Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I'm looking for an app to edit exposure, brightness, hue, etc. I've seen a ton of them, free and paid. Just curious as to everyones opinions on them. So if you don't mind, name some of your favorites. Thanks in advance. :apple:

Chumbake

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
I recommend looking into Photogene. It's amazing. Do a search on YouTube and you'll find a couple reviews. I've been using it for a mo th or so now and it's great! It's better than anything else that I've seen.

awad

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
I notice there is a paid and lite version. Which do you have and what sets this app apart from the others?

i have the paid. and the curves and the shadow highlight tool do it for me. i used to have a separate app for a good shadow highlight tool or an HDR app, then save it and open it up in a different app that would let me crop or sharpen. i can do that all in photoforge.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I notice there is a paid and lite version. Which do you have and what sets this app apart from the others?

I use Photogene as the others above do and it's the best app I've found. So, I'd like to see an answer to this as well.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
awad, thanks for the follow-up.
Are you noticing a real difference between the quality of photos using your app from the 3G and the 3GS?

awad

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
awad, thanks for the follow-up.
Are you noticing a real difference between the quality of photos using your app from the 3G and the 3GS?

well i came from a 2G to the 3GS. since i'm a photographer, i had purchased every photo editing program in the app store to try and make up for the awful 2G camera. But as far as the program goes, it's unbelievably faster on the 3GS, but that's to be expected. Like I said, one of my main uses for this program was to pull detail out of the shadows of an image. here's an example i just processed.

photoforge1.png

photoforge2.png

its extremely useful for me now as the camera in the 3GS allows me to have so much more detail in the shadows, so i'm able to actually get something useful out of it.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Wow! Very nice. It's amazing that app can pull that kind of detail out of the darkened photo.

I'm going to download photoforge now...

I'd think those who have awarded that app with a single star rating simply didn't know how to use it (or are from competing apps).

(Although I have downloaded iFlashready and they claim to do the same thing, we'll see if that is accurate.)

awad

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
another great part about photoforge is the fact that it has a clone stamp tool as well as an erase tool. so you're able to do selective editing on a part of an image.

if only it had layers...

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks awad. I've tried perhaps 15, and ended up deleting most of them, but Photoforge would be a handy photo app to have. I'll download that now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.