Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neo2741

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
What are a few freetext apps I could use to text internationly. Do they exist?

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
If by "international texting" you mean being able to send SMS in local languages, have you tried to set up the correct keyboards in Preferences (General\International\Keyboards) then selecting the "world" icon (just to the right of the space bar) in the sms application.

Neo2741

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
i want to be able to send texts to my wife in another country. i downloaded a few apps and they can only send to the states.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I've been using Yahoo! IM on Beejive and I can send SMS messages to Asia really easy and FREE. It works incoming and outgoing SMS to my app, not to mention it has push. Which country are you sending it to? You might wanna try Yahoo! IM to check it out, then purchase Beejive if your country is included.

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
You can use the skype app. It's very cheap. You can check out their rates.

Neo2741

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
i'm trying to send to South Korea. I've tried skype, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I think I'll give yahoo a shot. Thank you

top-dawg

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
FishText is in the app store now. It's not exactly free, but it's the cheapest paid for service around at the moment. So if you wanted the reliability of the message being sent to South Korea i would take a look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.