PDA

View Full Version : Rules about selling edu purchase

Bhennies
Jun 2, 2004, 12:09 AM
Hi. I recently bought a 15" powerbook, which I really love, but I thought I would have the money for a g5 as well, which now it looks like I won't. So...as much as I hate to say this, I'm considering selling it. It's about 3 weeks old with applecare and 1.25 gigs RAM. Are there any rules on selling an Apple purchased with edu discount, or can I go ahead? I didn't see any kind of contract when I ordered it through my school store, so I'm assuming it's ok. Thanks!

p.s. will the Applecare transfer to the buyer?

janey
Jun 2, 2004, 12:32 AM
why would there be any limitations on any machine purchased through the education thing? :p

LeeTom
Jun 2, 2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I would go for it, no problemo. Applecare will transfer.

Lee Tom

Abstract
Jun 2, 2004, 01:20 AM
Seriously, you're thinking too hard. Its yours. Its yours to sell. If I wanted to sell my PB with Crucial RAM in it, would it be legal to sell my PB with the RAM still inside? Yes, because its mine. I guess you can think of it your way, and believe that its not okay to sell a computer with 3rd party RAM when you don't have a "license" or authorization to sell Crucial RAM, but its really not that difficult in the real world. Ebay would be out of business if things were so difficult to sell. ;)

Sell it. Its your stuff, not Apple's. And just call Applecare and tell them to switch the name associated with the AppleCare code that came with your Applecare package.

Bhennies
Jun 2, 2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone. The reason I asked, is because many student pricing programs (especially camera equipment) have a clause in the contract that says that you cannot sell the item for a year or more- I guess to eliminate the chance that people will buy them at edu price and then flip them onto the market. Well, hopefully I won't have to sell his thing, cause I really like it, but keep your eyes n the classifieds :(

jxyama
Jun 2, 2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone. The reason I asked, is because many student pricing programs (especially camera equipment) have a clause in the contract that says that you cannot sell the item for a year or more- I guess to eliminate the chance that people will buy them at edu price and then flip them onto the market. Well, hopefully I won't have to sell his thing, cause I really like it, but keep your eyes n the classifieds :(

there usually is. i'd ask apple directly. the fact apple is aware of you having used the edu. discount may trigger some flag when you try to transfer the applecare...

Finiksa
Jun 2, 2004, 11:25 AM
Hi. I recently bought a 15" powerbook, which I really love, but I thought I would have the money for a g5 as well, which now it looks like I won't. So...as much as I hate to say this, I'm considering selling it.

Like everyone else has said you shouldn't have any problem selling it and transferring AppleCare to the new owner. However since you're only allowed one Edu system purchase per year you'll probably have to pay retail for the G5.

RHutch
Jun 2, 2004, 12:42 PM
However since you're only allowed one Edu system purchase per year you'll probably have to pay retail for the G5.

The Apple Edu purchase year goes from July 1 to June 30. Since the PB was purchased recently, it would count for this year's purchase. Just wait until July 1 to buy your new G5, which I'm assuming you'll want to do anyway to get whatever new model is introduced at WWDC. This Edu purchase will count for next school year. So there's no problem.

jaw04005
Jun 2, 2004, 09:59 PM
Like everyone else has said you shouldn't have any problem selling it and transferring AppleCare to the new owner. However since you're only allowed one Edu system purchase per year you'll probably have to pay retail for the G5.

You would think, but no. I have purchased 3 macs from the educational store this year... no problem. Apple does not really care, they just want to sell Macs.

stoid
Jun 2, 2004, 10:06 PM
You would think, but no. I have purchased 3 macs from the eductional store this year... no problem. Apple does not really care, they just want to sell Macs.

You can also cheat on your taxes and possibly evade the IRS random inspections. You can share your music online and possibly evade the RIAA random attacks. It's all still illegal. Not that I'm condemning anyone who does. You just have to understand that if they come knocking, you haven't got a leg to stand on legally.

jaw04005
Jun 2, 2004, 11:13 PM
You can also cheat on your taxes and possibly evade the IRS random inspections. You can share your music online and possibly evade the RIAA random attacks. It's all still illegal. Not that I'm condemning anyone who does. You just have to understand that if they come knocking, you haven't got a leg to stand on legally.

What are you talking about, purchasing a product from the Apple Store for Education is not an illegal activity---and should not be compared with cheating on your taxes or downloading illegal songs. Give me a break. At most, its a violation of the user agreement.

Simon Liquid
Jun 2, 2004, 11:23 PM
It might have changed, but last time I looked a bit less than a year ago the restriction was no more than 1 desktop computer AND one laptop per year.

Abstract
Jun 3, 2004, 02:45 AM
That's true. Actually, I believe that its one of each product per year, so you can't buy a G5 desktop in October, and buy another G5 desktop in December. You could, however, buy an iPod using the Edu discount and still use your discount to buy a Powerbook later in the year.

I'm not even going to bother getting into the discussion about whether its moral to take advantage of the Edu discount twice, since Apple doesn't keep track of discounts, anyway.

I didn't know the July to July Apple calender year for Edu discounts. Thanks. :)

superbovine
Jun 3, 2004, 02:46 AM
how they even stop you from selling something you own? how would they even know you sold it? why would they care?

cb911
Jun 3, 2004, 04:44 AM
you have to actually transfer the AppleCare when you sell your Mac?

well i just sold my TiBook just over a year ago... and it still had 1 1/2 years of AppleCare left, and i advertised it as having that.

i did sell it, but i never transferred the AppleCare or anything. :p oh well.

i thought that the AppleCare was tied to the machine, not to the buyer. :confused: