PDA

View Full Version : 16 GB White iPhone 3GS Stocks Run Low in Apple Retail Stores

MacRumors
Jul 7, 2009, 11:00 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/07/16-gb-white-iphone-3gs-stocks-run-low-in-apple-retail-stores/)

Fortune reports (http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/07/07/where-have-all-the-white-iphones-gone/) that Apple retail store stocks of the 16 GB white iPhone 3GS model have fallen precipitously low early this week. At present, only 10% of Apple's over 200 retail stores have the model currently in stock.Apple has been having trouble keeping the entry-level white iPhone in stock since the new 3GS went on sale two and a half weeks ago. But as of Tuesday morning, it has all but disappeared. . . It's not clear whether demand for the white 16GB model is unusually high, or if Apple just isn't making enough of them.Most Apple retail stores currently have both the black and white 32 GB models available, while the black 16 GB is available in only about 35-40% of stores.

In late June, Apple posted an online availability tracker (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/26/apple-posts-online-iphone-3gs-availability-database/) for the new iPhone 3GS, updated hourly with stock levels at each of its retail stores. Supplies of many models tightened (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/29/u-s-apple-retail-store-iphone-3gs-supplies-begin-to-tighten/) early last week, but rebounded later in the week.

Article Link: 16 GB White iPhone 3GS Stocks Run Low in Apple Retail Stores (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/07/16-gb-white-iphone-3gs-stocks-run-low-in-apple-retail-stores/)

Anuba
Jul 7, 2009, 12:22 PM
This is just speculation, but... maybe a lot of people who had the more popular black iPhone 3G wanted a white 3GS because they were tired of the black finish. Since the 3GS looks identical, changing to the white one boosts the feeling of getting something new and fresh.

Bubba Satori
Jul 7, 2009, 02:35 PM
That's hot.

KindredMAC
Jul 7, 2009, 03:01 PM
I just don't like the look of the white one. I still wish they could have included an aluminum version. I LOVE the look of my first gen iPhone. I also understand the limitations that an aluminum shell puts on the innards, but still...... THAT was hot.

Gyrferret
Jul 7, 2009, 03:05 PM
Perhaps (and this is a stretch), ther WAS something wrong with the white iPhone..... As a result, there's a supply shortage while Apple remakes them.

I know that someone(s) will say "it's the cases!" that cause all this, however, I think that there is an underlying cause that isn't just simple demand....

ifonehacks
Jul 7, 2009, 03:11 PM
It's not just the white. In the Apple store near me they are out of all 16GB models.

BrownManUPS
Jul 7, 2009, 03:27 PM
This is just speculation, but... maybe a lot of people who had the more popular black iPhone 3G wanted a white 3GS because they were tired of the black finish. Since the 3GS looks identical, changing to the white one boosts the feeling of getting something new and fresh.

+1 I am of this crowd. I think the white is way better looking after having used both.

tremlock
Jul 7, 2009, 03:33 PM
Walked right in and got my 16gb white 3gs on the 22nd no problem. In and out in 10 minutes

macduke
Jul 7, 2009, 03:41 PM
Walked right in and got my 16gb white 3gs on the 22nd no problem. In and out in 10 minutes

That's cool and all...but ummm...that was over two weeks ago?? How is that relevant to what's happening right now?

iphones4evry1
Jul 7, 2009, 03:41 PM
It's because they are shipping all the white ones over to Japan. They love the white ones over there. Can't keep up with demand. They can't keep them stocked. I have a friend that lives in Japan and she said the white ones are huge over there.

Anuba
Jul 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
Perhaps (and this is a stretch), ther WAS something wrong with the white iPhone..... As a result, there's a supply shortage while Apple remakes them.

I know that someone(s) will say "it's the cases!" that cause all this, however, I think that there is an underlying cause that isn't just simple demand....
I dunno, the white one has been around for a year now and since they didn't change the design, I doubt that they changed the materials.

I just think the demand is greater than expected. I've heard many owners of the black iPhone 3G saying they wish they would've gotten the white one, and vice versa. Since the black 3G was the most popular one by far the last time around, logically the demand for white should go up with the 3GS, but Apple probably based the manufacturing on the modest demand for the old white 3G.

I have a white 3G myself and for a long time I wish I would've gotten the black one, but after a while I realized I already had the one I would've wanted if I had bought the black one. ;)

rickdollar
Jul 7, 2009, 04:11 PM

That described my situation perfectly. However, I ended up going with the black one again. :)

brownieguy19
Jul 7, 2009, 04:15 PM
We have no way of knowing if black was more or less popular than the white one with the 3G. The white had a $100 extra price tag. Consumers did not have the same black/white decision they have with the 3GS.

Now when you go in the store to purchase an iPhone 3GS you can have either color in either size for either price.

Sky Blue
Jul 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
Must be a large amount of girls buying the 3GS

Anuba
Jul 7, 2009, 04:47 PM
Err... white and black are as gender neutral as any colors can be. If white is a "girlie" color, I suppose only girls bought Macs and iPods between 2003 and 2007 when pretty much all of Apple's products were white.

iCantwait
Jul 7, 2009, 04:47 PM
just sold my white 3g, want a white 16gb 3gs now, pity, both apple stores in melbourne are 100% sold out of iPhones

Blacklabel34
Jul 7, 2009, 05:45 PM
Err... white and black are as gender neutral as any colors can be. If white is a "girlie" color, I suppose only girls bought Macs and iPods between 2003 and 2007 when pretty much all of Apple's products were white.
I don't agree or disagree but between the years when most apple products were white, There Wasn't A Choice! Give me the choice of any product apple sells and I will get it in black (I know there's more of you out there:D). But if you do look at the demographics. Most males end up with black and most females end up with white. It's not a big deal especially when everyone puts a case over them anyways. Then you can't even tell the difference.;)

BTW Im just throwing this out there. Would most of you say the white is more "flashy" then the black? or do most of you think the black is more "flashy"?

djgamble
Jul 7, 2009, 07:28 PM
It's because they are shipping all the white ones over to Japan. They love the white ones over there. Can't keep up with demand. They can't keep them stocked. I have a friend that lives in Japan and she said the white ones are huge over there.

Agreed... I live in Japan and everybody digs them here!

K00LJerk
Jul 8, 2009, 12:09 AM
Back to the original post, when are new phones due to arrive in the states?

iRich1G
Jul 8, 2009, 12:10 AM
I just got mine today that I ordered from an AT&T store over a week ago. I went with white for exactly this reason. I had the black 3G, and the 1st gen before, so I wanted some variety looks wise. I wasn't too sure about white at first, but now after having it I know I made the right choice:D

Seriously "Sky Blue" I'm glad that I'm secure enough with my masculinity that I can rock a white iPhone:rolleyes:

Rocketman
Jul 8, 2009, 01:08 AM
There is a strong possibility that the white iPhone heating issue rumor, which was resolved the very next day by Apple, was not damped down to assist with inventory control issues while they ramp white this week.

Rocketman

Pure speculation. ;)

TheSlush
Jul 8, 2009, 01:56 AM
Perhaps the white model became the popular choice once it got out that Apple's head of design Jonathan Ive uses a white iPhone. (As revealed in the recent documentary "Objectified".)

iphones4evry1
Jul 8, 2009, 03:04 AM
But if you do look at the demographics. Most males end up with black and most females end up with white.
BTW Im just throwing this out there. Would most of you say the white is more "flashy" then the black? or do most of you think the black is more "flashy"?
I definitely agree with you that although black and white do not seem gender specific (like pink vs blue), when the only choices are black and white, I have noticed that most girls choose white and most guys choose black. I'm sure a psychologist could try and give us an explanation, but I definitely agree that the statistics show girls with white and boys with black.
Although there are exceptions, back when I was a kid in school, boys almost never wore white shoes and girls frequently had white shoes (remember Vans and Etnies?). I don't know what the psychology was, but that's the way it was. Maybe it has to do with dominant/bold/masculine versus pretty/feminine. Black is bold and dominant and white is more "cute." I don't know, but I think that's a good guess. That is the natural way, but it seems that fashion has changed in the last few years and it's perfectly acceptable for a guy to have white today (although EVERY guy that I know has a black iPhone).

My friend had a white Mac back then. He said he hated the white, but it was the only color they made. So, there is an example of a guy who bought a white Mac but really wanted a different color. He had a blue case over it most of the time.

it seems that white iphone is more popular than black iphone. there are 41 iphone retail stores in US, while among them, 30 has no 16GB iphone in stock. it is really very crazy.

I think they're just shipping all the black ones to U.S. stores and all the white ones over to Japan.
Take a look at inventories and you will see that this makes sense.

Anuba
Jul 8, 2009, 05:15 AM
Perhaps the white model became the popular choice once it got out that Apple's head of design Jonathan Ive uses a white iPhone. (As revealed in the recent documentary "Objectified".)
Yeah, white has made a strong comeback in industrial design (Apple were a few years ahead with their white era). In the 90's it was the most shunned automotive color but nowadays every car ad uses a white one. Audi, VW and BMW are crazy about white at the moment and have been for the last couple of years.

In my line of work (graphic design, advertising) the white iPhone is far more popular, I guess those people are slightly more sensitive to trends. Black is a bit 90's if you ask me. As for white being more "ghey", well, those associations go both ways. Maybe those who prefer the shiny black version secretly want to look like this guy:

http://www.epk.com/wp-content/uploads/VillagePeopleGuy.jpg

iOrlando
Jul 8, 2009, 08:40 AM
shortages spread....now 16gb black is pretty much tough to find in many states....shipments needed badly...

IgnatiusTheKing
Jul 8, 2009, 08:42 AM
It's not just the white. In the Apple store near me they are out of all 16GB models.

It looks like the entire state of Texas is out of all the 16GB models and many stores in the state are also sold out of the white 32GB model.

kurosov
Jul 8, 2009, 08:45 AM
Glad i asked to have a white one put away for me when the 2nd stock came into my local o2 store as by the time i managed to pick it up it was the last one available :D

navigates
Jul 8, 2009, 09:30 AM

Absolutely agree. That's what I did

BeyondtheTech
Jul 8, 2009, 10:43 AM
Is it just me, or is it just impossible not to get the largest capacity available when it comes to mobile devices?

When the 4 and 8 came out, I opted for 8. Took a while to fill up 8 then.
When the 8 and 16 came out, I opted for 16. Took less time, but managed to fill up 16.
When the 16 and 32 came out, well, you know....

My friend calls my white 32GB iPhone "girlish." I wholeheartedly disagree. Considering so many devices are silver to black, this is a refreshing change.

iOrlando
Jul 8, 2009, 11:00 AM
Is it just me, or is it just impossible not to get the largest capacity available when it comes to mobile devices?

When the 4 and 8 came out, I opted for 8. Took a while to fill up 8 then.
When the 8 and 16 came out, I opted for 16. Took less time, but managed to fill up 16.
When the 16 and 32 came out, well, you know....

My friend calls my white 32GB iPhone "girlish." I wholeheartedly disagree. Considering so many devices are silver to black, this is a refreshing change.

well i got the 16gb because i just know i wont use more than that.(had an ipod touch..and used only about 7-8 if that).

concerning white and girlish...hmmm...i think it is more feminine than the black, but i'm not dissing it. I just think when you compare black to white and say which is more girly...i would go with white...

sort of like yellow and black...i would go with yellow for girl.

mrdinh
Jul 8, 2009, 11:03 AM
i'm glad we have a choice for white...looks more like a apple thing

Sky Blue
Jul 8, 2009, 11:08 AM

come on, the white iPhone is like the iPod Mini, everyone know it for girls!

kurosov
Jul 8, 2009, 11:09 AM
well i got the 16gb because i just know i wont use more than that.(had an ipod touch..and used only about 7-8 if that).

concerning white and girlish...hmmm...i think it is more feminine than the black, but i'm not dissing it. I just think when you compare black to white and say which is more girly...i would go with white...

sort of like yellow and black...i would go with yellow for girl.

Strange thing is i as a guy have always liked white phones since i saw an old clamshell style one with an analogue clock on it. Yet ever girl i know prefers the black iPhone. guess its just the kind of females i associate with :p

Bobpresto
Jul 8, 2009, 11:24 AM
Since the 3Gs was released in Ireland on the 26/6 there hasn't been
any white iPhones sold and about 10 32GB's. And that's because we
didn't get any shipments of white iPhones and only ten 32GB's.
O2 Ireland............:mad:

Anuba
Jul 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Strange thing is i as a guy have always liked white phones since i saw an old clamshell style one with an analogue clock on it. Yet ever girl i know prefers the black iPhone. guess its just the kind of females i associate with :p
Well, the black one looks cleaner because it's just silver and black period. The white one is, somewhat unintentionally, 3-colored since there's still a black bezel around the screen.

I'm still perplexed as to the white=girlie thing though. Had it been pink I would understand but I don't get the white thing at all. Is it that wedding dresses are white and tuxes are black? Sounds a bit 19th century for hitech users if you ask me. ;)

iPhoneNYC
Jul 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
I went with the black and it seemed that black was more popular. I guess I was wrong. Although, one I put my case on I don't know what color I purchased.

Becordial
Jul 9, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'm a guy yet to buy an S model (have to drop my black 3G a few more times to justify it;) but will also do the white one to make it feel fresh and new.

And if anyone's deciding whether a white or black phone makes them seems boyish or girlish, then they're focussing on the wrong things. Get what you want peeps and let your other qualities shine!

iWoz
Jul 9, 2009, 10:05 AM
Got a black 3g, getting a white 3gs.. Probably because the white one was made to seem mor exclusive last year, Im sure people would of gone for the black if it was vice versa