Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matte or Glossy?

• Matte

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Glossy

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
lets say glare is not an issue
and i use the color profile adobe RGB

which screen (matte or glossy) will match the photo print?

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
this poll desperately needs a "duh" option.
your screen and its colour-profile aren't the only variables in this game.

to get the monitor image matching to the print you need to calibrate one of the two (or maybe both) so they match.

but i'm not an expert on this, so come hopefully someone else will detail the necessary steps.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I prefer matte computer screens. If your talking about photo prints I think the glossy ones are nice too.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Whoops... I voted before I read. I assumed you were talking about prints, and voted for glossy. With screens, I'd prefer a matte, calibrated option.

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
thanks for the reply people

I have to imagine that in 95% of non-press use cases, the glossy screen’s deeper colors, whiter whites and richer blacks will be preferred. It’s certainly a more striking screen at first glance, and using it is very satisfying.

do my photo prints will have deeper colors, whiter whites and richer blacks if i use glossy macbook pro and calibrate both mac and printer?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
based on my experience with a 24" iMac, matte is better. the gloss made everything oversaturated compared to my 20" Cinema.

printing vs not printing is irrelevant, except for the fact that extreme color accuracy isn't important if you don't print since you don't need to worry about the paper. the most pathetic of monitor screens have more dynamic range than a piece of paper.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I have a 17" UMBP (glossy) and a 22 IPS monitor (matte),
Both monitors after calibration LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. Colors, saturation, blacks, whites.........except one has my reflection in it.

As long as you calibrate both screens they should be very close.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
do my photo prints will have deeper colors, whiter whites and richer blacks if i use glossy macbook pro and calibrate both mac and printer?
The gamut of printers is (when you use a decent glossy/matte screen) always smaller than that of the screen. It's an inherent limitation of printing technology (which you will also have if your monitor has wide gamut and matte finish).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.