PDA

View Full Version : My PBook can't detect wireless networks my friend's PC notebooks can -- what gives?

Ryvius
Jun 4, 2004, 04:43 AM
Just got my brand new Powerbook. Figured I'd go to campus, try out this wireless connection and do my homework amongst the peoples of my university instead of my room (aka eternal prision). Problem is I can't even detect a connection.

My friend's PC can do it, but Apple's internet connection program can't pick up anything. It can pick up my home wireless connection supplied by my Extreme Basestation. But nothing else.

Any clues as to what could be wrong? Are there any programs that can detect signals better than Apple's?

cahillj
Jun 4, 2004, 05:31 AM
Powerbooks don't have the best wireless reception, the case shields the signal. Try downloading MacStumbler from http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14746
This is a WiFi sniffer program that tells you all the AP's that are available and the signal strength.
good luck

tomf87
Jun 4, 2004, 07:27 AM
You might try putting on that latest Aiport Extreme driver from last night. The version is 3.4.2 and it fixed my wireless woes of dropping signals and what not.

7on
Jun 4, 2004, 11:14 AM
My campus uses MAC address filtering so you can't see the networks unless you've registered your MAC address with the campus. You might look into that. The ALs pick up about 90% of the reception so I hear, as opposed with the TIs and 70% grrrrrr.

titaniumducky
Jun 4, 2004, 09:52 PM
My campus uses MAC address filtering so you can't see the networks unless you've registered your MAC address with the campus. You might look into that. The ALs pick up about 90% of the reception so I hear, as opposed with the TIs and 70% grrrrrr.

My Ti gets perfect reception through walls, cement, etc.

7on
Jun 4, 2004, 11:10 PM
it's more of a distance thing

A Powerbook at 7 ft will get the reception of an iBook at 10 ft or something like that.

saabmp3
Jun 4, 2004, 11:17 PM
Most laptops should get all the same (100%) at 7 or 10 feet. It might start to make a difference at 70 to 100 feet.

BEN

Godfather
Jun 5, 2004, 04:18 PM
hrm that makes no sence... The case is the bad factor. So even @ a distance of 2 feet there should be a weaker signal... Yes I know, still 4 bars. But 4 bars ? 100%. The PB just has a weaker signal due to the case, no matter the distance.