Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Why? Because the iPhones GPS chip is HORRIBLE. Face it, none of the apps can keep your location locked well enough to have reliable turn by turn. The TomTom basically turns your iPhone into a TomTom, by adding a more powerful GPS chip. Save your money if you are going to be getting GPS software. I have tried them all, and they are all horrible.

Its a shame they made the GPS antenna or chip so anemic. Driving home today G-Map, and the new Sygic lost track of where I was several times and took a while to recalculate. xGPS doesnt have even a sniff of these two either. That likes to put me in the middle of neighborhoods and lakes! My friends phone does the same thing, as well as my 3G... I currently run a 3Gs.

LiquidThunderLT

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
I've never had a problem with the GPS or maps app for directions or location. If I put on sattelite map I can see clearly if I'm in my living room or bedroom. That's accurate enough for me. Probably one of my favorite aspects of the device.

The compass needs to stop always thinking my cars dashboard is north tho. That's annoying.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I've never had a problem with the GPS or maps app for directions or location. If I put on sattelite map I can see clearly if I'm in my living room or bedroom. That's accurate enough for me. Probably one of my favorite aspects of the device.

The compass needs to stop always thinking my cars dashboard is north tho. That's annoying.

If you stand still yes, but moving its horrible. Even the Google Maps put you off the road most of the time and skips forward and not a smooth motion. G-Map keeps you locked on roads, but sometimes jumps you off the road you are currently on, to an adjacent one. This is due to the iPhones GPS chip or antenna being too poor.

TomTom - wait for it.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Macworld has an interesting piece about the upcoming features: http://www.macworld.com/article/141539/2009/07/tomtomiphoneupdate.html (edit: same as PCworld link above;beat me to it)

The GPS unit comes with a AUX input jack and a Bluetooth microhone so users of FM transmitters may be left out in the cold if they don't have an option to buy that. It also says that TomTom is leaning towards a one time fee as opposed to the monthly fees of others.

I hope that it doesn't end up costing the same price as a standalone unit and they offer a FM transmitter option or else I have to get a new car stereo for my leased car.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Why? Because the iPhones GPS chip is HORRIBLE. Face it, none of the apps can keep your location locked well enough to have reliable turn by turn. The TomTom basically turns your iPhone into a TomTom, by adding a more powerful GPS chip. Save your money if you are going to be getting GPS software. I have tried them all, and they are all horrible.

Its a shame they made the GPS antenna or chip so anemic. Driving home today G-Map, and the new Sygic lost track of where I was several times and took a while to recalculate. xGPS doesnt have even a sniff of these two either. That likes to put me in the middle of neighborhoods and lakes! My friends phone does the same thing, as well as my 3G... I currently run a 3Gs.

I just drive in New York City with Sygic and G-map. Never lost my signal once. Maybe you need to learn how to position your gps properly?

TomTom is a joke, it's no better than the other GPS's. They are all entry level. No lane assist, no TTS = epic fail.

LiquidThunderLT

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
If you stand still yes, but moving its horrible. Even the Google Maps put you off the road most of the time and skips forward and not a smooth motion. G-Map keeps you locked on roads, but sometimes jumps you off the road you are currently on, to an adjacent one. This is due to the iPhones GPS chip or antenna being too poor.

TomTom - wait for it.

I'm excited for and will purchase the TomTom deal but I have had no issues with the built in GPS and maps app smoothly tracking me in motion. Occasionally if I take a turn it will stray to the side before pulling back to my location but this takes only seconds, I can't believe it would ever be a problem. I'm in a rural area, maybe you're in a city and there is more interference or obstruction?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I'm excited for and will purchase the TomTom deal but I have had no issues with the built in GPS and maps app smoothly tracking me in motion. Occasionally if I take a turn it will stray to the side before pulling back to my location but this takes only seconds, I can't believe it would ever be a problem. I'm in a rural area, maybe you're in a city and there is more interference or obstruction?

Tallest building on my way home is a 2 story house.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

TomTom - wait for it.

I used mine to track a trip from Ohio to D.C. without a glitch. The system nailed our position the entire time.

Dunno what phone you're using.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I just drive in New York City with Sygic and G-map. Never lost my signal once. Maybe you need to learn how to position your gps properly?

TomTom is a joke, it's no better than the other GPS's. They are all entry level. No lane assist, no TTS = epic fail.

Good points although I am surprised about it working in NYC with so many buildings. I'd never use it in Manhattan because I'd be using mass transit.

LiquidThunderLT

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Tallest building on my way home is a 2 story house.

Then how do you explain how our experiences are so wildly different? I have a super phone? So does my girlfriend?

I would never suggest the military to adopt the iPhone as it's exclusive GPS location tool, but for the average consumer it's almost laughable to suggest it's somehow wildly inadequate.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Then how do you explain how our experiences are so wildly different? I have a super phone? So does my girlfriend?

I would never suggest the military to adopt the iPhone as it's exclusive GPS location tool, but for the average consumer it's almost laughable to suggest it's somehow wildly inadequate.

Where do you mount yours? Mine is on the dash... maybe I need to move to the windshield?

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
FWIW, AT&T Navigator/Telenav worked flawlessly in downtown Chicago (the Loop), with skyscrapers and all and even passed a structure called the Sears Tower...

BTW, mine's was mounted on the dash.

Having said all that, I will still buy the TomTom app (can never have too many toys).

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Macworld has an interesting piece about the upcoming features: http://www.macworld.com/article/141539/2009/07/tomtomiphoneupdate.html (edit: same as PCworld link above;beat me to it)

The GPS unit comes with a AUX input jack and a Bluetooth microhone so users of FM transmitters may be left out in the cold if they don't have an option to buy that. It also says that TomTom is leaning towards a one time fee as opposed to the monthly fees of others.

I hope that it doesn't end up costing the same price as a standalone unit and they offer a FM transmitter option or else I have to get a new car stereo for my leased car.

Even more common will be those left out in the cold because they have their phone in a case. Unless there's another mounting option we haven't seen, all the demos show that clip that just fits the naked phone. I'm also waiting for all the threads about the clip leaving scratches on the black back and the chrome bezel.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Then how do you explain how our experiences are so wildly different?
Not sure how to explain that.

But if you find someone who does, can you PLEASE also have them explain the VAST differences in iPhone batteries between each user. :D

Usage seems to vary a LOT between units.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Even more common will be those left out in the cold because they have their phone in a case.

This is the thing that bothers me the most about the TomTom solution. I have an Agent 18 case and I like it :( but I'll deal with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.