Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
I generally run an hour everyday with my iPod Shuffle. After 1 month of use the headphone controls were no longer working. I decided to use the pair that came with my iPhone since they also have volume controls. Today these started acting up. Has anyone else experienced these problems? I am guessing that sweat is entering the controls and now making them unusable. I love the size of the iPod but this is presenting a major problem for me. Any ideas?

whitebook

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Northern Ireland
Hmmmm take them back to Apple and ask for a replacement....I bought the new shuffle last week and have been using it quite a bit out running, in gym etc and ahvent came across this problem (yet). Never really thought about sweat getting into it but the more i do the more concerned i am lol

Irish486

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
I as well have experienced the same issue, with the controls they seem to be very sensitive to moisture. Even if I get them replaced what good will it do, if they are going to have the same problem. Does anyone know of a replacement that has the controls in a different location i.e. closer to the shuffle maybe?

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
I guess no one works out or runs with these new headphones? Ive gone through 3 pairs. Apple service has been great, but this is a hassle. I have even taped the headphone controls and sweat still gets in there, but at least they work for more than 30 days.

Any ideas?

Seahunt61

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
I have had my shuffle for a couple of weeks and had to get a replacement set of headphones today. Like others have posted, I began using my shuffle while exercising this week. I hope this is not the problem because I purchased the iPod solely to use while working out.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
I bought the Belkin Headphone Adapter for my Shuffle. It plugs into the device and keeps the controls away from my face:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=496831

It also lets me use whatever headphones I choose and has a more positive feel than the stock unit. It beats looking like I'm fiddling with my earrings when I'm trying to find a podcast.

Even then...how would you keep the controls away? Isn't it just a connector so you can change the songs more easily...thus making the cord a lil longer. What about the controls near the face?

I suggest buying new headphones and use the Apple one's for "less" active situations.

redknives

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Seattle, WA USA
I forgot to mention it's irrelevant if you use the adapter with the stock headphones (which I don't) - you use them with any standard non-remote headphone. Because the adapter plugs into the unit, the controls stay near the unit - like a 3" splice cord with the controls in the middle.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I believe there is a fundamental design problem with the control lump in the headphone cord; it is just not rugged enough to take repeated daily usage.

Such daily usage by walkers and runners should be anticipated, as this particular iPod appears to be directed primarily to workout applications.

It seemed a little flimsy when I first bought the iPod shuffle. Well, yesterday the center part stopped working. :( The top (volume up) and the bottom (volume down) continue to work, but the center section of the control is dead.

Called Apple Support. I must say; they are very cooperative and supportive. I will have a new unit on Monday via FedEx. The support person at Apple requested that I return the broken unit for analysis. That is a good sign, as any company interested in QUALITY will always analyze failures in order to improve the product.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
If I got my headphones with my Ipod Touch from Amazon, could I exchange them in the Apple store if they have future problems?:confused:

Yes. After you register the shuffle you can take it in to Apple for any repairs.

I got one of these for controlling the Shuffle with standard headphones and it works great. Good if you don't like another cable.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-26 at 9.04.43 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-26 at 9.04.43 AM.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,186

Jasonhenley

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
Hi, I have had the same problem today. The volume up control has given up totally.

As other people, I use these in the gym about 4/5 times per week at an hour a time.

Hope Apple can come up with something different, and also swap them for me.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I must say that Apple was very prompt in handling my problem with the earphones. They shipped a new pair . . . overnight, along with a prepaid return shipper for the defective earphones.

One problem, I think: My original earphones for this iPod Shuffle failed in about 3 months. The Apple warranty on the Shuffle and the included earphones is for one year. However, the note with the new replacement earphones stated that the new ones were guaranteed for three months. I suspect this is just an oversight and NOT an attempt by Apple to shortchange users.

HoboConsultant

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
A Hack to Fix the Problem

I've got a hack that worked PERFECTLY for me. I've tried to make the instructions VERY explicit and easy to follow, so there are more of them than I'd like. The worst case scenario in this is that it doesn't work and you've got to go to Apple to get them replaced. But I promise it's REALLY easy.

1. Buy some Scotchguard or some such.
2. Carefully--using your fingernail--separate the two parts of the controller for the headphones. You'll feel the little clips unsnap. Don't worry, they won't break or anything if you take it slow.
3. On the side that's still connected to the cable, you'll see three little contact points. At each end you'll see wires leading into the little board with the three contact points.
4. Spray the heck out of it, being sure to soak the wires that lead into the board with the three contact points. You don't want to create a pool of the stuff, but you want to give it 30+ seconds of dousing. If you get pooling, don't worry, you can just turn it over and let the excess drip out.
5. Use a hairdryer on high output (most air output), alternating medium heat and no heat to start the setting and drying process. Do about 15 seconds on medium heat and 45 seconds on just air.
6. Alternate like this four or five times.
7. Let the headphones dry overnight with the controls still open.
8. Next morning, carefully re-attach the other piece. One thing about this is that you want to make sure that the two little flaps of metal that stick out of the non-cable-attached piece slot into their spots. I found that if you start re-attaching by placing the little flap in its slot, the other one will snap right into its spot.

Bingo, no sweat or water problems.

Oorah.

phm41

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Don't know if this will help you runners who sweat a lot, but it works for me. I don't run, but I walk in a VERY hot and humid climate. Two things that help me keep the controls working 1. keep the battery charged and 2. I clean the prong that inserts in the ipod with alcohol. I also use a q-tip to swab the top of the ipod hole. I have had to do this a few times and each time, my controls starting working again.

afadda

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
spray with what?

I've got a hack that worked PERFECTLY for me. I've tried to make the instructions VERY explicit and easy to follow, so there are more of them than I'd like. The worst case scenario in this is that it doesn't work and you've got to go to Apple to get them replaced. But I promise it's REALLY easy.

1. Buy some Scotchguard or some such.
2. Carefully--using your fingernail--separate the two parts of the controller for the headphones. You'll feel the little clips unsnap. Don't worry, they won't break or anything if you take it slow.
3. On the side that's still connected to the cable, you'll see three little contact points. At each end you'll see wires leading into the little board with the three contact points.
4. Spray the heck out of it, being sure to soak the wires that lead into the board with the three contact points. You don't want to create a pool of the stuff, but you want to give it 30+ seconds of dousing. If you get pooling, don't worry, you can just turn it over and let the excess drip out.
5. Use a hairdryer on high output (most air output), alternating medium heat and no heat to start the setting and drying process. Do about 15 seconds on medium heat and 45 seconds on just air.
6. Alternate like this four or five times.
7. Let the headphones dry overnight with the controls still open.
8. Next morning, carefully re-attach the other piece. One thing about this is that you want to make sure that the two little flaps of metal that stick out of the non-cable-attached piece slot into their spots. I found that if you start re-attaching by placing the little flap in its slot, the other one will snap right into its spot.

Bingo, no sweat or water problems.

Oorah.

hi there,
i'm very interested in your solution. but spray with what? water?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.