PDA

View Full Version : More Ram..:] Which one?

krewelement394
Jul 4, 2009, 12:25 PM
Hi so currently i have a white macbook which i got last year on june 4 2008. here is a screen shot of the "About This Mac" http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/coolboi8/Picture1-3.png

if you cannot see it or choose not to then here is the info in words:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Start up: Mac. HD

i want to upgrade my RAM all the the way up, which is 2 more GB right? i think that is how much my macbook can take 4 GB. i do not know which ram
it needs. i stumbled upon this link:

Click Here (http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/upgrade.asp?cid=30719)
first of all i am not sure which one goes with my macbook. since i got it in the middle of the year (June) and there are two one that says Early 2008 and another that says late 2008. i do not want to get the wrong one.

secondly is that store trustworthy? i have only bought one RAM stick for my windows PC but it was from NewEgg.

(version is 10.5.7) * I will be getting Snow Leopard when it comes out :] (by the way do i get snow leopard for 29 $$$ ?)

NewMacbookPlz
Jul 4, 2009, 12:28 PM
The RAM you need is "667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM"

It's right there in your prompt, and if you click through the links, you'll see that :)

Yours is an Early 2008 model. As for where to buy, a few known reputable sites are www.macsales.com , www.crucial.com , www.newegg.com or even www.amazon.com

And yes, since you're running 10.5, you get 10.6 for $29.

krewelement394
Jul 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks :] wow i did not even know that 667 had to do with the type of ram i needed i thought that was like the mega bites of ram or something...still got a lot to learn about macs and computers all together. anyhow thanks for letting me know about snow leopard, just curious because when iLife 09 came out i thought we all got it for free as an update if we bought a comp in 08 but turned out it was in jan. oh well.

Will this one do? (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-KVR667D2S5-2G-Non-ECC-ValueRam/dp/B000JREMTO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246729002&sr=8-9)

when i tried looking around i got so many results! i am not sure if this is ork on my macbook or not. also there were a lot of brands do not know if they are good brands but i know kingston is good. i have a kingston thumb drive and it works great!

NewMacbookPlz
Jul 4, 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks :] wow i did not even know that 667 had to do with the type of ram i needed i thought that was like the mega bites of ram or something...still got a lot to learn about macs and computers all together. anyhow thanks for letting me know about snow leopard, just curious because when iLife 09 came out i thought we all got it for free as an update if we bought a comp in 08 but turned out it was in jan. oh well.

Yup. The 667mhz is the frequency that the RAM works at. The rating assigned to the RAM is the maximum frequency that it's certified to work at. If you were to find yourself with only 800mhz RAM of the correct size/memory available, you could use that without issue.

krewelement394
Jul 4, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yup. The 667mhz is the frequency that the RAM works at. The rating assigned to the RAM is the maximum frequency that it's certified to work at. If you were to find yourself with only 800mhz RAM of the correct size/memory available, you could use that without issue.

OOhhh that makes more sense :D

by the way will this one do? This one? (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-KVR667D2S5-2G-Non-ECC-ValueRam/dp/B000JREMTO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246729002&sr=8-9)

or should i go with EDGE company?

(out of topic but i have a canon xsi too and i love it :D i need more lens though)

Buskape
Jul 4, 2009, 12:43 PM
Go to www.crucial.com and use their system advisor, lifetime warranty and replace on the go if you encounter any problems with your ram after installing it.

I really recommend Crucial ram! :)

John01021988
Jul 4, 2009, 12:49 PM
Go crucial, you wont regret

NewMacbookPlz
Jul 4, 2009, 01:47 PM
OOhhh that makes more sense :D

by the way will this one do? This one? (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-KVR667D2S5-2G-Non-ECC-ValueRam/dp/B000JREMTO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246729002&sr=8-9)

or should i go with EDGE company?

(out of topic but i have a canon xsi too and i love it :D i need more lens though)

Yeah, I bought my Xt used from my co-worker who didn't use it anymore because he would only shoot his 5D and 1D now, so I got a pretty good deal on it. My lens of the near future is the 28-135mm Canon AF/IS lens. I don't need L-glass for what I shoot, and that's a pretty sweet lens IMO.

jbuk
Jul 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
You'll aslo often see 667 MHz RAM being called 'PC2-5300', which might be a more effective search term if you're looking, say, on Google Shopping.

I bought two 2GB sticks of Crucial RAM for my late 2008 whitebook, and although one was DOA, those things happen, and once I got the broken module replaced the installation went flawlessly and has been working fine ever since.

CanadaRAM
Jul 5, 2009, 12:52 PM
Yup. The 667mhz is the frequency that the RAM works at...If you were to find yourself with only 800mhz RAM of the correct size/memory available, you could use that without issue.
Not recommended. For example there have been many reports of Penryn MacBook Pros failing with 800 MHz RAM.

It's nice in theory, but messier in practice. Easier to just stay with the specified RAM.

NewMacbookPlz
Jul 6, 2009, 12:56 AM
Not recommended. For example there have been many reports of Penryn MacBook Pros failing with 800 MHz RAM.

It's nice in theory, but messier in practice. Easier to just stay with the specified RAM.

True, I forgot about the mac sensitivity to RAM like that :o