PDA

View Full Version : Complete Lockup In Ut Hi Speed

cyclist
Jul 8, 2002, 08:08 PM
Hello folks,

I'm currently running ut on an imac 800mhz w/ 1g ram.

Problem is...the screen completely locks up ONLY on the HI SPEED level and the only way to escape is to turn the computer off. Force Quit only displays the force quit screen, but there is no way to click because the screen is frozen.

I have increased the memory to way beyond the maximum requirements and reinstalled ut but this doesn't solve the problem.

Plus I make sure no other applications are running.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Cyclist

job
Jul 8, 2002, 08:12 PM
I assume you are running UT in OS X right?

hitman

cyclist
Jul 8, 2002, 08:18 PM
No. os 9.2.
cyclist

AlphaTech
Jul 8, 2002, 09:52 PM
When you mention altering the memory allocations, are you changing just the last of the numbers??? That is the "Preferred Size" NOT the "Minimum Size". Leave the minimum alone, and ONLY alter the preferred. Applications run best when there is a healthy gap between those two sets. I set my UT preferred memory allotment to about 5x the suggested. You could get away with 2x-4x, but if you have the memory, crank it up as high as you can (don't go over 999MB :rolleyes: ).

job
Jul 8, 2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by cyclist
No. os 9.2.
cyclist

Hm, I really can't help you there. If you were running it under OS X I would have assumed it had something to do with the UT preview versions for OS X. I have absolutly no idea why it would be locking up in OS 9.2

Have you tried trashing your UT prefs?

hitman

bousozoku
Jul 29, 2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by cyclist
Hello folks,

I'm currently running ut on an imac 800mhz w/ 1g ram.

Problem is...the screen completely locks up ONLY on the HI SPEED level and the only way to escape is to turn the computer off. Force Quit only displays the force quit screen, but there is no way to click because the screen is frozen.

I have increased the memory to way beyond the maximum requirements and reinstalled ut but this doesn't solve the problem.

Plus I make sure no other applications are running.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Cyclist
I was running this on a G3/400 with 768MB and rarely had lockups. Once I set the memory to 512MB, the lockups were gone. Sometimes, having too much memory available to an application is as bad as too little. Remember that the 3D engine is using RAVE or OpenGL and the system needs to allocate the memory for those, not just the application.

Try giving the preferred memory from 512-640MB and see if the lockups go away.

digitalgiant
Aug 25, 2002, 01:22 AM
I had the same problem when I was in 9.2 also.Problem went away after I switched to X!!