PDA

View Full Version : Audacity question: moving tracks around

juanm
Jul 7, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hi!

Today I missed class, so my girlfriend used Audacity to record it, There were two different courses, but instead of creating a new project for each, she just created a new track, so now when playing and exporting, well, listening to two different teachers talk at the same time is confusing, to say the least.

I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to sound editing, so the question is: How can I copy one of the tracks and paste it into a new project so I can export each of them as a separate .mp3?
Copy and paste seem to be disabled/not working, and in the "File" drop menu, everything is greyed out...

Thanks for your help!

spaceboots06
Jul 7, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hi!

Today I missed class, so my girlfriend used Audacity to record it, There were two different courses, but instead of creating a new project for each, she just created a new track, so now when playing and exporting, well, listening to two different teachers talk at the same time is confusing, to say the least.

I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to sound editing, so the question is: How can I copy one of the tracks and paste it into a new project so I can export each of them as a separate .mp3?
Copy and paste seem to be disabled/not working, and in the "File" drop menu, everything is greyed out...

Thanks for your help!

I myself am not familiar with audacity anymore; I haven't used it in 6 months easily, but I think you have to somehow convert the type of audio it is and then you'll be able to copy/paste it. Perhaps you can upload the project file and someone can take a look at it.

Dale Campbell
Jul 8, 2009, 06:34 AM
Several ways of doing it.

Easiest is probably just clicking mute on one of the tracks then you can export just the other, then repeat vica-versa.

Or

change from this tool which selects sections of audio (TOP ONE IN THUMBNAILS BELOW)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16002444@N07/3700326517/

to this tool which moves the tracks back and forward on the timeline (BOTTOM ONE IN THUMBNAILS BELOW

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16002444@N07/3701137988/

So you can just slide it so that they don't overlap

juanm
Jul 8, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hi guys, thanks! It's allright now. Closing and relaunching Audacity solved the disabled exporting problem...

Cheers!