PDA

View Full Version : Let me ask you this:

MacManiac1224
Dec 12, 2001, 04:11 PM
I have been thinking long and hard about this whole MWSF thing. I came to the following conclusions:
--------------------------------
A new LCD iMac will be unveiled, sporting the new IBM G3 processor on the low and mid machines. On the high end machines, it will sport a G4. Doesn?t it make sense for Apple to throw a G4 into a radically new design? When they put the G4 in a consumer model, it is going to have to be different then the previous for factors, so why not do it now. Configs:
4 iMac models:
-600mhz G3 iMac
-700mhz G3 iMac
-850mhz G3 iMac
-1ghz G4 iMac
-------------------------------
I do not think anything radically different will come to the portable side. Maybe a little speed bump, but not sure.
-------------------------------
Now for the Power Mac?s: I think the Apollo alongside with the G5 will debut. My reasoning behind it is this: I think Apple will release the G5, but in the Quicksilver enclosure, and only on the very high end, which will not make a great impact in the market. Congif?s:
5 new Power Mac Models:
-867mhz G4: $1,699
-1ghz G4: $2,499
-1.2ghz G4: $3,499
-1.4ghz G5: $3,999
-1.6ghz G5: $4,499
If they do come out with the G5, I think these might be the conjurations. They will make the G5?s priced so high that not many people will buy them while keeping the G4 in the product line, and this lineup will help them achieve 2ghz by MWNY, also with a new enclosure.
---------------------------------
What do you guys think?

OSUbuckeyefan
Dec 12, 2001, 04:40 PM
Seems pretty reasonable. I think (hope), however, that if they introduce the G5 in Jan, it will sport a new enclosure.

Also - no one has said hardly anything about new displays. The 22 inch Cinema Display has been around for quite some time and has dropped in price very recently (I believe it's down to $1999 now). Considering this, does anyone forsee an updated Cinema Display at MWSF or in the near future?

Thanks,
Jeff

[Edited by OSUbuckeyefan on 12-12-2001 at 05:44 PM]

evildead
Dec 12, 2001, 04:54 PM
The rumor is that the 22 will stay.. but be cheeper. The 15 will get tossed and the 17 will be the new low end LCD. to bring up the middle ... there will be a new 19. Or at least thats what I hear. I dont see anything bigger than a 22 for a desktop... unless Apple is trying to replace the TV

Falleron
Dec 12, 2001, 04:56 PM
I cant see the iMac using different G3's and G4's! Wouldn't apple have to produce 2 motherboards to accomodate the G3 + G4? This would drive production costs up!

MacManiac1224
Dec 12, 2001, 05:55 PM
I think Apple will come out with 2 different iMac's. One with a G3 and one G4. The G4 will sport a simlaer case, but a little different, this will therefore pave the way for the G5. Apple needs to start uping the processors if they want OS X to run very smoothly on the consumer based systems.

MacManiac1224
Dec 12, 2001, 05:56 PM
Also the G4 iMac will be a little expensive:
most likely around $1800, which will institute high-end.

oldMac
Dec 12, 2001, 07:11 PM
It would be nice to see the cinema display come down in price. I *will* not be deterred. I *will* have one for my next office.

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 12, 2001, 07:15 PM
i think we all know apple has to do smething really strange in order to introduce the g5s this january. people have suggested g4s in imacs, low end g4 powermacs and high end g5s, reintroduction of a cube such that imac=g4 cube=g4 and powermac=g5. unfortunately i think we all want to see the g5 so much we are coming up with really unlikely stories.

many of these scenarios we are making up just seem to complicated. consumer models with g3 and g4s, powermacs with g4s and g5s. it all just seems too complicated. i think the best story is the cube g4 imac g3 powermac g5. but again this is a very pretty story but it probably wont happen.

i think we will see lcd g3 imacs, apollo g4 powermacs and that this line up wont change much until mwny. not the most optimistic view but its beginning to seem the most likely.

as far as needing g4s in the imac line. we need g4s in the imac line as far as speeding up osx goes since apple is really drawing on altivec, but something someone mentioned in another thread was that ibm might eventually introduce its own altivec-like technology into its chips. that may help address osx incompatability in g3s.

oh and guys please tell me im wrong about all of this because id really like to see g5s in january.

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 12, 2001, 07:19 PM
yes we all know no more 15", new 19" and lower priced 22". but... o boy would i love to see larger displays or (big or) displays with MUCH higher resolution. ive got a friend now looing at getting a portable and he has decided on a pc since pc laptops have much better screen resolutions than any mac portables (not saying im agreeing with his choice but it seems to be something people are looking at). anyone see ibm's new lcd display? $15,000 huge display that has resolutions 3x greater than the apple 22" display. i think this is the sort of display osx is designed for. these 128x128 icons are cool and all but dont mac much sense unless you have that kind of resolution. apple may be looking way into the future with some of the features in osx.

menoinjun
Dec 12, 2001, 09:35 PM
people-

There simply cannot be an iMac with a G4 due to costs. Not of production, but if an iMac can be bought with a G4, then some people were going for the essentially cheaper tower would do so and get a cheap 17 inch monitor. That should be about the same price and they would recieve a bigger screen, more expansion, faster bus (either at current speeds or hopefully imacs at 133 and towers at 266 DDR) and probably a DVD-R which I expect to be in all towers (except educational) by MWSF. Yes, the LCD would be really cool and keep desk space to a minimum, but to tell you the truth, coming from a retail background...most people would rather save the money, get the better specs and cannibalize the desk space. NO G4 IMACS THIS MACWORLD.

I believe we will see:

733/866/933
128/256/256
cdrw/cdrw/combo drive
ata-100 across the board
40/60/80gig
15" lcd across the board
Gigabit ethernet
built in airport on the top model

In the towers:
Apollo G4s
966mhz/1.3/1.6ghz (not sure about the dual)
256/256/512 DDR
60/80/100gig ata 133hd

-pete

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 12, 2001, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
people-

There simply cannot be an iMac with a G4 due to costs. Not of production, but if an iMac can be bought with a G4, then some people were going for the essentially cheaper tower would do so and get a cheap 17 inch monitor. That should be about the same price and they would recieve a bigger screen, more expansion, faster bus (either at current speeds or hopefully imacs at 133 and towers at 266 DDR) and probably a DVD-R which I expect to be in all towers (except educational) by MWSF. Yes, the LCD would be really cool and keep desk space to a minimum, but to tell you the truth, coming from a retail background...most people would rather save the money, get the better specs and cannibalize the desk space. NO G4 IMACS THIS MACWORLD.

I believe we will see:

733/866/933
128/256/256
cdrw/cdrw/combo drive
ata-100 across the board
40/60/80gig
15" lcd across the board
Gigabit ethernet
built in airport on the top model

In the towers:
Apollo G4s
966mhz/1.3/1.6ghz (not sure about the dual)
256/256/512 DDR
60/80/100gig ata 133hd

-pete

pretty realistic prediction, although your apollo speeds seem a little high. as far as g4s in imacs, your right but i think people around here are hoping that a g4 in an imac will equal a g5 in a powermac (many things wrong with this line of thinking).

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 12, 2001, 10:48 PM
The other thing people keep talking about is the return of the cube-I just don't see this happening. Let's think why...oh yeah, it DIDN'T SELL. Don't get me wrong, it was cool and all, but it was axed because it didn't sell well, and I seriously doubt Apple will try to reintroduce it this soon.

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 12, 2001, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ThlayliTheFierce
The other thing people keep talking about is the return of the cube-I just don't see this happening. Let's think why...oh yeah, it DIDN'T SELL. Don't get me wrong, it was cool and all, but it was axed because it didn't sell well, and I seriously doubt Apple will try to reintroduce it this soon.

vey true. we do a lot of story telling here trying to come of with scenarios that allow for whatever we want. a reintroduction of the cube allows us to think g5s will come out soon. also the cube didnt sell because there wasnt room for it (neat irony huh?). i think some of us like thinking that with g3 imacs and g5 powermacs there would be room for a g4 cube. neat story but not too likely. if the cube were coming back imagine the kinda rumors that would be flying. i think a new cube would create more rumors than a lcd imac. unfortunately we may never find out because the cube probably permanently retired (although the technology within the cube will live on).

please everyone, a moment of silience for the cube...

pchristy
Dec 12, 2001, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by oldMac
It would be nice to see the cinema display come down in price. I *will* not be deterred. I *will* have one for my next office.

I'm with you, man. I absolutely will have one in my studio before the year ends. There is nothing finer! But where are we seeing this 1999 price? I'd buy it tonight if this were true.

DannyZR2
Dec 13, 2001, 12:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1306827176

APPLE 22" CINEMA DISPLAY-BRAND NEW IN BOX!!!!

Currently $1,875.00 First bid $10.00
Quantity 1 # of bids 27 bid history
Time left 1 hours, 19 mins +

Spedly
Dec 13, 2001, 07:33 AM
Generally folks have been considering incremental processor speed options for the new iMac topping out around 1gHz. Has anyone considered a single processor speed option not unlike the iBook? It seems to me this would save costs. The only options on the thing would be your choice of optical drive and/or hard disk size.

If this is the case, I believe you would see a G3 at 1gHz and that is it. I can't imagine a G4 in the iMac, yet. I also can't imagine a G5 in the Power Mac, yet.

Spedly

OSUbuckeyefan
Dec 13, 2001, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by pchristy
Originally posted by oldMac

I'm with you, man. I absolutely will have one in my studio before the year ends. There is nothing finer! But where are we seeing this 1999 price? I'd buy it tonight if this were true.

Apple is currently running a deal that allows you to get up to $500 off on thier displays when you buy a G4.
Here's the link with the details...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/243/wo/lMnMc28b77ebgroKGl1/2.7.0.3.30.1