Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I bought the 3 pack of screen protectors for $3 with free shipping from meritline.

http://www.meritline.com/iphone-3g-clear-screen-film-010---p-28908.aspx

It was taking a while to ship so once I got my phone, eager to protect it I bought the $30 ZAGG screen protector that everyone seems to be raving about.

I wasn't happy with it, the installation was a pain and left bubbles and stuff all over.

Worse of all, the top half, screen protector had chaff on the ends.

Basically, I was very unhappy with the install and screen protector as a whole.

Then finally, a week later, I recieved my meritline order with 3 $1 screen protectors, a $2 car charger, and two phone cases.

One of the phone cases was poor quality, but the other case, the car charger, and esp the screen protectors were all excellent.

It was no hassle installing them (the hardest part was ripping off the Zagg screen protector and cleaning out the gunk it left behind) and the screen protector has been fantastic.

Just goes to show you, the higher priced product isn't always the best one.

RamSlack

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2006
NW Washington
The "junk" around the edges of the zagg screen protectors wears off after a few days after the sticky solution wears off. Can hardly see the edges of my Zagg film anymore.

I followed the instructions and even watched the videos before installing my Zagg stuff. Any tiny bubbles I had underneath the cover dissapeared after a few days just like the video and instructions said it would. I have the full body cover and have absoultely no bubbles under any part of the film protection.

One of the cool things I find that I'm liking with the Zagg stuff is that the film isn't hard like some of the other ones. If there's a scratch mark on the film, a rub with my thumb smooths it out and it dissapeared. Not so with the hard screen protectors I had on my 1st gen. I also like the texture of the Zagg. It adds grip to the entire phone.

To be honest, I was a little miffed with the Zagg protection at first as well. Bubbles and messy edges but they both dissapeared (just like they said they would) and I'm extremely happy with it.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
if you had bubbles after installation after a couple days, then you obviously didn't take enough time to install it correctly.

zagg makes a great product. you just have to take your time and install it in a clean environment, and everything will be fine. if it isn't on properly (like around the corners) it may turn yellowish from the inside sticky part being exposed.

but that's not a problem when it's installed correctly :)

iLoveiPhone3GS

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Haha good luck with those screen protectors and that charger...ill laugh when I see your future thread, "HELP, I'm a n00b who bought a $2 car charger and my phone exploded, can I get it replaced?"

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
zagg invisible shield is a wonderful product when installed correctly. It does take time and patience though. Also - get it from best skins ever, not zagg. same product, but the full body version for the 3GS cost me $8.

letsmod

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
my zagg slid off my 3G(S) after 3 days, just wont stick to the screen, must be that new coating on the 3G(S).

wasted money in my opinion, loved it on my 3G, just wont stay on my 3G(S)

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
my zagg slid off my 3G(S) after 3 days, just wont stick to the screen, must be that new coating on the 3G(S).

I've had the Zagg on my 3GS since day one. Must be an installation problem.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

Sticks on my 3Gs

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007

Then you put it on wrong.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
He's right about the Meritline screen protectors. They are fine quality. Why would you wish for someone's phone to explode just because they like a different product over the one that you chose? :confused: How juvenile.

brad

iLoveiPhone3GS

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
He's right about the Meritline screen protectors. They are fine quality. Why would you wish for someone's phone to explode just because they like a different product over the one that you chose? :confused: How juvenile.

brad

"How juvenile," get off your high horse. First off, I never wished for his phone to explode. Second, I never even mentioned anything about a product that I prefer as you seem to think, so stop trying to read things into my post. Its known that using inferior, cheap chargers (as anything that costs $2 could be considered) greatly increases the likely hood of overheating, melting etc. as these cheaper chargers are usually not held to the standards of more tested, expensive ones. I used the word "exploded" because most people use that word to describe a melted or burned phone, eventhough the phone doesn't really explode.

Most people who use cheap chargers expect apple (or whatever company) to replace an item damaged by user bought inferior products.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
"How juvenile," get off your high horse. First off, I never wished for his phone to explode. Second, I never even mentioned anything about a product that I prefer as you seem to think, so stop trying to read things into my post. Its known that using inferior, cheap chargers (as anything that costs $2 could be considered) greatly increases the likely hood of overheating, melting etc. as these cheaper chargers are usually not held to the standards of more tested, expensive ones. I used the word "exploded" because most people use that word to describe a melted or burned phone, eventhough the phone doesn't really explode.

Most people who use cheap chargers expect apple (or whatever company) to replace an item damaged by user bought inferior products.

I'll get off my high horse after you get your panties unwadded. Please show us your documentation of all these phones that have melted/burned/exploded/vaporized/disintegrated/become possessed. I suspect that it's a rather rare occurence and that you're talking out of your rear (though how you can get anything past the pantywad is beyond me).

bc

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'll get off my high horse after you get your panties unwadded. Please show us your documentation of all these phones that have melted/burned/exploded/vaporized/disintegrated/become possessed. I suspect that it's a rather rare occurence and that you're talking out of your rear (though how you can get anything past the pantywad is beyond me).

bc

Awesome.

High five.

Oh and OP, did you send the Zagg back for a refund? They offer lifetime warranty on their skins.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Its known that using inferior, cheap chargers (as anything that costs $2 could be considered) greatly increases the likely hood of overheating, melting etc. as these cheaper chargers are usually not held to the standards of more tested, expensive ones.

Got a link?

Just because something costs more doesn't mean it's better. It could simply mean someone is sourcing the same product from China, slapped their name on it, and paid Apple $10K to certify it.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009

Funny, I have a cheap charger. In fact, I have about 6 'cheap' AC and DC chargers. No problems, no meltdowns, no nothing.

I know mommy always buys you the most expensive things but believe it or not: it's not true.

This kid must walk around with all his official Apple accessories with the tags and coverings still on to show people. Hell, I bet he still carries the receipt just to prove its apple - LOL.

Get some common sense or GTFO.

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
I've tried some more expensive screen protectors, but wasn't happy. the film was too thin and I couldn't get all the bubbles out and they peeled up on the edges. I threw this in on an amazon order cuz it was cheap (3 pack for 2.99):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XHS4SK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

LOVE IT! thicker plastic, sticks well, NO bubbles. works great. Yeah, it's for iPod Touch, but I think they have an iPhone one too.

MLS713

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Beware Of Zagg-worst Customer Service

BEWARE OF ZAGG-WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE

I really hope I like this product because

I ordered a skin for my Blackberry 9630 and my iPod Touch 2G. I selected Next Day Air option and when it showed up late, I phoned for a refund on the shipping portion and they wouldn’t oblige. The gave me 10 different excuses, none of which made sense. The only reason I ordered Next Day Air, was that I was leaving town for 10 days, otherwise, I would have had it shipped ground. I received an email stating that my product had been shipped, and I waited patiently for it arrive. Nope, so when I called the following day, on my way out of town, I asked for a refund for the overnight shipping. They said that it sometimes takes awhile for things to get out of their warehouse. So why did I receive an email stating my product had been shipped with a tracking number and why did I pay for overnight shipping? I told them I would return the product and they said it would take 30-60 days for a refund. So now I am stuck with a $25.00 product that I paid $44 to have shipped overnight, but the best part, is I received an email and it said, “If we receive mail that has postage due that amount will be deducted from your refund.”

The customer service support team is by far the worst I have ever encountered. I wish I ordered from one BodyGuardz or BestSkinsEver

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
well.....

Do the Merit screen protectors come off easy or are they with very sticky adhesive?

I muffed up on my Steinheil anti-fingerprint. And the bubbles on the edges will not be working to well with any of my cases other than the cozip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.