PDA

View Full Version : Apple G4/Display Promo until Aug 12th

arn
Jul 8, 2002, 06:36 PM
Buy a Power Mac G4 and any qualifying Apple flat-panel display between July 9 and August 12, 2002, and get a picture-perfect deal. You'll save up to $500 on your choice of the 17-inch Apple Studio Display, the 22-inch Apple Cinema Display, or the breathtaking 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

With rebates being extended to Aug 12th, 2002, it brings into question the immediate availability of new PowerMacs at MWNY.

Simon Liquid
Jul 8, 2002, 06:45 PM
It seems to me that more time between being anounced and released means bigger changes than a different plastic front plate and a faster chip in the same old motherboard...

Backtothemac
Jul 8, 2002, 07:35 PM
I think that it would mean that the new ones are not going to be ready until Aug. That I don't think is good. What is good is this really confirms not only PowerMacs, but new monitors as well. With so many PowerMacs in the channel, then it could mean that they would go along with the release of the new ones. Or, new PowerMacs, but old monitors until August, then a public annoucement of the new monitors. Oh, it is almost here.

wsteineker
Jul 9, 2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
What is good is this really confirms not only PowerMacs, but new monitors as well. With so many PowerMacs in the channel, then it could mean that they would go along with the release of the new ones. Or, new PowerMacs, but old monitors until August, then a public annoucement of the new monitors. Oh, it is almost here.

Sounds like great minds think alike, B2TM. Check out this thread (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=7373) for a little more discussion related to the monitor aspect of the aforementioned discounts. :)

Beej
Jul 9, 2002, 02:49 AM
Seems to me like we will be seeing these new machines coming out with Jaguar installed, just as it is realeased.

(Hi everyone, I'm back :))

wsteineker
Jul 9, 2002, 02:54 AM
I'd agree with Beej. It wouldn't make much sense from a marketing standpoint for Apple to rush these systems out the door without Jaguar. Who among us wouldn't be more than a little pissed if we had to pay for an upgrade right after shelling out $3000 for a new machine? Besides, Apple probably wants to make these systems shine. They need the good press in terms of performance reviews, and Jaguar would help out in that department.

And in the spirit of the impending MWNY Stevenote: One more thing. Welcome back Beej! You didn't miss much at all. How was Fiji? :)

Backtothemac
Jul 9, 2002, 09:18 AM
I agree. I have not thought of the Jaguar possibility before. That makes a lot of sense. It really does. That is probably what is going to go down. Announce, and not ship until August. That sucks though! When will we really have systems ship when announced?

TyleRomeo
Jul 9, 2002, 01:28 PM
ok guys this monitor deal isnt good for anyone planning on buy these brand new G4 Power Macs that will appear at MWNY. If you will want to buy the latest and greatest Mac expect to pay full price for the LCDs, at least until August 12th. I think that the Power Macs plus a monitor rebate will come after August 12th and possibly adding a 19 inch LCD into the mix while dropping the 15 inch. Why else would Apple sell the 17 inch LCD for $500. Its simple they are doing whatever they can to get people to shell out money on the current Power Macs to make room for the new ones that will be here shortly, also they want to try getting rid of all the monitors they have to add in the new line which could appear at Paris latter this year.

Pesonally I will wait until I can get a monitor rebate with the newest PowerMacs. If that happens to be after August 12th then so be it but I bet by then Jaguar will allready be installed in the machines.

Moonlight
Jul 11, 2002, 02:26 PM
Maybe it is not the g4 they are trying to sell more of but the LCD monitors ? Maybe in august they are comming out with new ones.

jg3
Jul 11, 2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
Pesonally I will wait until I can get a monitor rebate with the newest PowerMacs. If that happens to be after August 12th then so be it but I bet by then Jaguar will allready be installed in the machines.

Well, I can understand not wanting to buy a current PowerMac now, but I wouldn't expect the new ones to have these rebates when they come out, or even anytime soon after. Rebates are used to move inventory that's not getting out the door quickly enough, and the main reason for inventory not getting out the door quickly enough is lack of interest due to expectations of new systems coming out soon. So it wouldn't surprise me if, when you end up waiting until the new PM's to come out AND for them to have monitor rebates, there's going to be another crop on the horizon, which you'll also want to wait for.

Granted, Apple doesn't *only* do rebates right before new CPUs come out, but the general principle holds. What I do is set down a set of specs and a price that I am willing to pay to get those specs, and once a computer exists that meets or exceeds those specs for that price or less, I will buy. Keeps it simple. :)

TyleRomeo
Jul 11, 2002, 07:33 PM
i see your point man, i think spending over $3000 on a machine deserves getting a rebate on an expensive LCD monitor. It doesnt have to be as drastic as this current one but maybe that $300 of the 17 inch and $500 of the 22 inch type deal. (that is if they will not be replaced by mid august) Either way I can wait another month and have 10.2 preinstalled. Go apple!!!!!

synergy
Jul 12, 2002, 01:04 PM
They have nice monitors for sure. Pricey, but nice.