Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Does anyone else think it is a good idea to have an extra SD slot on a camera for a spare memory card? Doesnt have to be functional, just hold the card. Just a thought

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
You could easily stick it in your pocket? Why would they make a non-functional slot. Canon would get 50 calls an hour from people wondering why their SD card isn't being recognized but "it's in." Non-functioning anything seems pretty self-explanatory.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
If you are using a dslr you will most likely be carrying a bag with you, so it wouldnt make more sense to cram more inside the body when you can keep it in a pocket of your bag.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Does anyone else think it is a good idea to have an extra SD slot on a camera for a spare memory card? Doesnt have to be functional, just hold the card. Just a thought

Most people carry the camera inside a bag, those almost always hold extra memory cards for you. So no it isn't really that good of an idea.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you ever get a chance to open a DSLR and look inside you will be amazed to see how tight everything is packed in their already. Some of the larger bodies have two functional card slots which provides some benefit (can do jpg on one card, raw on the other for instance), but space is at a huge premium. If people don't have enough room to carry a spare card, it is unlikely they will bother carrying a DSLR. If size is really important, nothing beats a PnS.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

How often do you change cards? It takes me a long time to fill up one and need to swap. So if there were a spare in the camera I'd save what? about 3 seconds twice a day.

I think there was a camera (forgot which it was) that took both SD and CF cards. Different reason for having two slots.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I think there was a camera (forgot which it was) that took both SD and CF cards. Different reason for having two slots.

my Fuji FinePix S602 takes smartmedia in one slot and CFII/Microdrives in the other slot. This was from around 2003 so they may have done both to cover bases in case one format took off more than the other etc.

If I was going to get a camera with a 2nd slot, I would want it to be active like it is on the Canon 1D models etc, if it isnt active it really is just a waste, especially with 8GB & 16GB cards etc on the market and the fact that weight & size wise they are really nothing to carry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.