Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I got a cool looking metallic blue at the mall kiosk. Looks like an incase but has felt inside to avoid scratching the back. Its made of an extremly hard rubber that feels like plastic. Fits great and does not seem cheap.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
I got a cool looking metallic blue at the mall kiosk. Looks like an incase but has felt inside to avoid scratching the back. Its made of an extremly hard rubber that feels like plastic. Fits great and does not seem cheap.

Got some pics.....I wanna see!

Silverfist

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
For the price, the Skech case isn't bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VrkL30Cvyk

YouTube vid of a review of the blue Skech.

I bought the red metallic one... nice snug fit, feels sturdy; I also like the fact that the bottom portion slides off fairly easy (the one I bought is a simple tension hold rather than the tab clip seen in the video -- maybe a difference between UK and USA styles) so I can still plug my iPhone to the Monster FM transmitter in my car (I swear, the Monster has the biggest, most ungainly plug that's too large for EVERY case I've tried on any iPod...)

I seem to remember it coming with a screen protector as well, but I don't use it since I prefer the oleophobic glass on the 3GS.

geltab

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
don't buy this case

a month after purchase all of the coating is coming off. on the top by the screen, that is completely off and on the sides it is bubbling up like it is ready to come off there too.

cueballbil

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
I saw these cases at my local mall. Ontario California. I too thought about buying one. Anyone else have problems with the coating coming off or bubbling??

DoeDoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
Yeah, I wouldn't buy it.

So, I was walking through the mall in Ontario as well, and I saw this case too! The :apple: iPlay & Talk :apple: stand next to the food court. Vendor has a thick European accent.

The Skech case looks and feels amazing. But the price ($30) made me look into it first. I came across this thread and notice someone had a problem with it chipping.

So I went back and looked at the demo that was out. IT HAS CHIPS IN IT! He tried to explain it as "kids step on them," and then proceeded with a test of it's durability. He rubbed it against a flat wood counter. Unfortunately for him, that didn't work out to well. It left a mark (not a chip). My girlfriend decided to test it too. She lightly(!) tapped it against the counter and it left a chip on the side of the case. :( . He then threw in a 30 day warranty. :p .

At first, he offered $30 for the case and $30 for the "lifetime warranty" screen protector. (OMG, $30 screen protector? RIP-OFF!!!) Price then drops to $25 EACH! But I wasn't going to spend $25 on a screen protector. So he offered $30 for the Skech case + REGULAR screen protector. Ehh.. After showing him the chips on the case, I was able to get it down to ........

dun dun dun!!!!!

$50 for 2x Skech Cases PLUS 2x Screen protectors + 30-day warranty. =P

Probably a good deal but I still decided against it. So I recommend that you stay away from this product!!

But if you STILL want it, don't buy it for more than $25 for case + 30 warranty + screen protector (non-lifetime warranty on screen protector).

BTW, after leaving the stand he said, and I quote, "Go away! This isn't for you! Next time don't waste my time!"

I was nice too! T___T Well, hope this helps anybody considering it!

EDIT: Chips = Coating coming off. Never noticed bubbling.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Buyer Beware!

Mall stores and kiosks are generally a ripoff, unless they are selling a reputable brand.

Save your money and get a nice case for $5 from eBay. They come from china and take 2 weeks, but well worth it.

I think I now have 30 cases. :)

DoeDoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
I found a good alternative!

I bought a VERY similar item on ebay for $5.99 + Free Shipping! (Black)

The red, blue, and pink ones are $1 more but include a screen guard.
$6.99 + Free Screen Guard + Free shipping

It is the 2-piece slider case. It has the felt inside too, just like the Skech!
UPDATE: The black one has felt. The red does not. Not sure about other colors.

At least for this price I wouldn't mind if it ever chips or bubbles. :D

If you want to find it, I bought it on ebay from seller empire_accessory

Estellia

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
So, I was walking through the mall in Ontario as well, and I saw this case too! The :apple: iPlay & Talk :apple: stand next to the food court. Vendor has a thick European accent.

The Skech case looks and feels amazing. But the price ($30) made me look into it first. I came across this thread and notice someone had a problem with it chipping.

So I went back and looked at the demo that was out. IT HAS CHIPS IN IT! He tried to explain it as "kids step on them," and then proceeded with a test of it's durability. He rubbed it against a flat wood counter. Unfortunately for him, that didn't work out to well. It left a mark (not a chip). My girlfriend decided to test it too. She lightly(!) tapped it against the counter and it left a chip on the side of the case. :( . He then threw in a 30 day warranty. :p .

At first, he offered $30 for the case and $30 for the "lifetime warranty" screen protector. (OMG, $30 screen protector? RIP-OFF!!!) Price then drops to $25 EACH! But I wasn't going to spend $25 on a screen protector. So he offered $30 for the Skech case + REGULAR screen protector. Ehh.. After showing him the chips on the case, I was able to get it down to ........

dun dun dun!!!!!

$50 for 2x Skech Cases PLUS 2x Screen protectors + 30-day warranty. =P

Probably a good deal but I still decided against it. So I recommend that you stay away from this product!!

But if you STILL want it, don't buy it for more than $25 for case + 30 warranty + screen protector (non-lifetime warranty on screen protector).

BTW, after leaving the stand he said, and I quote, "Go away! This isn't for you! Next time don't waste my time!"

I was nice too! T___T Well, hope this helps anybody considering it!

EDIT: Chips = Coating coming off. Never noticed bubbling.

i actually bought from iPlay N talk kiosk a cases for myself as well couple month ago. and it got chipped in the back of the cases.
so i went back to the kiosk and the sales person was soooo nice to me that he exchange the cases for me to new one. i was so happy - it made my day!!!!:)
i definetely think that SKECH products are not rip off, because if you go to Apple store that where you get RIPPED OFF. and the colour range that SKECH has no comparison with Apple.
so i suggest for you to go if you not happy with your product and it chipped off for some reason - go back to the kiosk and definetly believe that they will exchange to a new one..

sindamv

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Skech case for iPhone 4

I have not had any issues with chipping. The case is far better than what the Apple store recommended for my husband's iPhone 4. Protects the top power button well.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
i actually bought from iPlay N talk kiosk a cases for myself as well couple month ago. and it got chipped in the back of the cases.
so i went back to the kiosk and the sales person was soooo nice to me that he exchange the cases for me to new one. i was so happy - it made my day!!!!:)
i definetely think that SKECH products are not rip off, because if you go to Apple store that where you get RIPPED OFF. and the colour range that SKECH has no comparison with Apple.
so i suggest for you to go if you not happy with your product and it chipped off for some reason - go back to the kiosk and definetly believe that they will exchange to a new one..

My head hurts after reading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellebelle11

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
I've had the shiny orange SKECH case for the last 6 months, and for someone who drops their phone alot (I'm a klutz), let me tell you- this case is a lifesaver. Yeah, it's pretty scratched up, but it keeps my phone working in perfect condition. I LOVE love love this case.

Yves555

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Skech cases are really, really good; look really good and are great protection for your iPhone (or iPod). The bad news is, they disconcontinued the iPhone 3G model (probably from dropping demand). The iPhone 4/4S cases are still being produced but I think the iPhone 3G cases can still be purchased from www.bluebug.biz

yehudah72

macrumors regular
May 4, 2008
My friend owns the Skech company and I can tell you that he's always working on perfecting the cases, coming up with new designs, and trying to make products that users will enjoy!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.