PDA

View Full Version : QuickTime Player

OSUbuckeyefan
Jun 3, 2004, 06:39 PM
Is Apple's Quicktime Player included in the Windows operating system?

Thanks!

superbovine
Jun 3, 2004, 07:04 PM
Is Apple's Quicktime Player included in the Windows operating system?

Thanks!

no

MacFan26
Jun 3, 2004, 08:07 PM
but you can download it from apple.com

Stike
Jun 3, 2004, 08:28 PM
While you are at it, why donīt you download iTunes instead :D
Quicktime is included in the download, and you get a great MP3-Player and Jukebox for free ;)

IJ Reilly
Jun 3, 2004, 08:28 PM
In theory at least, since the antitrust case settlement, an OEM could elect to pre-install Quicktime on their boxes. But I'm not sure if any do.

OSUbuckeyefan
Jun 4, 2004, 12:35 PM
While you are at it, why donīt you download iTunes instead :D
Quicktime is included in the download, and you get a great MP3-Player and Jukebox for free ;)

Well, I actually already am a proud Macintosh computer owner, so I have QuickTime :p

Reason I asked that question is because I am in the process of developing some video content for the web. I was just worried about alienating the Windows users if I produce in the QuickTime format.

stoid
Jun 4, 2004, 12:39 PM
Well, I actually already am a proud Macintosh computer owner, so I have QuickTime :p

Reason I asked that question is because I am in the process of developing some video content for the web. I was just worried about alienating the Windows users if I produce in the QuickTime format.

From my experience on the web, it seems like QuickTime is about as widely used os WMP. I you want to go platform independent, go for a Flash encoded video. You can also add a great deal of interactivity which could be a huge plus depending upon your design.

MisterMe
Jun 4, 2004, 01:01 PM

Reason I asked that question is because I am in the process of developing some video content for the web. I was just worried about alienating the Windows users if I produce in the QuickTime format.It is common for Windows users to have QuickTime installed. I would go with QuickTime .mov or .mpeg files. Both are considered standards. It is important that each of us insist that standards be used on the Internet. To shrink from this responsibility is to surrender to Microsoft.

DGFan
Jun 4, 2004, 01:05 PM
In theory at least, since the antitrust case settlement, an OEM could elect to pre-install Quicktime on their boxes. But I'm not sure if any do.

Well, HP does, of course
:)

OSUbuckeyefan
Jun 4, 2004, 03:30 PM
It is common for Windows users to have QuickTime installed. I would go with QuickTime .mov or .mpeg files... .

I'm curious - what is the differenc between encoding as .mov or .mpeg? It seems both use the QuickTime player. Is there an advantage of one or the other?

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!