PDA

View Full Version : Legal to rip and convert non-protected DVDs?

KettyKrueger
Jul 6, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hi All,

I'm just wondered if it is illegal/naughty to rip and convert non-protected DVDs? By non-protected, I mean, if I was able to drag the contents of a DVD to my desktop, thus not using any unscrupulous means to import it. Would this be okay in the eyes of the law/copyright infringement people.

Thanks.

geoffreak
Jul 6, 2009, 03:01 PM
No. Same legality as protected stuff. It is the content, not the protection that determines copyright.

statik13
Jul 6, 2009, 04:17 PM
Who owns the copyright? If you are talking about ripping a home movie DVD then I don't think anybody will have a problem. If you're talking about ripping a pirated copy of some commercial movie that had the DRM previously removed, then your actions are just as illegal as if you ripped the original.

Loge
Jul 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
If it is non-protected how is it different from importing a CD into iTunes?

Tower-Union
Jul 6, 2009, 04:47 PM
Because that would be like arguing that its ok for me to lend my "non-protected cd" out to 100,000 "friends." :rolleyes:

Its this simple,

If you own it DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH IT, protected OR non protected.

If you DON'T own it, no you may not copy it in any way shape or form, protected OR non protected.

geoffreak
Jul 6, 2009, 05:02 PM
Don't forget that the only thing considered "okay" by media companies is buying a copy for each and every device you own, giving them more money. Whether or not they can prosecute you for not doing this is another story (they can't).

Shoesy
Jul 6, 2009, 05:10 PM
Just like to remind you guys that OP is in the UK.

And as such-

You don't own it. You own the right to view it. At home. By yourself. Don't go inviting any friends round. Be afraid. Be VERY AFRAID.

(p.s. any advice given s not my legal advice. I'm just saying alright. Don't sue me)

Anonymous Freak
Jul 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
Most Western countries have a legal framework within Copyright law called "Fair Use", that allows a private individual to use copyrighted content for their own personal use in various ways, without the direct permission of the copyright holder.

For example, using commercially-produced music in your home movies; or including a copyrighted photograph in a school report. Among those uses generally includes the right to make a backup, or to 'time-shift' or 'place-shift' content. AKA: Converting a CD into an MP3 for playback on a music player; or recording a TV show for playback later.

The rub in the U.S. is that the DMCA, while not barring these activities, makes it illegal to circumvent technical measures that prevent copying. AKA: You may have a "fair use" right to rip a DVD, but the act of ripping, because you are circumventing the CSS encryption, violates the law. As such, in the U.S., as long as you are staying within the bounds of "fair use", ripping a non-copy-protected DVD is 100% legal. (Note, the *ACT* of ripping is legal; what you do with the ripped files can cause other problems. Just because you can rip it, doesn't give you the right to go sharing it on peer-to-peer networks.)

I am not 100% certain about the law in the UK, though, in regards to "fair use".

Tallest Skil
Jul 6, 2009, 05:56 PM
The rub in the U.S. is that the DMCA, while not barring these activities, makes it illegal to circumvent technical measures that prevent copying. AKA: You may have a "fair use" right to rip a DVD, but the act of ripping, because you are circumventing the CSS encryption, violates the law. As such, in the U.S., as long as you are staying within the bounds of "fair use", ripping a non-copy-protected DVD is 100% legal. (Note, the *ACT* of ripping is legal; what you do with the ripped files can cause other problems. Just because you can rip it, doesn't give you the right to go sharing it on peer-to-peer networks.)

I LOVE the DCMA.... (and if you needed sarcasm tags, you have problems)

So, really, one way to be completely legal is: buy a DVD and then download the movie from a torrent file (:eek:) as opposed to using HandBrake, et. al. :p

Shoesy
Jul 6, 2009, 07:15 PM
'Fair use' in the Uk does not really come into it. As far as I know fair use in the Uk means having a go on the dodgems.

Don't rip DVD's it is illegal.

Unless you want to.

LethalWolfe
Jul 6, 2009, 07:29 PM
Most Western countries have a legal framework within Copyright law called "Fair Use", that allows a private individual to use copyrighted content for their own personal use in various ways, without the direct permission of the copyright holder.
Fair Use w/regards to US copyright law has nothing to do w/personal use. Fair Use in the US outlines how copyrighted materials can be used w/o permission of the copyright holder for things like news, analysis & criticism, and academics. Space-shifting, time-shifting, etc., came around from various court cases as well as the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992.

This is pretty much the gist of it in the US. The DMCA is basically a way for companies to do an end run around 20 years of legal precedent.

Lethal