Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nothvice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Hello. I am currently learning C++ and need to now how to configure Xcode to run very simple C++ programs. I'm not doing any GUI stuff right now, just command line stuff. I have tried to configure it myself, but every time I create a new project it adds all these extra files that I assume is for GUI stuff. When it adds all the extra files, I can't get my simple programs to work.

Thanks.

jinksys

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Saint Louis, Mo
If you are developing a program that doesn't have a gui, it might be helpful to go into preferences->debugging and set "On Start:" to "Show Console."

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Hello. I am currently learning C++ and need to now how to configure Xcode to run very simple C++ programs. I'm not doing any GUI stuff right now, just command line stuff. I have tried to configure it myself, but every time I create a new project it adds all these extra files that I assume is for GUI stuff. When it adds all the extra files, I can't get my simple programs to work.

Thanks.

What template are you using? If you choose the command line tool for C++ then it will give you what you need. I only have the seeding version in front of me, so I can't give you the exact name of the template you need, but it is there.

nothvice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks for all the tips! I'm where I need to be. BTW, I was using the Carbon C++ template before.

A quick question though. Is there a way to define custom code snippets? I have a comment header that needs to be in the top of each of my programs, but the ones Xcode has built-in are exactly what I need.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.