PDA

View Full Version : Mod a Ti or deal with the ALU?

Grokgod
Jun 4, 2004, 12:34 AM
MOd a Ti PB by disconnecting its fan!>? Good Idea?

OK, i got a new Powerbook ALu 1.5, man its is WAY TOO hot to use!~
This isnt a laptop its a bunson burner! < is that how to spell it? >

I have my older Ti 1 giger, its still good but the fan noise has been bugging me. Correct that, driving me crazy not that it's a long drive but I wanted to stay in!

So, its a trade off, the quieter, speedier ALU and a ton of heat, bypassed with an external keyboard, and mouse. With perhaps a new cinema display down the line. But isnt this a POWERMAC config?

OR, I open up the Ti and disconnect the fan! ANyone ever do this?

Or do i sell the ALu and get a new powermac..

I need some freakin help! :D

reaper
Jun 4, 2004, 01:24 AM
It seems to me that any laptop Apple puts out in the next decade or so is probably going to able to double as a griddle, so I would say ditch the PB and go for the powermac. It'll be quieter than the old Ti and a whole heck of a lot quicker. I'd wait until WWDC tho... just my thoughts, for what they're worth.

- reaper

Gherkin
Jun 4, 2004, 02:19 AM
Um if you really think that your Powerbook is too hot to use, there is definitely something wrong with it and you should look into getting it fixed or replaced by Apple.

beefcake
Jun 4, 2004, 02:27 AM
I saw "Mod a Ti" and was immediately interested in this thread. Just to make sure, there's no way to increase the speed of a Ti aside from buying RAM and updating the OS?

7on
Jun 4, 2004, 11:20 AM
lol, mod a TI

anyhoo, on the Apple discussions someone said that purchasing a Sunon fan as opposed to the Superred that shipped quieted it up a bit.

URL (http://powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/customer/product.php?productid=16444&cat=0&page=1)

Currently out of stock on that page, but it gives you a hint at what to look for. I haven't done it as my TI is still under warranty. But I may ask the St.L apple Store about it eventually. I think I'll be in St.L in like 2 weeks or so.

cubist
Jun 4, 2004, 11:52 AM
Yes, I was going to say, DON'T disconnect the fan. (1) try cleaning it; it may have dust on it making it buzz. (2) replace the fan with a quieter model. BTW some of the noise of a Tibook comes from the CD drive sometimes.

Grokgod
Jun 4, 2004, 12:23 PM
Change the fan! I love it...

Has anyone seen a mod page where it tells you how to take the Ti apart?

My Ti is over warrenty and its time to MOD it!

Ohhh this reminds me of my Pcheese days when I had to go ito the case.

Yes, I am starting to think that the cooler powerbook days are over and need to cross into the powermac world, but i lve portability, thats a main issue.

As for getting it fixed, i can hear APPLE NOW,

"This is working within parameters, get lost! " LOL

Don't others with the ALu have the same problems , especially the tingling
from the hot case, is it electrical or is merely the case conducting heat that is causing it.

windowsblowsass
Jun 4, 2004, 02:57 PM
Change the fan! I love it...

Has anyone seen a mod page where it tells you how to take the Ti apart?

My Ti is over warrenty and its time to MOD it!

Ohhh this reminds me of my Pcheese days when I had to go ito the case.

Yes, I am starting to think that the cooler powerbook days are over and need to cross into the powermac world, but i lve portability, thats a main issue.

As for getting it fixed, i can hear APPLE NOW,

"This is working within parameters, get lost! " LOL

Don't others with the ALu have the same problems , especially the tingling
from the hot case, is it electrical or is merely the case conducting heat that is causing it.
ive heard stories of alu books shocking people and it was repaired by apple idk if this helps t all

leftbanke7
Jun 4, 2004, 03:10 PM
lol, mod a TI

anyhoo, on the Apple discussions someone said that purchasing a Sunon fan as opposed to the Superred that shipped quieted it up a bit.

URL (http://powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/customer/product.php?productid=16444&cat=0&page=1)

Currently out of stock on that page, but it gives you a hint at what to look for. I haven't done it as my TI is still under warranty. But I may ask the St.L apple Store about it eventually. I think I'll be in St.L in like 2 weeks or so.

In my previous job, we used Sunon fans in the Linux Server Units we were building and getting a constant supply of fans from them was a hit or miss proposition. It doesn't surprise me that they are out of stock. The customs issues we dealt with were insane.

However, they were pretty quiet and fairly powerful fans so if you can manage to get a hold of one, I say go for it.

parrothead
Jun 4, 2004, 03:57 PM
My gut says to disconnect the fan would be a very bad idea. As far as putting a different one in, that would be a far better idea. A few times my old tibook was used in such a way that the fan was blocked and the thing got so hot I almost burned myself on it. :eek:

Grokgod
Jun 4, 2004, 04:35 PM
Replacing the fan is now a must!
So shall it be done...

I am going to order the book that has the manual and some tools.
i cant wait to take this baby apart! LOL

Insert evil laugh, <HERE>

I contacted Apple about my powerbook and they said that it didnt sound like it was working properly, this is the ALU.
So it is shipped off next week..

I think I will start a thread related to this,,it could be interesting

Counterfit
Jun 4, 2004, 09:15 PM
Before you make a decision, grab ThermographX (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20905) and let it run for a while. Then post a picture of the long term graph. Mine usually runs about 130F while on my desk, and <118F while on my lap. 118 is about as much as I can take without needing to make sure I have some clothing between my lap and the PB.

titaniumducky
Jun 4, 2004, 09:46 PM
Didn't you have another post about calling Apple and finding out you probably had a problem?