Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
I am currently shooting with a 50D and I have been contemplating upgrading to the Canon 5D Mark II since it is a full frame camera – all my lenses are of the L variety. I am trying to justify though spending the $2,700+ on purchasing it. In doing that I’m also questioning whether full-frame makes that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Currently, my business is shooting about 5-6 weddings this year and I anticipate many more next year (somewhere in the range of 10-12). Is it worth while to invest in it or should I hold off? On a side note: Money isn’t the issue, I have enough currently to purchase it should I choose to.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I like the HD video capability of this camera. If I d buy one this would be for this.

Yeah I now your more looking for the camera features, but still this camera is amazing on this.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'd say go for it. The 50D packs a heck of a lot of pixels onto a small(ish) sensor. The 5D spreads those out a bit more, and has noticeably better color. Shallow depth of field is a bit easier with FF and if your lenses are quality - the 5D will make them shine.

Video clips might be a fun bonus feature too, even if it isn't a primary function that you will use.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I am currently shooting with a 50D and I have been contemplating upgrading to the Canon 5D Mark II since it is a full frame camera – all my lenses are of the L variety. I am trying to justify though spending the $2,700+ on purchasing it. In doing that I’m also questioning whether full-frame makes that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Currently, my business is shooting about 5-6 weddings this year and I anticipate many more next year (somewhere in the range of 10-12). Is it worth while to invest in it or should I hold off? On a side note: Money isn’t the issue, I have enough currently to purchase it should I choose to.

Why not just buy a classic 5D or a 1DSMKII. I see those go for a tad over 2K now. Crazy.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
If you can afford it then get it. You can probably use that body for a Loooong time. I am saving up myself

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Why not just buy a classic 5D or a 1DSMKII. I see those go for a tad over 2K now. Crazy.

Interestingly enough I did find a 1DSMKII on Amazon going for $2,400 which would also save me from having to buy a battery grip – I am fanatical about having a battery grip even when I had my Rebel XT!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
If you're eyeing on 2nd hand 1D, then do yourself a favor and factor in a new shutter service of about 100 bucks. If you cannot reliably be told how many pics have been taken, you should assume it's a lot.

Though the 1D can take a lot of good use, all moving parts fail at some point, and you do not want it to be in the middle of paying job; which means you should most probably get the shutter exchanged immediately after purchase.

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
I’m also wondering whether there is a significant difference between the DIGIC IV processor in both the newer 5D and even my 50D vs the DIGIC II in the older 1D. Any thoughts?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
If I remember this one correctly, DIGIC II has 12bit A/D but starting with DIGIC III it was 14bit. So better colour accuracy for starters.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Will your clients purchase more and bigger prints if you offer them? Can you work with it in the conditions you shoot in, and will you have less PP to do if so? I'd highly recommend renting one with a copy of your most used lens, and shooting some tests in a venue you use a lot, then you can decide based upon side-by-side results in prints.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
5D MkII

Aside from deciding if the crop factor and coolness factor are enough to justify the upgrade. You want to make sure you set a time period to amortize your purchase. So, in 6 months will I make enough money from the business to pay this camera off? Or a Year, 2 years, whatever you set the period to be. I myself am thinking about upgrading from a 40D to a 5DMII, but I am just starting out with the whole business photography aspect and this is one of the problems I've beset upon myself haha. So, just something to think about. But it is a wicked awesome camera. If you get one, let us know how you like it!

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Aside from deciding if the crop factor and coolness factor are enough to justify the upgrade. You want to make sure you set a time period to amortize your purchase. So, in 6 months will I make enough money from the business to pay this camera off? Or a Year, 2 years, whatever you set the period to be. I myself am thinking about upgrading from a 40D to a 5DMII, but I am just starting out with the whole business photography aspect and this is one of the problems I've beset upon myself haha. So, just something to think about. But it is a wicked awesome camera. If you get one, let us know how you like it!

That’s a good point and based on this year’s average booking, I could pay it off in two weddings - which I have two left this year. I think my advantage has been that I infused a lot of our personal savings into the business when I started so I paid cash for everything, no credit, including the 50D, Cases & Packs, L Lenses, etc. So the business has no debt to date which is also a great thing.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
The 5Dmk2 is an excellent purchase for you, IMO. Keep the 50D as your "Tele" cam and the 5D on the other shoulder for your portraits and landscape shots at the wedding. I, too, went through the same decision making process and shoot with a 40D. I had one L lens and decided to pick up the 5D kit with the 24-105L. Combined with the 70-200/2.8 IS, I am set with the 5D. I use a 50mm (Sigma 1.4) on the 40D and the 24-105 on the 5D as walk arounds for most weddings. My wife also shoots with me on a 5D classic and the 70-200 in some cases. Works great.

The 5D is going to be a good purchase for another 2-2.5 years, body-wise. Even long after it has been EOL'ed, just as the original 5D and 1Dmk2's are still excellent cams. I also look at it as more than a business expense. It's a pretty awesome Family Cam too! With a 4 year old son, I get a chance to take lots of fun practice shots....with the ease of clicking into Live Mode for Video on the fly! 1080P at that. Pretty awesome machine.

Good Luck

J

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I’m also wondering whether there is a significant difference between the DIGIC IV processor in both the newer 5D and even my 50D vs the DIGIC II in the older 1D. Any thoughts?

DIGIC is irrelevant.

If I remember this one correctly, DIGIC II has 12bit A/D but starting with DIGIC III it was 14bit. So better colour accuracy for starters.

12bit vs 14bit has nothing to do with color accuracy, just how much you can post-process before banding/posterizing becomes a problem...and even then, no one's decided if it really makes a difference in the real world.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I'd say go for it based on the ISO performance. I have found it to be excellent and is great for weddings which can often be in low light.

21MP images are beautiful to look at too - the amount of detail really has blown me away.

I don't think you will regret it. I know I didn't.

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
Do you only have a 50d? If you are shooting weddings a backup camera is absolutely essential.

If you were planning on selling it and buying a 5d Mk2 keep it and get a classic, if you were planning on keeping carry on.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Get it. Now. :D

Seriously, when I upgraded to the 5D Mark II, the difference was quite noticeable. I was shooting with an XTi, and a friend's 40D, and the full-frame just blew them away! I know I didn't regret the decision of buying the camera. It's also gotten me a lot more jobs too. :)

Trust me, once you go to full-frame, you'll never go back! But like someone suggested, use your 50D as a tele-camera, and your 5D for just about everything else.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
Do you only have a 50d? If you are shooting weddings a backup camera is absolutely essential.

If you were planning on selling it and buying a 5d Mk2 keep it and get a classic, if you were planning on keeping carry on.

5d classic is good.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
That’s a good point and based on this year’s average booking, I could pay it off in two weddings - which I have two left this year. I think my advantage has been that I infused a lot of our personal savings into the business when I started so I paid cash for everything, no credit, including the 50D, Cases & Packs, L Lenses, etc. So the business has no debt to date which is also a great thing.

As already suggested, make an investment and rent one if possible for a few days, even if not doing a proper job, maybe borrow some friends and have them do a test shoot at a location you know. It will give you some idea of what you can expect & maybe get comfortable with the camera quicker.

I would suggest that should you buy the 5DmkII you keep the 50D as a spare, of even use it during events as an alternate. The camera is your business so an additional quality body is a solid investment as you can't ask a couple to wait a day or two for the big day :)

Long term, I believe you wont be hurting yourself with the new camera, a higher quality photo should lead to more sales, even if you do not marginally increase your prices for offering your customers a better quality photo shoot to begin with. Your lack of debt for the business is a big plus and makes it much easier to say go for it.

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Should I read anything into the fact that both Amazon and B&H are on back order for the 5D Mark II?

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2006
Should I read anything into the fact that both Amazon and B&H are on back order for the 5D Mark II?

I waited a month and a half for my 5dmark2 to ship, i ordered it in mid january got it first week of march.

best camera i've ever owned. honestly, you'll love it, it's my baby.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona

Not really, and I wouldn't get it from Amazon. The retailer that Amazon uses changes from time to time, as does the cost.

I'd go with B&H, where it is backordered and available at different times during a given week. Just keep checking and eventually it'll be in stock. It used to be that weeks would go by before it was in stock. Now it's probably just a matter of a few days. It's an extremely popular camera, but supply has started to catch up with demand.

If you pay more than B&H's price of $2699, you're paying too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.