Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I've got a 2-3 year old iMac with a fairly large music library, and I'm looking to transfer it to my new MacBook Pro.

Is there a way I can transfer JUST THE LIBRARY without losing my play count? I'm not looking to completely transfer all my programs, settings, etc. Just the music library.

Thanks.

(I searched, found info on PC->Mac transferring, as well as Mac->Mac transferring, but the latter included transferring everything (programs, settings, etc) via a cable and migration assistant. I'm not interested in that.)

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I believe that if you migrate, you have the ability to select only certain things. That should be the easiest way, or you could copy your iTunes folder to an external drive and then onto your new computer.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I believe that if you migrate, you have the ability to select only certain things. That should be the easiest way, or you could copy your iTunes folder to an external drive and then onto your new computer.

Just a straight up copy and paste? I plan on moving my stuff using an external drive as it is.

When it's on the new computer, would I open up a certain library file as opposed to just adding the files into my library?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I would just straight up copy and paste your iTunes folder (Music->iTunes)

Make sure you get all of it, and that it is the most recent version of iTunes.

bestthereis27

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
When it's on the new computer, would I open up a certain library file as opposed to just adding the files into my library?

That is my question as well, once i copy the entire folder over, how do I reload itunes with the music and play count etc...

Import or Add to Library or something to that nature?

Thanks.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
You need to copy over your Library.XML file as well. This has all of your rating and play count data, as well as playlists.

Copy your music into the music folder on your MBP first. Then export the library.xml file from iTunes on the iMac, and then import it into iTunes on your MBP.

Make sure you're using the same user name and folder structure, and copy over the music. You should be good, although you'll likely have a few duplicate playlists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.