Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorba1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I just went off with my Touch and expected it to connect at Star-bucks or at the Fairfield Hotel, but while I can see several Networks, it does not connect. At home, I have an Apple router and I did nothing when I first took the Touch out of the box. If I touch the arrow for any of the networks I get a screen with multiple choices and have NO IDEA what that all means. The rest of the story is that my macbook connected here at the hotel with NO problem and with me doing nothing except accepting the network offered.
To make it worse for me, a non tech person, I can't find any description of the fields that follow my accepting of any network offered on the initial screen.
Should I choose On or Off for Ask to join Networks? Again, I don't find any help screens on the Apple website to explain all this.
Very disappointing at the moment I might add but I'm sure there is someone who can provide some guidance and direction.
Thanks,
George

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The iPod touch will not automatically join any networks it has not previously joined. That is to say, if you have never been somewhere before, the iPod is not going to randomly guess what network you want to connect to.

In order to join a wireless network, tap on the name of the network, not the arrow to the right of its name. Doing so provides you information about the network but does not join it. If you are able to connect to a network, which does not guarantee an internet connection (more on this later), the name should appear in the WiFi screen with a checkmark next to its name. If a password is required, for a secure network, that is, then you will be presented with a prompt to enter the password which is likely case-sensitive. One more thing to keep in mind is that the MacBook is capable of connecting to a wider range of WiFi networks. Your iPod touch can only connect to b/g networks, if the hotel or somewhere else offers an n-speed network you may not even see it listed in the WiFi screen.

Now with that out of the way, many locations have ad-hoc wireless networks, which essentially means that they are there to basically provide computer-to-computer communication, i.e. file-sharing, printer-sharing, peer-to-peer, but not necessarily an internet connection. Since you are planning to use Starbuck's free WiFi, or another businesses' internet connection, may I suggest you inquire one of the employees what the name of their network is?

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I would set "ask to join networks" to on - it will pop up whenever it sees a wireless network, allowing you to join it easily. You don't need to touch the arrow, just touch the name of the network to connect. You might need to go into Safari to accept terms of use or log in to the hotspot, but that varies from location to location.

Your iPod touch can only connect to b/g networks, if the hotel or somewhere else offers an n-speed network you may not even see it listed in the WiFi screen.

That's not really an issue - you're not going to see any sort of corporation that offers wifi (like Starbucks) rolling out draft technology. The N-standard hasn't been accepted yet. So the OP's iPod should work with pretty much any public wifi access point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.