Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I just purchased a new TV and stereo to go along with my new tv console. The console holds the DVR, Receiver, Wii, PS3 and the power conditioner. I usually keep the front doors shut so no one runs into it them and breaks them. I recently noticed that the inside gets really really hot, Mostly the DVR puts out the most heat. I wanted to to attach some computer case fans to the back of the console to suck out the hot air.

I can buy some cheap computer fans and a molex to DC adapter and just have them run all the time, but id like to use some kind of thermostat to cut them on and off at certain temperatures. Ive done some research and have seen some home theater kits but I cant see paying $100 for a fan and thermostat. Does anyone know of combination I can put together that arnt necessarily "Home Theater" specific. Something like a home AC thermostat that just cuts power on and off to the fans.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Just have them run all the time or unplug them when the media center isn't running.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Get a cooling fan for the PS3, and get a couple laptop cooling pads with fans and put them in between devices.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Yes. You will need to cut holes in the back of the cabinet to push air in and out.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Yes. You will need to cut holes in the back of the cabinet to push air in and out.

I planned on installing fans to do this I just wasnt sure if I should have a constant fan or a thermostat that will cut on and off. Seems like there should be some kind of computer case application I can use for this.

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
Most of our electrical panels at work have a filter on the air inlet and outlet which may be worth including if you are going to the trouble of fitting fans.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I think I will be ok finding fans, I dont have any set spaces where I need to fit a fan, im pretty open. I would just like to find a way to have the fans kick on when the temp gets up and then kick off when it isnt needed. just like a computer case.

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
I have 4 120mm computer case fans in mine... running them at 5V, practically silent, and I doubt they are using much power.

Attachments

• P2270280.jpg
    P2270280.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P2270281.jpg
    P2270281.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 110

sab46

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
You may be able to improve the temp in your cabinet without adding fans. I have a similar set of components to you and don't have any temp issues in the cabinet. I built the cabinet myself (I do woodworking as a hobby). The key is to have openings in the back of the cabinet near the bottom AND top of the cabinet. The chimney effect will help pull in cool air from the bottom and expel warm area through the top. The openings in most mass-manufactured cabinets are only designed with cable management in mind, not cooling. Before you spend the money on adding fans, try adding large openings at the top and bottom of the back - it could be enough to fix your problem.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have a PC in a small room in a frog. I was trying to figure out how to cut down on some of the heat that it produces. Do you think it would be ok to vent the power supply fan into the attic? Thinking using a dryer vent to keep the flow of air in one direction.

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Neat idea, how much $, time and effort?

About 75 bucks in parts, and maybe half an hour to install. I made a switch box with a single-pole double-throw switch from Radio Shack so I can switch from 5V, 12V, and off. I kick it up to 12V when running the PS3.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
well, I was in the same boat as you - wondering what to do b/c I have glass doors on my idea entertainment unit. My bell PVR was acting up and all the components were egg-ready hot.

So I broke down and simply removed the doors. Dust was getting in anyways so I'll just wipe it down every few days if it bugs me.

I thought about putting fans in, but decided to try this first and it works just fine.

I do have a laptop cooling pad (without a fan) underneath the ATV, but I don't think it cools the ATV itself, but simply having the ATV off the cabinet bottom allows air circulation.

I also unplug the ATV - why it doesn't have a power off button is beyond me (and another story). I know you can press play to put it to sleep, but it still runs hot when I do that.

cheers,
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.