PDA

View Full Version : Lee Tom's WWDC Predictions

LeeTom
Jun 1, 2004, 05:52 PM
Give or take a 1-200 MHz on these... that's the hardest part.

iMac G5
1.8GHz 15" & 17", 2.0Ghz 20"
Otherwise, mostly identical to iMac G4, including design

PowerMac G5
Dual 2.5GHz, Dual 2.2GHz, 2.0Ghz
Extra slots for internal, external drives
Dual-layer Superdrive
PCI-X Graphics

Aluminum Displays
Possibly all switched to Aluminum, but at least what is now the 23" will be replaced with aluminum, at the same or different size.

Updated iPods
60gb, 40gb, 20gb
Same basic design w/ dock connector
Video-out capability

1 Surprise... Updated iApp, new iAppliance, or ...?

Lee Tom

applemacdude
Jun 1, 2004, 06:48 PM
And where are you getting this?

aswitcher
Jun 1, 2004, 06:51 PM

iMac G5

Lee Tom

Both these items would be good to see

abhishekit
Jun 1, 2004, 07:01 PM
what bout new pb?

LeeTom
Jun 1, 2004, 07:06 PM
I'm getting this from my own experience, watching past predictions and updates, and all the info that is out there now. I think it'll be pretty close.

New powerbooks, are you kidding me? They just came out! You'll be lucky to see a speed bump before January '05, and even then you'd better pray for a G5.

King Cobra
Jun 1, 2004, 07:08 PM
I say new PowerMac updates (2.2, 2.6, and 3.0 GHz models as reported before), and possibly an update to the iPod-minis of some sort.

I also predict that the PowerBooks get a G5 update before the iMac does, and that the iMac won't see an update to G5 until 2005.

I predict no update to the displays yet, maybe price drops on the current ones, IF that happens (which I doubt).

I am 50/50 on a new iPod-like device at this point...

Macmaniac
Jun 1, 2004, 07:09 PM
I really hope they update the iMac line, the iMac needs a G5 processor because the eMac is making the iMac look like a piece of you know what for its price. The iMac needs to have better performance if it is going to command such a high price.

Sun Baked
Jun 1, 2004, 07:10 PM
Either AMD releases a combo PCI-e graphics/PCI-X HT Tunnel, or we don't see PCI-e yet -- new chipset most likely required for this.

Along with actually getting an ADC version of a PCI-e card/connector/etc. built, and we always are at the end of the line for getting new card due to ADC right now.

Would be really nice to see aluminum displays with a DVI connector. And quicker adoption of the latest graphics cards.

But what's the chance of that happening? :(

quagmire
Jun 1, 2004, 07:10 PM
Are you crazy having a consumer machine so close in speed to a pro machine? I support the speed configureation for the imac G5. My take on the speed for the Pmac G5 wil be 2.4 Ghz, Dual 2.6 Ghz, Dual 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz.

wheelshanna
Jun 1, 2004, 07:14 PM
Well,
I think you might be underestimating the power of Steve.
I think we will 100% see a 3GHz G5 PM.
I also think that we will see the Al displays but there will be a 30" model.
Although this prediction is based on no facts, I have a source (don't we all) who is an Apple employee, and although they would not give the thumbs up on these they would not deny them either.

My 2 cents but I think these will prove to be correct.

LeeTom
Jun 1, 2004, 07:20 PM
iMacs and new G5s are definitely coming, read this, and think about what it means, logically:
http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2004-06-01#2206

Powerbooks just got an update, it will be much harder to get the G5 in the powerbook form factor. Apple will forgo it this time, and get them in the Powerbooks ASAP.

The last time Apple had a display promo, the 20" display was introduced, the 22" was dropped, and the 23" dropped in price dramatically immediately after it ended. Display updates have been rumored for a while now, and sure enough, we have a new promo.

As far as consumer machines being too close to the pro's... well, you may be right. Like I said, the MHz is the hardest to predict for me.

The iMac will have no significant cosmetic change. They depend on the image.

Lee Tom

King Cobra
Jun 1, 2004, 07:20 PM
I also think that we will see the Al displays but there will be a 30" model.
Although this prediction is based on no facts, I have a source (don't we all) who is an Apple employee, and although they would not give the thumbs up on these they would not deny them either.

IF Apple is able to sell such a large display for under $3000 right on the first day of its release, then it might as well be a go.

As for the 3.0GHz rumors/facts/announcement... We can all be sure of one thing this year at the Worldwide Developer's Conference:
Steve's reputation is on the line.

BornAgainMac
Jun 1, 2004, 08:07 PM
If it weighted 2 pounds, perhaps had a G3 and got 8 hours of battery power with a 9 inch or 10 inch screen for a grand I would buy one. People are quick to point out that I'll have to carry around an external CD drive but I don't have to carry the CD drive if I am not going to use it.

It would be super cool and probably have a lot of switchers interested in it. It could be a runaway hit like the Mini iPod.

I guess it will never happen, have to look for this product in the Windows world minus the G3 and no OS X.

King Cobra
Jun 1, 2004, 08:34 PM
This might be of some interest to you then: http://news.com.com/1606-2-5222650.html

GrannySmith_G5
Jun 1, 2004, 08:39 PM
last years wwdc: panther preview, intro of isight, intro of PM G5

this years wwdc: tiger preview, new cinema displays, new PM G5

Maybe imac during apple expo paris? Seems unlikely, but I wouldn't call it impossible. I just would assume that half of the wwdc keynote, and the main attraction, will be tiger. I don't see a flurry of announcements happening. It certainly seems like a good venue to unleash Quicktime 7-completely refreshed and bad ass, however. Doesn't matter, I'm one of the weirdos who is most excited about tiger anyway- the one thing we KNOW will be displayed.

JOD8FY
Jun 1, 2004, 08:44 PM
Maybe imac during apple expo paris?

I think that there is a possibility that the iMacs could go G5 at WWDC. I would think that they would surely get updated - even if it's only to 1.5Ghz G4 :(.

Here's to G5 iMacs at WWDC ;),
JOD8FY

Kwyjibo
Jun 1, 2004, 09:08 PM
i don't expect to see much ipod news except about its success and that the ipod mini is now availible for all (this will be late june so hopefully they will be plentiful by then). I would like to see cinema display updates but i'm not counting on them. the bottom line is that they are displays not computers so they are more liekly to see a price drop than a complete revamp.

i'd also like to see the desktop updates and do expect the 3.0 ghz g5 and below them with an imac g5 at current g5 speeds, they really need to do something with that line.

LeeTom
Jun 1, 2004, 09:20 PM
I forgot about the Apple Expo in Paris. Well, it may be that the iPod update will wait, but I still think that the G5, iMac, and display updates are correct. Possibly mention of a Quad capable XServe?? who knows, now i'm just drifting.............. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Lee Tom

invaLPsion
Jun 1, 2004, 09:43 PM

iMac G5

PowerMac G5
Dual-layer Superdrive
PCI-X Graphics

Aluminum Displays
Possibly all switched to Aluminum, but at least what is now the 23" will be replaced with aluminum, at the same or different size.

Updated iPods
60gb, 40gb, 20gb
Video-out capability

Lee Tom

Those predictions seem dead-on to me but I expect the powermacs to be 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6.

Windowlicker
Jun 2, 2004, 02:24 AM
what bout new pb?

don't think they'll be updated just yet, but if they do, i'll highly consider buying one.

Bear
Jun 2, 2004, 07:34 AM
I think that the next revisions of the Powermac might have more than 200MHz between models. MOr elike 250 or 300MHz between models. At the higher speeds, the products need to have that to be more differentiated.

So try this on for size: 2.4GHz, 2.7GHz and 3GHz. or maybe 2.0GHz, 2.3GHz & 2.6GHz. Of course most (if not all) of the models will be dual processor.

Bear
Jun 2, 2004, 07:36 AM
I forgot about the Apple Expo in Paris. Well, it may be that the iPod update will wait, but I still think that the G5, iMac, and display updates are correct. Possibly mention of a Quad capable XServe?? who knows, now i'm just drifting.............. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Lee TomAs this point, a Quad Xserve might have to be 2 rack units instead of 1. I don't know if they would go for that. On the other paw, a Quad G5 Powermac would make sense for a high end [video/graphics] workstation.

wrldwzrd89
Jun 2, 2004, 07:44 AM
I say new PowerMac updates (2.2, 2.6, and 3.0 GHz models as reported before), and possibly an update to the iPod-minis of some sort.

I also predict that the PowerBooks get a G5 update before the iMac does, and that the iMac won't see an update to G5 until 2005.

I predict no update to the displays yet, maybe price drops on the current ones, IF that happens (which I doubt).

I am 50/50 on a new iPod-like device at this point...
Here are my predictions, which aren't anything like yours:

I predict that we will definitely see 3.0 GHz PowerMacs, but the low-end speed won't be 2.2 GHz...it'll be higher (2.5, 2.75, and 3.0 GHz PowerMacs).

My prediction for PowerBook/iMac G5 updates is that both will go G5 in one update, either at WWDC 2004 or in January 2005.

The Apple displays will see minor updates - not the anticipated Aluminum revision, but maybe cosmetic/functional changes such as increased adjustability.

I don't think an iPod-like device is very likely at this point. Who knows - Apple might still surprise us.

keysersoze
Jun 2, 2004, 08:51 AM
I agree that LeeTom's specs are good, but I also agree that it would have the Pro and Consumer lines too close together.

I think the iMac G5 would have 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 configs. The 1.4 and 1.6 would have 17" screens and the 1.8 would have a 20". I think that they have to be able to sell the entry iMac G5 for a fairly inexpensive price, especially if rumors are true on an EOL for the eMac. $1299? :) Drop the price on current G4 iMacs $200...

mactastic
Jun 2, 2004, 09:39 AM
So if we see any of these updates at the WWDC, any guesses on when the first units start to arrive in customers hands? (Huh huh... he said units ;) ) It took quite a while for the first round of G5s to start flowing... Maybe around a 6 to 8 week lag between announcement and actual shipping?

vollspacken
Jun 2, 2004, 02:12 PM
iMac G5
(...)

PowerMac G5
(...)

Aluminum Displays
(...)

Updated iPods
(...)

hmm, not bad, sounds pretty reasonable to me...

I don't know about that "iAppliance" though... an iTunes streaming box for my home-stereo would be cool :)

vSpacken

LeeTom
Jun 9, 2004, 02:22 PM

iMac G5

PowerMac G5
Dual-layer Superdrive
PCI-X Graphics

Aluminum Displays

Updated iPods
60gb, 40gb, 20gb
Video-out capability

Lee Tom

BAM! I was the only one to suggest 2.5 as the top speed. YES!
G5 2.5GHZ - CHECK

The updated iAppliance - Airport Express - CHECK!

One more month, and this thread will be reality, although iPods might take some extra time. Not bad for my first prediction, eh?

Lee Tom

Kwyjibo
Jun 9, 2004, 03:33 PM
BAM! I was the only one to suggest 2.5 as the top speed. YES!
G5 2.5GHZ - CHECK

The updated iAppliance - Airport Express - CHECK!

One more month, and this thread will be reality, although iPods might take some extra time. Not bad for my first prediction, eh?

Lee Tom

umm you get a point for guessing the 2.5 ghz but you lose one for saying 2.2 ghz ...

and updated i Appliance? thats really vague its like saying i think computer will get faster ... and airport isn't reall an iAppliance like an iPod.

aussie_geek
Jun 10, 2004, 12:33 AM

I think the new iAppliance is the Airport Express.

aussie_geek

vollspacken
Jun 10, 2004, 03:59 AM
I don't know about that "iAppliance" though... an iTunes streaming box for my home-stereo would be cool :)

cool, I got exactly what I wanted :) go Steve!!!

vSpacken

ChrisH3677
Jun 10, 2004, 04:28 AM
Are you crazy having a consumer machine so close in speed to a pro machine?

what's wrong with this? they're totally different markets. In the PC world, consumers can buy any speed they want. Even an iMac G5 3Ghz would hardly touch sales of new PM G5 duals. And if they did, that would prove that the desire for internal expandability was a myth. Hmmm? Maybe they should to test the commitment of those who claim this... :D

PS Nice predicting Lee Tom. Well done. I hope tho there's an iApp soon... Appleworks 7 would be xmas come early.