PDA

View Full Version : Apple in- ear headphones Qs

wywern209
Jul 3, 2009, 11:54 PM
A few questions on these headphones.

1. Do these headphones have the problem of wire rustling?

2. Are they easy to clean?
I've owned some hp that were a pain to clean.

3. Are they comfortable and can they be worn for a long time?

Scepticalscribe
Jul 4, 2009, 12:29 PM
Not sure about a), but b) yes, and c), no, they're not. I hardly use mine as I find them very uncomfortable. Instead, I have a pair of Bose - ear-muffler type head-phones for when I'm at home and a pair of in-ear Bang & Olufsen pods complete with ear loops for travelling.

Cheers and good luck

Galley
Jul 4, 2009, 09:25 PM
I've worn mine for as long as three hours before, and they never bothered me.

bozz2006
Jul 4, 2009, 09:38 PM
I had them, and didn't like them. I got them specifically to use with my third gen shuffle while exercising. Once any amount of sweat came into contact with the volume clicker thing, they went to full blast and didn't go down. They didn't sound very good. They always slowly worked their way out of my ear canal meaning i had to push them back in constantly. I would not recommend these headphones at all. I sent them back and still use my etymotic er-6i's.

bottom line, there are much better headphones out there in the $80 range.

MichaelBarry
Jul 5, 2009, 05:18 AM
I had them, and didn't like them. I got them specifically to use with my third gen shuffle while exercising. Once any amount of sweat came into contact with the volume clicker thing, they went to full blast and didn't go down. They didn't sound very good. They always slowly worked their way out of my ear canal meaning i had to push them back in constantly. I would not recommend these headphones at all. I sent them back and still use my etymotic er-6i's.

bottom line, there are much better headphones out there in the $80 range.

they're not designed for exercising. there are specific earphones that are designed not to fall out during movement.

akbc
Jul 5, 2009, 05:52 AM
They're great earphones, but I wouldn't recommend it for running and active stuff...

bozz2006
Jul 5, 2009, 08:01 AM
they're not designed for exercising. there are specific earphones that are designed not to fall out during movement.

I don't have to be exercising for them to slide out. I also said they don't sound as good as I think $80 earphones ought to. And, I'm sorry, but the fact that they blast you if you exercise with them is simply an engineering oversight. They should have sealed the mechanism and their would be no problem with that. Maybe they aren't designed for exercising, but then you'd have to say that the earbuds that come with the 3G shuffle aren't for exercising either, which is fine until you realize that the ipod shuffle is geared toward exercising.

gan6660
Jul 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
I bought them but they were definetly uncomfortable. I tryed them once and it gave me a headache. I even bought too pairs one for home and one for the car but I gave one set to a friend for a PS3 game and sold the other here in the Marketplace.

Ericatomars
Jul 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm actually wearing mine now and lately the left side has been going out. I've taken good care of them. I lost one of the ear pieces. It was a small so now im using the medium and thats kinda upsetting. I like that i can use them as an ear piece for my phone (LG DARE). I dont think they are worth the money but the sound quality is good and they dont fall out my ears. The wire does make a noise when moving around but the wire doesn't stiffen up in the cold so thats pretty cool... In ear headphones are so hard to choose.. Before i had the bose and i loved them but they got stolen at school. The original ipod headphones the speakers blew out...

AussieMacman
Jul 7, 2009, 02:24 AM
The only probs i have with them is their incompatability with Iphones before the 3gs, whats the point of making headphones, after a product release that dont work with their biggest selling product. Bad Apple! Otherwise theyre great!:rolleyes:

ZenAmateur
Jul 7, 2009, 09:18 AM
I purchased the in-ear headphones as soon as they came out, as I had a pair of Creative EP-630 In-Ear Headphones that cost about $40 and I really liked the sound and was even considering splicing them to a pair of Apple earbuds to get the controls for my iPhone. However, there is cord noise, not as bad as the Creative version, but there nonetheless.

However, after wearing them for some time I realized that I just didn't like the sound all that much, they just seemed like they were too harsh, all the highs and lows seemed separated and not very life like. I also missed being able to turn them down slightly and still having the ability to hear what people were saying to me.

They didn't seem too hard to clean, but I don't have much earwax, so it never was much of a problem.

When I got my 3GS, it came with a new version of the earbuds, with the volume control and I really like these, the sound seems improved from the earlier version and access to the volume controls make me very happy.

Jon-Luke
Jul 7, 2009, 11:01 AM
I have the Apple in-ear earphones and I love them!

They do not fall out of my ears and I think that has to do with selecting the correct cushion size for your ears, also selecting the right size has a definite impact on the sound quality and may I add that this is consistent with all in-ear earphones.

I have owned various models of in-ear earphones before these and I would say that they are amongst the most comfortable I have owned and definitely an improvement on the older Apple in-ear earphones which I still have and which do have a tendency to fall out no matter what size cushion you select.

The sound quality is excellent, a really flat honest true sound that will playback sound the way it was recorded with no massive bass or any distortion which many of these types of earphones are prone to do.

Q-1. I live by the ocean and I have had these earphones for about six months and have not noticed any signs of rusting - to be honest I don't think the materials used can rust.

Q-2. They are very easy to clean and you can screw off the metal mesh caps quite easily, replace them with the spares and then clean them (I leave them overnight in a cleaning solution, then rinse them off and dry them out and store them ready for the next cleaning)

Q-3. I find them to be very comfortable and often use them while I work on my computer some times for up to four hours with no complaints.

I highly recommend them. You will be hard pressed to get better sounding earphones for $79 and the added bonus of the remote with mic is great.

:p:apple:

bozz2006
Jul 7, 2009, 06:13 PM
etymotic er-6i (http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-White/dp/B0002ZW5W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247008336&sr=8-2)

jauhari
Feb 2, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have the Apple in-ear earphones and I love them!

They do not fall out of my ears and I think that has to do with selecting the correct cushion size for your ears, also selecting the right size has a definite impact on the sound quality and may I add that this is consistent with all in-ear earphones.

I have owned various models of in-ear earphones before these and I would say that they are amongst the most comfortable I have owned and definitely an improvement on the older Apple in-ear earphones which I still have and which do have a tendency to fall out no matter what size cushion you select.

The sound quality is excellent, a really flat honest true sound that will playback sound the way it was recorded with no massive bass or any distortion which many of these types of earphones are prone to do.

Q-1. I live by the ocean and I have had these earphones for about six months and have not noticed any signs of rusting - to be honest I don't think the materials used can rust.

Q-2. They are very easy to clean and you can screw off the metal mesh caps quite easily, replace them with the spares and then clean them (I leave them overnight in a cleaning solution, then rinse them off and dry them out and store them ready for the next cleaning)

Q-3. I find them to be very comfortable and often use them while I work on my computer some times for up to four hours with no complaints.

I highly recommend them. You will be hard pressed to get better sounding earphones for $79 and the added bonus of the remote with mic is great.

:p:apple:

Thanks for your review

SactoGuy18
Feb 3, 2010, 07:53 AM
At the price Apple wants for the Apple Dual-Driver In-Ear Monitor (ADDIEM), I'll wait for a few weeks until Etymotic Research mc2 IEM with iPod/iPhone controls arrive on the market (suggested retail price US$99). Given Etymotic's well-known excellent sound quality, I'll go with the mc2, especially since I have spare Comply Foam Tx-100 ear tips that work with the mc2. :)

NightStorm
Feb 3, 2010, 10:07 AM
I found the replacement tips from the site below give a tighter seal and stay in my ears better than the stock ones.

http://www.complyfoam.com/

Arran
Feb 3, 2010, 11:57 AM
A few questions on these headphones.

1. Do these headphones have the problem of wire rustling?

2. Are they easy to clean?
I've owned some hp that were a pain to clean.

3. Are they comfortable and can they be worn for a long time?

1. Yes. But a 'rustle' is good! It tells me I've got an airtight seal - which is essential for good bass and noise isolation. I always adjust mine until the wires audibly 'rustle' like a stethoscope. Then I know I'm good.

2. Yes. Although I lightly superglued the rubber tips on because they occasionally popped off and fell to the floor. Usually at the worst possible moment, like disembarking a plane with a packed aisle behind me :). They're still easy to keep clean.

3. I've gone about 2-3 hours with no problem. Other in-ears would be hurting by then, but Apple's are the most comfortable I've owned.

I've decided in-ears are like shoes: Everyone's ears are shaped differently (not just S, M and L :) ), so you'll have to try a few pairs on before finding the best for you. There's no getting around that - other than having custom earmoulds made. I've owned in-ears priced at $300 and found them atrocious (zero bass, tinny sound, constantly falling out). These were the same $300 'phones that others were absolutely raving about. So I guess my ear canals are oddly shaped?

I love my Apple In-ears, btw. Like others have mentioned above; crisp clear, natural sound and great sound isolation (I fly a lot). And at $80, it's not the end of the world if I break or lose them.

Happy shopping - and good luck.

Arran
Feb 3, 2010, 12:05 PM
etymotic er-6i (http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-White/dp/B0002ZW5W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247008336&sr=8-2)

Wow $76.71 on Amazon! Good deal. Didn't they used to be around the $200 mark?

BTW, Much as I wanted them to, the triple flanges didn't work for me.

ethankramer
Mar 31, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think the sound quality is great and they're very comfortable for use at work, coffee shop, etc. The noise isolation is good for calm activities, but you're all right they're no good for exercising. I think though that if you bought after market foam tips instead of silicone they'd fit in better. I have some shure in ears that are designed for sound board technicians at concerts and they came with 10 different ear tips and you have to yank pretty darn hard to get one of those out, which can be jarring if you get it caught in an elliptical handle or something. The microphone is really nice though if you're in an office and want to block out outside noise so you can hear your calls.