Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Hello All,

Recently my white MacBook seems to have stopped "seeing" the battery. The MB works when plugged but shuts down instantly when the plug is removed. This is a fairly new occurrence and the battery itself isn't too old. I had it replaced a few months ago. Here is what System Profiler has to say:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-xxxxxxx-3723-87f8
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0002
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 102a
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0200
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 159
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 4830

Has anyone else experienced this with the white, or any, MacBook?

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Hello All,

Recently my white MacBook seems to have stopped "seeing" the battery. The MB works when plugged but shuts down instantly when the plug is removed. This is a fairly new occurrence and the battery itself isn't too old. I had it replaced a few months ago. Here is what System Profiler has to say:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-xxxxxxx-3723-87f8
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0002
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 102a
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0200
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 159
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 4830

Has anyone else experienced this with the white, or any, MacBook?

Thanks!

Well, your condition says to check the battery. It seems like you have a bad battery.

dr.

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Ouch, me too

Coincidentally, the "check battery" state occurred on my MacBook 1,1 tonight. My cycle count is significantly higher than yours, though.

Code:
  Model Information:
  Serial Number:	DP-ASMB013-3530-2090
  Manufacturer:	DP
  Device name:	ASMB013
  Pack Lot Code:	0001
  PCB Lot Code:	0000
  Firmware Version:	0102
  Hardware Revision:	0300
  Cell Revision:	0100
  Charge Information:
  Charge remaining (mAh):	0
  Fully charged:	No
  Charging:	No
  Full charge capacity (mAh):	0
  Health Information:
  Cycle count:	451
  Condition:	Check battery
  Battery Installed:	Yes
  Amperage (mA):	-3
  Voltage (mV):	7150

Unsure what to do. Resetting the SMC didn't help. Going to research that some more before I look into 3rd party batteries.

Sidenote: the battery update hadn't been applied yet (even though I'm on 10.5.7), but it was ineffectual.

Update: Resetting PRAM/NVRAM/SMC all ineffectual. coconutBattery crashes with a division-by-zero bug. Cleaning battery contacts does nothing. In my very humble opinion, this battery is dead.

dr.

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Fixed

Update: Resetting PRAM/NVRAM/SMC all ineffectual. coconutBattery crashes with a division-by-zero bug. Cleaning battery contacts does nothing. In my very humble opinion, this battery is dead.

I kept putting off getting a replacement battery because I figured the SMC might be the problem and I didn't want to throw good money after bad. Grabbed a stock replacement battery from Fry's and all is well. Bummed that I paid $120 for a stock replacement instead of $99 for a higher capacity aftermarket battery, but the regular user of this laptop demanded immediate fixing.

- dr

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I kept putting off getting a replacement battery because I figured the SMC might be the problem and I didn't want to throw good money after bad. Grabbed a stock replacement battery from Fry's and all is well. Bummed that I paid $120 for a stock replacement instead of $99 for a higher capacity aftermarket battery, but the regular user of this laptop demanded immediate fixing.

- dr

Hey dr or OP,

Can you verify getting a new battery is all it took? My wife's macbook battery now has the same problem you had. I was worried it was a SMC issue or whatever, as her battery only has 178 cycles. Can you confirm your macbooks are now fully-battery operational? Thanks!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.