Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misssunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
What is an acceptable range for my aluminium macbook CPU temp? Is 80 degrees celsius and above considered too high? When i play games, it sometimes reach 85 degrees celsius. Is it normal? Thank you! :)

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I hope you're both reporting temperatures in Fahrenheit, and accidentally using Celcius.

Apple's suggested normal operating range is for the aluminuim MB/P line (13, 15, and 17 inch):
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
(from this page, under tech specs)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I hope you're both reporting temperatures in Fahrenheit, and accidentally using Celcius.

Apple's suggested normal operating range is for the aluminuim MB/P line (13, 15, and 17 inch):

That means operating temperature as in ambient temperature, not the CPU diode temperature.

misssunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009

Nope, I'm reporting temperatures in Celcius. :) So i guess its nothing over 90 degrees celcius?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Nope, I'm reporting temperatures in Celcius. :) So i guess its nothing over 90 degrees celcius?

The CPU is rated to a maximum core temperature of 105*C, but I've never been able to push my UMB past 89C or so even under heavy video encoding as the fan really starts to scream.

i have Fan Control installed and have it set to max fan speed at 70°C. My CPU rarely gets above that, while encoding it will get just above that but nowhere near the 90° that people are reporting.

My base fan speed is 1100 rpm and that is held till the CPU gets to 55°C. Just running safari, mail and messenger currently i have a cpu temp of 43°C

The apple default fan speed curve is set for quietness rather than coolness, I think that unless you are doing heavy work like encoding or gaming then your temps arent going to get higher than 55°C anyway and my profile works silently for most of the time.

Its better to keep the cpu cool rather than hot as it will prolong the life of it and the surrounding components.

Im about to install coolbook so hopefully my temps will go down more and battery life go up.

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago

those are the recommended temps for the room you are in. not the temps of the computer.
my UB macbook runs at an average of 150 to 160 degrees fahrenheit.

wbe858

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
On my UMBP under light browsing some music its 58 degrees and if it gets hotter the fans rev up never seen it above 90. However my mini is a different story if i start encoding that thing gets up to 90 and the fans wont rev up till its closer to 100. I ended up installing smcfancontrol and put the min fan speed at 3000 from 1500 now it never gets about 70 no matter what i do to it.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I have a uMB and I keep my minimum fan speed at 3000rpm with smcfancontrol. I can't stand having a hot laptop while typing so I always have to adjust the fans to keep it cool. With the minimum fan speed at 3000, my normal temp (firefox, thunderbird, and itunes running; sometimes other miscellaneous programs), is around 120-130 degrees fahrenheit.

I have a uMB and I keep my minimum fan speed at 3000rpm with smcfancontrol. I can't stand having a hot laptop while typing so I always have to adjust the fans to keep it cool. With the minimum fan speed at 3000, my normal temp (firefox, thunderbird, and itunes running; sometimes other miscellaneous programs), is around 120-130 degrees fahrenheit.

Whats the point? i have mine at 1100rpm and it runs just as cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.