PDA

View Full Version : iTools = .Mac?

arn
Jul 8, 2002, 06:52 PM
Previously rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/04/20020402071448.shtml) iTools revamp may be in the works.

ThinkSecret posted (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/itoolsdotmac.html) an update complete with screenshot that reports:

Various references to iTools -- in Jaguar's System Preferences, Internet Explorer toolbar and other locations -- have been replaced with ".Mac," in a naming style similar to Microsoft Corporation's .NET services.

Any added functionality is unclear... but Video Conferencing and iChat are expected soon and may integrate with the new .Mac service.

jadam
Jul 8, 2002, 07:14 PM
lol

Megaquad
Jul 8, 2002, 07:16 PM
that sucks man..

menoinjun
Jul 8, 2002, 07:20 PM
I heard that Apple might be starting some sort of online training for mac os x. Look for that also. New displays, new itools, jaguar announcement, new towers... this should be a kick butt macworld.

-Pete

Backtothemac
Jul 8, 2002, 07:32 PM
Why would this suck? Use the .Net advertising to raise awareness of .Mac. It could also be the Mac version of .Net (God please don't let this be the case). All in all, I think it is a good migration of iTools. Could bring some really neat features.

meta-ghost
Jul 8, 2002, 07:49 PM
One of the functions iTools must be headed towards is what many companies see as the substantial profit margins in future online storage of documents. HP doesn't make it's money on printers but the paper and ink it sells as a follow up. They are now developing a pretty slick method of data storage over the web with high speed access that will blow away current methods. Hardware profits can't compare to these sorts of revenue streams.

Tue12
Jul 8, 2002, 07:50 PM
For some odd reason, I find this hilariously funny. :D

Sayer
Jul 8, 2002, 07:52 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that the .Mac might end up being a top level domain name?

Just a thought.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Jul 8, 2002, 08:04 PM
I still like the name iTools more than .Mac

JtheLemur
Jul 8, 2002, 08:21 PM
Since those .mac changes were in an interim dev release of jaguar, maybe it's just a joke!

I mean, a bunch of Apple programmers, working hard for months - I think it would be great stress relief to play a big joke on a ton of developers by renaming iTools ".mac" for one interim release... =D

Catfish_Man
Jul 8, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
Since those .mac changes were in an interim dev release of jaguar, maybe it's just a joke!

I mean, a bunch of Apple programmers, working hard for months - I think it would be great stress relief to play a big joke on a ton of developers by renaming iTools ".mac" for one interim release... =D

I sincerely hope you're right.

j763
Jul 9, 2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Catfish_Man

I sincerely hope you're right.

i think M$ might be a little pissed if it wasn't a joke... i mean, really... .NET and .MAC

cgmpowers
Jul 9, 2002, 03:47 AM
I already pay for a few hundred megs (I had 500 megs for a while now have 300)... Will .Mac be more expensive than the extra drive space??

I can handle that amount (for the space I need) but they're going to really have to deliver to get me to pay more than that...I've really been disappointed with the lack of templates for iMovies and iPhoto pages...

Christopher

Geert
Jul 9, 2002, 04:07 AM
I recall an issue where the CEO of Pepsi gave a day of to all his employees 'cause Coca-Cola tried for the first time in history to copy Pepsi iso vica versa. (remember the new coca-cola somewhere mid 80-ies, coca-cola made their coke sweeter and thus more Pepsi-like)

So perhaps Gates will also give his entire staff a day off, 'cause for the first time in history, Apple copies M$.

I sincerely hope this is fake, and will nevere happen.
I like the name Itools so much. They would have to change all their iapps as well, to fit the .mac feature.
picture.mac (iphoto) Movie.mac (iMovie) dvd.mac (iDvd) disc.mac (iDisc) ....
oh man, this gives me the shivers. (bad connections, bad apps, ... feels like winblows to me)

Has anyone considered the possibility that the .Mac might end up being a top level domain name?

Let's hope so.

gropo
Jul 9, 2002, 08:29 AM
*as gropo scrambles to register www.big.mac*

clonenode
Jul 9, 2002, 08:43 AM
I inclined to agree that this is Apple having a little fun with us. If you examine the screen shot at Think Secret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/jaguarmiscellaneous2.html) you will notice that some of the text wraps are really bad. They don't show Apple's usually sensitivity to text and typography.

I'm willing to bet this is just a fun little red herring that Apple decided to throw into the developer builds.

gropo
Jul 9, 2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by clonenode
I inclined to agree that this is Apple having a little fun with us. If you examine the screen shot at Think Secret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/jaguarmiscellaneous2.html) you will notice that some of the text wraps are really bad. They don't show Apple's usually sensitivity to text and typography.

I'm willing to bet this is just a fun little red herring that Apple decided to throw into the developer builds.

Very true, let's not forget that the main graphic sports a lower-case "m", yet the description sports upper-case "M"s... Not the type of inconsitency Apple ever seems to brandish...

drastik
Jul 9, 2002, 10:39 AM
The whole thing could be a fake, this is ThinkSecret, we're talking about. Could just be badly faked screen shots, not something originating from Apple. Also, ThinkSecret is pissed at Apple right now, vis a vis the MWNY press pass snafu.

firewire2001
Jul 9, 2002, 11:38 AM
i am almost 100% sure that .Mac wil be some kind of new service -- not completely related to iTools, but maybe an extension to it.

if you have the latest release of jaguar - AND YOU DIDNT UPGRADE FROM THE LAST VERSION ( you did a clean install) you would see that in IE 5.2 there are some pre-set links...

there are two that are suspicous... one says "Apple" and is linked to www.apple.com and the other says ".Mac" which directs you to www.mac.com . mac.com currently connects you to iTools... SOMETHING IT DIDNT USED TO DO BEFORE -- it used to link to www.apple.com .. but in the future it may be different...

also, i think that the whole itools/mac login thing is just like if you have a iTools account you can login to a .Mac account...

id post a screenshot but im at work now, so i cannot.. ill try to post one later.

-f

Moonlight
Jul 9, 2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by gropo

Very true, let's not forget that the main graphic sports a lower-case "m", yet the description sports upper-case "M"s... Not the type of inconsitency Apple ever seems to brandish...

yea, it has to be fake, there is no benifit in changing it to .mac :confused:

firewire2001
Jul 9, 2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Moonlight

yea, it has to be fake, there is no benifit in changing it to .mac :confused:

spymac disagrees. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

http://www.spymac.com/comments.php?id=65_0_5_0_C

Nonsanity
Jul 9, 2002, 05:00 PM
<DEBUNK>

You all knew it was a joke, but just to settle the matter...

Taking a look at the image on ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/itoolsdotmac.html), and looking closely at the large ".mac" under the iTools icon, you can see that it's a cut-paste job.

Here's a closeup of the "a". (http://www.fluffandsuch.com/dot_mac_hoax.gif)

Notice how the letter isn't alpha blended into the background (as the real iTool letters are, and everything else in the menu), but instead has a white halo around it. (This could have been avoided by the hoaxee by using the text tool directly on the image, instead of cut-pasting it in from somewhere else.)

If you think this is the way it is supposed to be, take a REAL GOOD look at a screen capture (command-shift-3, look on your desktop) of your iTools menu to try and get some proof. You won't find any letters THERE lightening the pinstripes in the background, only darkening.

But hey, you can see why someone made this image. It's a great joke.

...But that's all it is.

</DEBUNK>

~ Nonsanity

elmimmo
Jul 9, 2002, 06:32 PM
If iTools really needs to be renamed for marketing purposes, which I see no need for, why not use @Mac.

I do not like .Mac.

.Net is understandable, since it is a domain that does exist.

.Mac IMHO leads to weird onfusion since there is nothing.mac out there. Does not look cool to say that my .mac account is hosted at mac.com, what's with that dot dancing from fore to the back?

@Mac, OTH, is understandable. My account is AT mac.com and my @mac e-mail is user@mac.com. And it has the @ sign which many consider cool :-?

MattB
Jul 9, 2002, 07:00 PM
I can't believe everyone fell for this one...IT IS SO FAKE!!! I took one five second glance at the pic and could tell it had been photoshopped.

Also notice that the ".mac" under the iTools globe and the ".Mac" on the tab are capitalized differently. Apple would not make this mistake.

firewire2001
Jul 9, 2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Nonsanity
<DEBUNK>

You all knew it was a joke, but just to settle the matter...

Taking a look at the image on ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/itoolsdotmac.html), and looking closely at the large ".mac" under the iTools icon, you can see that it's a cut-paste job.

Here's a closeup of the "a". (http://www.fluffandsuch.com/dot_mac_hoax.gif)

Notice how the letter isn't alpha blended into the background (as the real iTool letters are, and everything else in the menu), but instead has a white halo around it. (This could have been avoided by the hoaxee by using the text tool directly on the image, instead of cut-pasting it in from somewhere else.)

If you think this is the way it is supposed to be, take a REAL GOOD look at a screen capture (command-shift-3, look on your desktop) of your iTools menu to try and get some proof. You won't find any letters THERE lightening the pinstripes in the background, only darkening.

But hey, you can see why someone made this image. It's a great joke.

...But that's all it is.

</DEBUNK>

~ Nonsanity

hey bubba... you should slow down..

i cant really tell if you have jaguar actually or not... but in jaguar this whole .Mac thing looks really real.. yer problem might have to do with the fact that thinksecret slightly compresses their images...

my previous comments from my second to last post still carry over.. i think that this whole .Mac thing is real.. though i dont really know what its all about.. heres some pictures of both the .Mac image in preferences and an IE screenshot with links included in the latest seed including a .Mac link..

i totally disagree with you.

http://homepage.mac.com/ishkabibble32/FileSharing1.html

btw: the images are in their original PDF format.. umcompressed ... now in jaguar if you do [ctrl+shift+4] its a PDF image...

Foocha
Jul 10, 2002, 04:08 AM
Evidence in favour of .Mac:
- it's in the new Apple typeface
- you don't fool around with developer releases - especially not at this late stage
- it's all over Jaguar - does the OS X team really have this much time for an elaborate hoax?

Reasons why it's a smart idea:
- Web services is an important new revenue opportunity for Apple
- .Mac has broader meaning than iTool - you can produce a wider variety of services under the new name
- .Mac is easy to understand - it immediately expresses Web services for Mac users, thanks to Microsoft's marketing of .net
- iChat connects iTools users to to AOL services - .Mac is arguably the next step in the process - expect something like "passport.mac" enabling you to access services from other AOL friendly companies

Finally, check out the .Mac analysis in this c|net article:
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-942608.html

gropo
Jul 10, 2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Foocha
Evidence in favour of .Mac:
- it's all over Jaguar - does the OS X team really have this much time for an elaborate hoax?

Reasons why it's a smart idea:
- Web services is an important new revenue opportunity for Apple
- iChat connects iTools users to to AOL services - .Mac is arguably the next step in the process - expect something like "passport.mac" enabling you to access services from other AOL friendly companies
Good points. I suppose there's a good likelihood that .mac isn't all smoke and mirrors. I was reacting to the ThinkSecret set of leaked screengrabs, not realizing that the reports of .Mac's presence is more widely confirmed, thus greatly substantiating the evidence :rolleyes:
Guess that's what these BBS' are for eh? ;)

iapple
Jul 10, 2002, 12:09 PM
I don't know if you guys have tried this yet or not, but if you type

www.mac.com

in the web browser, it brings up iTools.. which more or less confirms this whole deal doesn't it?

gropo
Jul 10, 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by iapple
I don't know if you guys have tried this yet or not, but if you type

www.mac.com

in the web browser, it brings up iTools.. which more or less confirms this whole deal doesn't it? Been that way for a long, long time.

Sun Baked
Jul 11, 2002, 07:16 AM
Maybe it's the hook into the upgraded fee-for-service version of iTools.

Apple, at some point, is going to follow the same model as all the other free internet services and start the upgraded paid versions of their free stuff.

peterjhill
Jul 11, 2002, 12:48 PM
expect something like "passport.mac" enabling you to access services from other AOL friendly companies

Heck No!!! you didn't really separate the words "passport" and "mac" with only a period did you? You did! Microsoft already has their "passport" if on the off chance this whole thread has some truth in it, the .mac=.net makes it all look oh so bad in oh so many ways.

Foocha
Jul 11, 2002, 01:20 PM
I think there's no doubt that .mac is a reference to .net

Whether this indicates that Apple are snuggling up closer to Microsoft or pulling further away is up for debate - it'll be the most interesting aspect of the keynote next week.

Three key issues to look out for regarding the Apple/Microsoft relationship:

1. Will .mac services be based on .net?
2. Will Apple bring out a Mozilla based browser with an Apple skin?
3. Will Apple start distributing AOL client with OS X?

DonMateo
Jul 11, 2002, 10:10 PM
Sure, marketability, yada yada, future revenue stream, yada-yada, but does anyone know of a time when SJ renamed anything that could possibly confuse a solid user base?

I don't think so... I could be wrong. Newbie status.

Foocha
Jul 12, 2002, 03:12 AM
Steve Jobs renamed "Rhapsody" as "OS X Server"

Steve Jobs renamed "Claris" as "Filemaker"

Steve Jobs renamed "Claris Works" as "Apple Works"

Foocha
Jul 12, 2002, 03:20 AM
I think the most confusing name that Steve's team has come up with is surely "Xserve." Since this product is aimed at UNIX server administrators, surely it's too close to "X Server" - the UNIX X Window server. Hmm.

DonMateo
Jul 12, 2002, 02:08 PM
Weak.

Still... I think its a joke.

Foocha
Jul 13, 2002, 05:15 AM
It's not nice to use the sigh icon.

Not clear on what you mean by weak.

I don't believe that there has ever been a case of an OS developer releasing code containing a hoax like this - it's like saying to you business partners "sorry guys, that thing you've been sweating over for the past few weeks was just a waste of time!" Not the best way to keep your community of developers happy.

What do you mean by Steve Jobs being a piece of pie?

mmmdreg
Jul 13, 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
I still like the name iTools more than .Mac

definitely...although I don't use iTools for much at all...

peterjhill
Jul 14, 2002, 04:07 AM
Steve Jobs renamed "Rhapsody" as "OS X Server"

Steve Jobs renamed "Claris" as "Filemaker"

Steve Jobs renamed "Claris Works" as "Apple Works"

Rhapsody = Developer in house name for project

Claris = Windows people not considering excellent product because Claris name tied to Claris works, which makes windows people think of Mac (Even though Claris works for a long time was way the hell better than MS Works).

Which leads to Claris Works, obviously had to change the name if you are renaming the division/wholey owned subsididity/pick one. Yes, us old schoolers know exactly what Claris is, and thus could figure out what Claris works is, but new Mac users might not know as much, and Apple Works would make more sense to them. They would know immediately what it is.

peterjhill
Jul 14, 2002, 04:10 AM
That got me thinking, They should just make appleworks into separate iApps.

iWrite, iDraw, iCalc, iPresent. Hey, even the names sound cooler. Of couse Apple would then be giving away something they used to sell.

Foocha
Jul 14, 2002, 05:35 AM
Rhapsody was a lot more than an internal developer name - it was widely publicised, together with its Yellow Box and Blue Box frameworks. It was set to replace Mac OS until Mac OS X was announced, and there was even talk of developing a Yellow Box framework for MS Windows, making Rhapsody a cross platform environment. (I think there was even an O'Reilly book on Rhapsody).

When Apple annouced OS X, they rebadged Yellow Box as Cocoa, Blue Box as Classic, and introduced a new framework called "Carbon." They gave up on the idea of Cocoa for Windows (imagine!)

What I find confusing is that they then released Rhapsody anyway, but named it OS X Server - even though it had little to do with OS X, since it didn't include the Carbon framework.

OS X is a great product, but surely you must agree that the changes in names was confusing to many.