PDA

View Full Version : Will Snow Leopard change the world?

MacBytes
Jul 6, 2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Will Snow Leopard change the world? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090706095045)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Schtumple
Jul 6, 2009, 08:52 AM
Jesus, it's just an operating system...

MacDawg
Jul 6, 2009, 08:56 AM
I am looking forward to SL... but change the world? :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

bartzilla
Jul 6, 2009, 09:01 AM
Jesus, overblown hyperbole much?

Oh yeah...

What this means to IT staff is that Mac users will be interacting with Exchange pretty much like Windows users do already, silencing yet another IT moan about letting Macs get a foothold in their precious environments.

Clearly written by someone with the mentality of a 12 year old and a grudge because a network admin somewhere didn't let them do whatever they wanted on a corporate network.

iSlicer
Jul 6, 2009, 09:06 AM
Well, two of you have made a comment starting with a name that has changed the world. I Think Leopard can do as good! ;) Will help more maybe too. Of course, it will piss those off in hell.

Tenebrous
Jul 6, 2009, 09:54 AM
Well, two of you have made a comment starting with a name that has changed the world. I Think Leopard can do as good! ;) Will help more maybe too. Of course, it will piss those off in hell.

Heh. Good point. I find it especially ironic that those most likely to take the say such things often defend their intelligence as though it were more important than anything else. Solipsism is pathetic, folks.

On a lighter note, of course SL will change the world. Anything that happens changes the world. This reply changes the world because now the world is different than it was before.

NinjaHERO
Jul 6, 2009, 09:54 AM
Jesus, it's just an operating system...

Did you just say that Jesus invented this operating system? :D

Tallest Skil
Jul 6, 2009, 09:56 AM
Did you just say that Jesus invented this operating system? :D

Hmm. :D

http://jaredlowe.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/jesus_jobs2.jpg

BongoBanger
Jul 6, 2009, 10:04 AM
Clearly written by someone with the mentality of a 12 year old and a grudge because a network admin somewhere didn't let them do whatever they wanted on a corporate network.

Exactly. Silly article is silly.

Winni
Jul 6, 2009, 10:35 AM
Does this guy even know what he is writing about?

Just an example:

Users will need to use Exchange 2007 for native access, though there should be no need for an Exchange client license on the Mac.

Well, as everybody in the business knows, you need an Exchange CAL for each mailbox, device or user who connects to the Exchange server. Snow Leopard won't be an exception to that rule.

What this means to IT staff is that Mac users will be interacting with Exchange pretty much like Windows users do already, silencing yet another IT moan about letting Macs get a foothold in their precious environments.

Ah, no, they won't. Windows users use Microsoft Outlook or the non-crippled version of Outlook Web Access to access the Exchange Server. They don't use Third Party software like Mail and iCal that nobody in the business world has ever heard of before, thus causing a support nightmare for IT staff. And Entourage won't magically benefit from the Exchange support in Mail and iCal either. It's a completely different application.

Apple has been making the next OS lean and mean and it should kick off a whole new season of Apple goodness for us Mac lovers, giving us an estimated 6GB of storage back as well as making all sorts of operations faster, particularly in video, I have heard.

I'm so glad that he has HEARD this. Which means: He is only parroting stuff others have told them. Besides that: In an age of terabyte hard disks, nobody really cares about six Gigabytes of storage anymore. It's one of the lamest excuses for dropping the PowerPC support in Snow Leopard that Apple has come up with.

But Snow Leopard will be faster, too - it will have a sped-up Java processor and a new parallel-processing architecture called Grand Central, for multicore-enabled applications. The ability to steal processing capability from graphics cards when available is also a Snow Leopard feature,

"Java processor". Wasn't that a chip SUN once wanted to develop, but then dropped the idea. He must be talking about the Java VM then. And he also forgets to mention that only applications that have been specifically developed to use Grand Central will benefit from any performance boosts. Your legacy applications won't magically become faster because of that new subsystem. And it might take years for developers to understand the new possibilities - and even then only a fistful of apps will truly benefit from the technology. Word processors, spreadsheets and web browsers won't be among those apps. And neither will games run any faster with

Anyway. Enough of that. But the original question still deserves an answer: Will Snow Leopard change the world? No, it won't. It's just a small evolutionary step in the history of a Unix-based operating system. A much smaller step than the original Leopard was, and an even smaller step than the upgrade from Panther to Tiger was.

Its only potential to change the world would be if Apple decided to change the EULA and open it to non-Apple platforms. Which, as long as Steve Jobs runs the company, is extremely unlikely to happen.

macnz
Jul 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
I was 'clearly parroting' actually, and to make it clear, the links were in the story. Hate to say, the NZ Herald regularly changes my headlines to rile NZ PC users so they'll comment. My original headline was just 'Whatever Next?'. I don't think Smow Leopard will change the world. I do think it will be great. MW (NZ)

EmperorDarius
Jul 6, 2009, 02:50 PM
Though the article is not very good, and Snow Leopard will certainly not change the world, it still remains years ahead of Windows.

windywoo
Jul 6, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for reminding me to put you on ignore Emperor.

I'm using Snow Leopard now and it is so close to Leopard I don't think it will change anything more than Leopard did.

ProwlingTiger
Jul 6, 2009, 05:30 PM
Its only potential to change the world would be if Apple decided to change the EULA and open it to non-Apple platforms. Which, as long as Steve Jobs runs the company, is extremely unlikely to happen.

And that would of course lead to the end of Apple.

BongoBanger
Jul 6, 2009, 06:01 PM
Though the article is not very good, and Snow Leopard will certainly not change the world, it still remains years ahead of Windows.

Not really. They both look pretty good for different reasons. Nice to see OS X finally going full 64 bit and ditching its silly threading model though.

crackbookpro
Jul 6, 2009, 07:28 PM
No, Leopard did. Snow Leopard will just be a nice touch. Although, I think Windows 7 is going to do wonders for Microsoft (they need it).

I am more looking towards Adobe CS5 Master which is being created for SnowLeopard - That will be YOUR 'world changer' for artists and web developers :)

CrackBookPro:cool:

ditzy
Jul 6, 2009, 08:41 PM
No, Leopard did. Snow Leopard will just be a nice touch. Although, I think Windows 7 is going to do wonders for Microsoft (they need it).

I am more looking towards Adobe CS5 Master which is being created for SnowLeopard - That will be YOUR 'world changer' for artists and web developers :)

CrackBookPro:cool:

Leopard did not change the world. It changed the way I feel about computers, and probably did for a lot of other people, but it didn't change the world.

Povilas
Jul 7, 2009, 03:15 AM

Time of idiot CEOs has passed and as long people like Steve Jobs or Tim Cook run Apple no such thing is possible ;) It's the reason Apple is so successful.