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
The Apple Pro Training Series books are really good. I liked Larry jordan's tutorials and used lynda to dip into FCP 5. I still had some mental blocks, coming from the audio world! Then I used macProVideo's FCP 6 101 and found the trainer, Michael Wohl, to be very easy to follow for me. Apparently he was one of the original designers of FCP.

There are some great resources out there!

deej

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
....and found the trainer, Michael Wohl, to be very easy to follow for me. Apparently he was one of the original designers of FCP....

He was indeed - and one of the very first people to be hired by Macromedia, before the project was sold on to Apple.

A few years ago, I got his 'Editing Techniques with Final Cut Pro' - a fantastic book, whatever the reader's level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.