Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baconmacNcheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Is it worth the $41 (when I purchase it preinstalled with a new MBP) or should I save that $41 and just download OpenOffice for free?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I think iWork is a great value
Keynote is worth the price alone... but only if you use it
Pages is a great word processor
Numbers is a good spreadsheet, but if you need the power of Excel you will be disappointed

For the money, it is an excellent value

But Open Office/Neo Office are free
So is Bean

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would recommend you to download iWork '09 trial and OpenOffice and compare and think is iWork worth the money

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, just like one poster above said, Keynote alone is worth $41. I spent the student discount price of an iWork '09 and use ONLY the Keynote. For word processing and spreadsheet, I just use Office 2008 for mac :)

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Try them both. I prefer iWork though. (if it matters I prefer iWork over Office for Mac, but I think I might just be unlucky there. Every time I save something on it I have some disaster)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm an iWork fan. I haven't gotten into Keynote much but Pages is a pretty solid app and Numbers is progressing nicely.

I've downloaded Open Office but it doesn't "feel" like a Mac app. I like that in iWork all my media is available from the Media Browser. iWork feels like an extension of iLife.

$41 bucks is cheap for productivity gains and I think most Mac users would be more productive with iWork. The templates are pretty damn good as well.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Trial and torrent versions are actually the same, I think. Both needs the serial. I downloaded the trial from Apple's site and entered serial which I found from net. I did the same with Photoshop as well. Easiest way to avoid trojans and other malware :D

Well now we can tell those people asking why Safari broke their Limewire what the proper way to steal things is.

As to the OP, I use both Office and iWork, I would never use PowerPoint again after using Keynote, it is superior in every possible way.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well now we can tell those people asking why Safari broke their Limewire what the proper way to steal things is.

As to the OP, I use both Office and iWork, I would never use PowerPoint again after using Keynote, it is superior in every possible way.

:D:D:D Limewire is the worst torrent app, µTorrent or Azureus FTW!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.