PDA

View Full Version : Safari 4.0.2

ColinM
Jul 8, 2009, 03:51 PM
Just checked Software Update and it was on there. 28.1 MB.

Notes are...

This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves the stability of the Nitro JavaScript engine and includes the latest compatibility and security fixes.

For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit this site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Hope this helps. I'm sick of being crashed on.

Tarek
Jul 8, 2009, 04:01 PM
Thank you. I've updated to 4.0.2 last night and it is pretty awesome; much better than the older Safari, especially in appearance.

Tallest Skil
Jul 8, 2009, 04:02 PM
Thank you. I've updated to 4.0.2 last night and it is pretty awesome; much better than the older Safari, especially in appearance.

Appearance? What's different?

Morod
Jul 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
I just updated to 4.0.2. I see no difference in the browser. The update was 40.2MB.

MacRumors
Jul 8, 2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/08/apple-releases-safari-4-0-2/)

Apple today released Safari 4.0.2, now available on Apple's Safari download page (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/) or through Software Update. According to the support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3666) associated with the release, the update addresses two security vulnerabilities that could be exploited by maliciously crafted websites. The update also reportedly improves the stability of the Nitro JavaScript engine used by Safari.

The first vulnerability addressed permits websites to deploy cross-site attacks.An issue in WebKit's handling of the parent and top objects may result in a cross-site scripting attack when visiting a maliciously crafted website. This update addresses the issue through improved handling of parent and top objects.The second vulnerability permits arbitrary code execution when visiting certain maliciously-crafted websites.A memory corruption issue exists in WebKit's handling of numeric character references. Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through improved handling of numeric character references. Credit to Chris Evans for reporting this issue.Safari 4.0.2 is available for OS X Leopard, OS X Tiger, and Windows (XP and Vista).

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 4.0.2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/08/apple-releases-safari-4-0-2/)

rdowns
Jul 8, 2009, 04:12 PM
Installed and all is good in the world. Not quite sure how I feel about the new purple theme.

ahuman7341
Jul 8, 2009, 04:13 PM
But does it put the tabs back on the top? I'm not leaving the beta until I can get that.

stevenlangley1
Jul 8, 2009, 04:13 PM
i can only hope it solves the crashing issues ive had...:mad:

MikhailT
Jul 8, 2009, 04:15 PM
Guess it's Leopard only as nothing is reported for SL.

Maclver
Jul 8, 2009, 04:16 PM
Guess it's Leopard only as nothing is reported for SL.

Im on snow leopard and when I downloaded it... and tried to install it said I can't because 10.5.8 is required
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256/OSXnerd/Screenshoton2009-07-08at41009PM.png

jav6454
Jul 8, 2009, 04:17 PM
Im on snow leopard and when I downloaded it... and tried to install it said I can't because 10.5.8 is required

... img snip ...

A bug perhaps?

ksmith80209
Jul 8, 2009, 04:19 PM
Interesting. I had been noticing that malformed (my own) javascript caused Safari to crash every time. Maybe this will fix that issue. Or I could learn to code a bit better.

malohkan
Jul 8, 2009, 04:20 PM
It's telling me to reboot after installation. But... it's a browser update! Jeez I feel like we've had to reboot for the last 4 or 5 minor updates. Not even Windows made us reboot for every IE update. How strange.

dwright1974
Jul 8, 2009, 04:21 PM
But does it put the tabs back on the top? I'm not leaving the beta until I can get that.

I thought I was the only one who liked the 'Tabs on Top'.

I've searched and searched but doesn't appear to be a way to enable that, which is a shame!

Downloading and will take a look once installed!

- D

IBradMac
Jul 8, 2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the reminder...I just reinstalled last night and realized I needed this update.

MikhailT
Jul 8, 2009, 04:23 PM
It's telling me to reboot after installation. But... it's a browser update! Jeez I feel like we've had to reboot for the last 4 or 5 minor updates. Not even Windows made us reboot for every IE update. How strange.

It update the frameworks that is used by many other applications, so to make sure every app is working fine, the update is required.

Beric
Jul 8, 2009, 04:27 PM
I too still have the beta. No tabs on top, no deal.

fastbite
Jul 8, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah! rebooting?! I mean -- forget water-boarding... but rebooting?!!! That's it! I'm out!!! You m***** ********** I ain't rebooting sh**t!!!

Tarek
Jul 8, 2009, 04:28 PM
Appearance? What's different?

The "loading" tab next to the address bar looks really cool. As well as the Top Sites thing - I'm not sure if it existed before but I've never seen it on the older Safari.

Tallest Skil
Jul 8, 2009, 04:31 PM

You won't be leaving the beta, then.

Meek Wriggle
Jul 8, 2009, 04:34 PM
Installed and all is good in the world. Not quite sure how I feel about the new purple theme.

Purple theme? I'm not seeing any purple.

Morod
Jul 8, 2009, 04:39 PM
The "loading" tab next to the address bar looks really cool. As well as the Top Sites thing - I'm not sure if it existed before but I've never seen it on the older Safari.

Tarek:
Those features were introduced with Safari 4.
I believe this most recent update, to 4.0.2, just came out today. I don't think you downloaded it last night. You might try running Software Update to make sure you have the most recent version. Or, with Safari open, in the menu bar click Safari>About Safari and verify you are running 4.0.2.
Morod

Kroghen
Jul 8, 2009, 04:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

Had a weird problem after install... My MacBook Pro unibody wouldn't boot afterwards. It came to the grey screen and them just kept flashing a picture of a folder with an arrow in it.
Has anybody had the same problem, and know what it means?

Jul 8, 2009, 04:40 PM

I've discovered that the crashes I was having were caused by outdated plugins or input managers...check them out yourself. Once this was solved, Safari became crash-free again.

NinjaHERO
Jul 8, 2009, 05:06 PM
Cool, I like updates. Even if I have no idea what they fix. :D

jon08
Jul 8, 2009, 05:07 PM

Geez, how on earth can you actually like the stupid and pretty much useless "Loading" bar, when the old blue bar was so much better looking and it actually served its purpose in informing you about the loading progress!

TooFastForLove
Jul 8, 2009, 05:09 PM
My Bluetooth preferences are now hidden after doing this update / restarting. My mouse and keyboard don't work now.

Wonderful.

UPDATE: It's telling me I don't have a Bluetooth module installed. What the hell is this??!?! I've been using my Apple BT keyboard / mouse for 2 years!!

Stridder44
Jul 8, 2009, 05:09 PM
It's telling me to reboot after installation. But... it's a browser update! Jeez I feel like we've had to reboot for the last 4 or 5 minor updates.

WHAT!? How dare they! My God you poor thing you have to restart your computer.

MacManiac76
Jul 8, 2009, 05:18 PM
Everything seems to be working great for me after the update, same as before. As long as nothing is broken in the process, I'm all for updates...especially security related ones. ;)

smartalic34
Jul 8, 2009, 05:30 PM
I really hope this improves Safari's stability... I've had way more crashes with Safari 4 than I ever did with Safari 3:(

elppa
Jul 8, 2009, 05:37 PM
It update the frameworks that is used by many other applications, so to make sure every app is working fine, the update is required.

Correct, on Windows Safari is “just a browser” (hence no restart) on Mac OS X and iPhone OS it is a system wide framework.

Is it just my eyesight, or have the close/minimise/maximise widgets been tweaked again in Snow Leopard.

Purple theme? I'm not seeing any purple.
Mine is orange.

freesonwang
Jul 8, 2009, 05:41 PM
Sigh...just when Safari was good enough for me to use it (Glims and SafariBlock), they take out that cool in-URL progress bar. I still really miss it.

Does anyone have any remote reason why a loading button would be better than a progress bar? I was thinking it might up some kind of performance of the browser, but I think most people would sacrifice a microsecond of performance for the progress bar back. Besides, with a progress bar (and how human psychology works) the browser felt faster.

Meh.

Marcus263
Jul 8, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure if this was there before, but Top Sites Zooms In and Out when you click on the button respectively.

UngratefulNinja
Jul 8, 2009, 05:57 PM
I can't tell one bit of difference.

cosmokanga2
Jul 8, 2009, 06:04 PM
Mine is orange.

Glad I'm not the only one. I thought my eyesight was wreaked. :D

MacAndy74
Jul 8, 2009, 06:07 PM
Just updated. Safari 4.0.2 just as fast as before :cool:

donwlarson
Jul 8, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ever since 4.0.1 and now also 4.0.2, Safari won't open a local web page on my hard drive if the extension is .cfm. If I change the extension, to .htm, it will open.

Safari creates a blank page and opens a Finder window to display the local .cfm file. I then am forced to use another browser like Firefox, just to open a local file with that .cfm extension.

This used to work even up to the Safari 4.0 beta.

I previously posted this issue on the Apple Discussion site, but no answer there that works.

I sent a bug report to Apple when this problem first appeared, but it is not fixed yet. :(

windywoo
Jul 8, 2009, 06:16 PM
4.03 will have the tabs back on top I'm sure of it.

AlexH
Jul 8, 2009, 06:16 PM
Am I the only one that feels a restart should not be necessary for a browser update?

rdowns
Jul 8, 2009, 06:18 PM
Am I the only one that feels a restart should not be necessary for a browser update?

No.

Must we have these same discussions every time?

VinitaBoy
Jul 8, 2009, 06:23 PM
"I've discovered that the crashes I was having were caused by outdated plugins or input managers . . . ."

You're right on, BRL. Every time I read these infantile "Safari is so-o-o-o-o unstable and crashy . . ." posts I know for a fact that one or more plugins are the culprits. If the people who created these cute little add-ons would simply join the ADG (Apple Developers Group)--and thereby work with the latest and greatest builds--99.99% of such erroneous reports would disappear overnight.

I've never had Safari crash on my four Macs. Not once. But, then again, I don't "do" third-party plugins/add-ons from untrained and uncertified amateur developers.

I'm just sayin' . . . .

smartalic34
Jul 8, 2009, 06:25 PM
Geez, how on earth can you actually like the stupid and pretty much useless "Loading" bar, when the old blue bar was so much better looking and it actually served its purpose in informing you about the loading progress!

my biggest issue with the loading bar is that it relocated the Stop/Refresh button. no longer is it a nice large target next to the forward/back buttons but a tiny little thing tucked into the corner of the address bar. it's annoying having to reprogram my muscle memory... yes I know there are keyboard shortcuts, and I use them. but it's nice having the other option be convenient

brasscat
Jul 8, 2009, 06:27 PM
yeah, weird purple metallic look - i wonder if this is a hint of what snow leopard will look like .. i like the reflections with the tabs.

Tallest Skil
Jul 8, 2009, 06:28 PM
yeah, weird purple metallic look - i wonder if this is a hint of what snow leopard will look like .. i like the reflections with the tabs.

What purple? There's no purple anywhere.

ri0ku
Jul 8, 2009, 06:29 PM
I see no colour/theme changes what so ever, have people gone loopy?

sososowhat
Jul 8, 2009, 06:36 PM
F5 is still broken as a shortcut key (I use F5 and F6 to make text smaller & bigger). It worked in the Safari 4 Beta, but not since. F6 works fine (as do the defaults command-"+" and "-". I was really hoping this would be fixed!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2068702

Jayomat
Jul 8, 2009, 06:42 PM
so this news has become promoted to page1, okay... ;)

iPhoneNYC
Thanks. Installed in less than a minute. Requires restart. Works fine. Haven't noticed much difference.

insocal
Can we PLEASE get the blue progress bar back? Is there some kind of TERMINAL COMMAND you can enter to get it back?

I don't know why they'd take away something so MAC and make it look so PC now.

Half the time, I don't even know if the page is loading or refreshing because the blue bar isn't there.

:(

Ultimatetone
Jul 8, 2009, 06:44 PM
Correct, on Windows Safari is “just a browser” (hence no restart)
on Mac OS X and iPhone OS it is a system wide framework.

So......should we expect an iPhone Safari update, too?

(or will this be part of an iPhone OS 3.xx update?)

Ultimatetone

WestonHarvey1
Jul 8, 2009, 06:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

Had a weird problem after install... My MacBook Pro unibody wouldn't boot afterwards. It came to the grey screen and them just kept flashing a picture of a folder with an arrow in it.
Has anybody had the same problem, and know what it means?

This happens to me sometimes on my old MBP after an update... restarting it has always made it go away. The tech articles on apple.com don't really explain why it happens. I just shrug my shoulders and assume it is a harmless glitch when it happens.

bleachthru
Jul 8, 2009, 06:51 PM
my biggest issue with the loading bar is that it relocated the Stop/Refresh button. no longer is it a nice large target next to the forward/back buttons but a tiny little thing tucked into the corner of the address bar. it's annoying having to reprogram my muscle memory... yes I know there are keyboard shortcuts, and I use them. but it's nice having the other option be convenient

I am with you 100% on this one! I am fine with apple adding some gimmicky loading bar, whatever. I just wish that in the tool bar customization tab, we still had the ability to add our own stop/reload button, and to be able to add it wherever we want on the toolbar!

Call me crazy, but to me it is much more efficient to have the stop/reload button located right next to the forward and back buttons... I hate having to move my mouse constantly back and forth across the screen. Also I wish we still had the ability to remove the "add bookmark button" as it is now permanently attached to the url window. Again, I am fine with whatever new features apple wants to add to make it "more shiny" and attractive to new users, but please do not take away the user customization that has been there in every version of Safari up until now.

Macmoney
Jul 8, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'm very close to dropping Safari all together:mad:Sites with animated gifs cause my system to slow to a horrible crawl. Checked My istat pro stats and
my processor activity was off the charts! Safari crashes unexpecteldy alot to.
One last chance and Im dumping this browser. This is unacceptable for a browser that is toted as the fastest pound per pound.

Firefox does not do that!

chrisgeleven
Jul 8, 2009, 07:17 PM

Smart policy, using a beta browser that will no longer get security updates or rendering improvements. Don't go crying to us if your computer gets hacked, just because you wouldn't part with tabs being on top.

PMR
Jul 8, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm very close to dropping Safari all together:mad:Sites with animated gifs cause my system to slow to a horrible crawl. Checked My istat pro stats and
my processor activity was off the charts! Safari crashes unexpecteldy alot to.
One last chance and Im dumping this browser. This is unacceptable for a browser that is toted as the fastest pound per pound.

Firefox does not do that!

I'm tired of that too. I've sent half a dozen bug reports to Apple since 4 beta and nothing. It's getting really embarrassing not being able to handle some animated gifs. Best browser my ass.

sjc83
Jul 8, 2009, 07:20 PM
Updated good to go...

gavin83209
Jul 8, 2009, 07:21 PM
What purple?

martynmc7
Jul 8, 2009, 07:42 PM
Damn, this update doesn't seemed to have fixed the weird colour-scrolling behaviour I get. Anyone else find colours changing on web pages whilst scrolling? It's most noticeable on here: http://www.llewtube.com/ where all the black and white checks in the background turn blue whilst I'm scrolling. Not a system-wide problem as Firefox doesn't do this whilst scrolling.

martynmc7
Jul 8, 2009, 07:44 PM
Wait...scratch that, it happens on Firefox as well...an issue with the 9400? I have a MacBook Pro 13" updated to the recent firmware.

nozebleed
Jul 8, 2009, 07:47 PM
Anyone know of any "maliciously crafted websites"? are they talking about like, gingergenerator.com?

LCPGUY
Jul 8, 2009, 07:59 PM

Folks, the reason it has to be restarted is because it is replacing WebKIT system wide. For instance, Mail relies on WebKIT and things would go bonkers with two versions active at the same time.

mrobmsu
Jul 8, 2009, 08:30 PM
"I've discovered that the crashes I was having were caused by outdated plugins or input managers . . . ."

You're right on, BRL. Every time I read these infantile "Safari is so-o-o-o-o unstable and crashy . . ." posts I know for a fact that one or more plugins are the culprits. If the people who created these cute little add-ons would simply join the ADG (Apple Developers Group)--and thereby work with the latest and greatest builds--99.99% of such erroneous reports would disappear overnight.

I've never had Safari crash on my four Macs. Not once. But, then again, I don't "do" third-party plugins/add-ons from untrained and uncertified amateur developers.

I'm just sayin' . . . .

I have 0 plugins or addons, and Safari crashes on my MBP fairly often.

MacManiac76
Jul 8, 2009, 08:32 PM

I'm totally with you on this. The new UI (progress indicator, refresh button) is going backwards as far as user interactivity goes.

mrkgoo
Jul 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
. Also I wish we still had the ability to remove the "add bookmark button" as it is now permanently attached to the url window.

http://i31.tinypic.com/28vdhk6.png

iMaggot
Jul 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
I really hope this improves Safari's stability... I've had way more crashes with Safari 4 than I ever did with Safari 3:(

Yeah i agree, and the new FF is crashing allot on me as well:mad:

DELLsFan
Jul 8, 2009, 08:43 PM

I'm totally with you on this. The new UI (progress indicator, refresh button) is going backwards as far as user interactivity goes.

+1

I loved the old blue progress bar inside the address field.

WickedRabbit
Jul 8, 2009, 08:44 PM

I stopped using Safari arguably for this same reason. It's been crashing a few times away every week since Safari 4 went out of beta (ironically, didn't crash during beta). Plus, after comparing it in speed on my iMac for loading websites against Firefox 3.5, Firefox was beating Safari 4 for me by a pretty good amount of time so I decided to just go back to using Firefox like I use to. Those issues plus I hated the way Safari lacks being able to view picture properties via right clicking and a host of other things.

Sorry Safari, you're good, but you've got a long way to go before you catch up to the mighty Firefox in a lot of areas.

Firefox should steal the way Safari handles RSS feeds though. I like being able to see a little number counter next to the site name instead of the huge drop down list that Firefox gives.

Matthew Yohe
Jul 8, 2009, 08:55 PM
+1

Actually it isn't. Please inform us how you think it is.

(Loading web pages is non linear, so the blue bar was always a "guess" anyway)

DELLsFan
Jul 8, 2009, 09:03 PM
Actually it isn't. Please inform us how you think it is...

For me, as I see more of the blue bar loading in the URL field, I THINK I am able to discern more about the status of the page being loaded and am better poised to "interact" with my browser than with a spinning wheel animation.

Matthew Yohe
Jul 8, 2009, 09:14 PM
For me, as I see more of the blue bar loading in the URL field, I THINK I am able to discern more about the status of the page being loaded and am better poised to "interact" with my browser than with a spinning wheel animation.

Right, but the question is why are you staring at the spinning cog? You can't look at a page before it is finished?

This is why the new method is brilliant.

A page load in Safari 4 looks like this:
1) Safari downloads content from the network, and you get the blue "Loading..." box.

2) Safari has now downloaded enough images, HTML, CSS etc to begin displaying the page, so it does so, and then fades the Loading... box to grey

*** This is where your eyes should stop looking at the loading box/spinning wheel, and begin looking at the page ***

3) The page continues to load, and literally becomes the 'progress bar' for the site.

4) Safari finishes downloading, and displays the entire page, of which you are already looking at.

Now, why would you wait till step 4 before you even start looking at the page?

twoodcc
Jul 8, 2009, 09:21 PM
i'll have to install this soon

castlema
Jul 8, 2009, 09:24 PM
I am sure that 4.0.2 has many wonderful improvements but I have seen nothing about SnapBack returning to the address bar. Everyone has something that is a deal breaker, this one is mine.

techpr
Jul 8, 2009, 09:36 PM
I too still have the beta. No tabs on top, no deal.

So you guys prefer the Tabs on Top instead of Security fixes and Stability.

:D

chelsel
Jul 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
Damn, this update doesn't seemed to have fixed the weird colour-scrolling behaviour I get. Anyone else find colours changing on web pages whilst scrolling? It's most noticeable on here: http://www.llewtube.com/ where all the black and white checks in the background turn blue whilst I'm scrolling. Not a system-wide problem as Firefox doesn't do this whilst scrolling.

Happening to me on almost all sites, including macrumors with Safari 4.02 and a 2009 MP w/ NVidia GT120

smartalic34
Jul 8, 2009, 10:05 PM
what is this purple business people are mentioning?

MacManiac76
Jul 8, 2009, 10:18 PM
Right, but the question is why are you staring at the spinning cog? You can't look at a page before it is finished?

1) Safari downloads content from the network, and you get the blue "Loading..." box.

2) Safari has now downloaded enough images, HTML, CSS etc to begin displaying the page, so it does so, and then fades the Loading... box to grey

*** This is where your eyes should stop looking at the loading box/spinning wheel, and begin looking at the page ***

3) The page continues to load, and literally becomes the 'progress bar' for the site.

4) Safari finishes downloading, and displays the entire page, of which you are already looking at.

Justify it however you want, but to me it is not intuitive at all. The blue progress bar was one of the main features that set Safari apart from all other browsers. Would you approve of a "Loading..." style progress for downloads too? I didn't think so. Essentially it's the same type of situation.

Papajohn56
Jul 8, 2009, 10:29 PM
Maliciously "crafted" lol, what a buzzword.

Dmac77
Jul 8, 2009, 10:38 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256/OSXnerd/Screenshoton2009-07-08at41009PM.png

The same thing happens to me. I don't think we'll be seeing it for awhile.

Don

Matthew Yohe
Jul 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
Would you approve of a "Loading..." style progress for downloads too? I didn't think so. Essentially it's the same type of situation.

You're missing my point. Most people don't seem understand that a website's "Loading" bar is not something that can accurately be solved for in linear time. Because of the (sometimes) hundreds of files that have to be downloaded, and several servers that need to be contacted when downloading items on a webpage, and the various speed bumps on the internet, the function of a website's transfer time and TCP packets is nonlinear.

A download of a single file, with a pretty consistent speed, of a known size, is VERY simple to accurately solve, a la the downloads progress bar.

I'm not "justifying" anything, I'm just explaining what's really going on.

Luap
Jul 8, 2009, 10:44 PM
Im not seeing any changes regarding colour either.

So.. Works fine on my intel iMac. Seems to work fine on my old faithful G4 powerbook too. Except for its using huge amounts of CPU. Occasionally it settles down to normal levels, but also, occasionally it maxes out. Something doesn't seem to be quite right with it on older PPC machines perhaps. Anyone else notice?

sladey
Jul 8, 2009, 11:02 PM
Does anyone know if it fixes the pdf issue on Windows?

Obviously all's well on my Mac but since version 3 for Windows Safari crashes every time I click on a link which tries to open a pdf.

psionic001
Jul 8, 2009, 11:11 PM
Geez, some of you people need to get your eyes checked. It is clearly tangerine, not purple.
What purple?

gavin83209
Jul 8, 2009, 11:14 PM
No, honestly. What is "it?" I don't see any changes at all besides those documented.

Purple, tangerine, whatever you want to call "it." Would somebody please tell me what changed?

DCJ001
Jul 8, 2009, 11:26 PM

They will when the beta expires.

MacMuttonchops
Jul 8, 2009, 11:27 PM
No, honestly. What is "it?" I don't see any changes at all besides those documented.

Purple, tangerine, whatever you want to call "it." Would somebody please tell me what changed?

A swing and a miss!

AlexH
Jul 8, 2009, 11:35 PM
No.

Must we have these same discussions every time?
We'll stop having this discussion when restarting after a browser update is rare.

alosii
Jul 8, 2009, 11:40 PM
We'll stop having this discussion when restarting after a browser update is rare.

Again...this is not a browser update. This includes a webkit update. :o

AlexH
Jul 8, 2009, 11:47 PM
Again...this is not a browser update. This includes a webkit update. :o
I still don't want a restart! It just seems a bit much to me.

lixuelai
Jul 8, 2009, 11:49 PM
Hopefully this fixes the hangs on my MBA. Sent Apple a bazillion bug reports. They must have gotten tired of them...

insocal
Jul 9, 2009, 12:05 AM
Wait...scratch that, it happens on Firefox as well...an issue with the 9400? I have a MacBook Pro 13" updated to the recent firmware.

I noticed that too! I thought I was just tired or something and my eyes were being weird. Heading to the Genius Bar tomorrow because my battery stays at either 98% or 99% when plugged in...I'll ask about this, too!

peterdevries
Jul 9, 2009, 12:14 AM
I have 0 plugins or addons, and Safari crashes on my MBP fairly often.

I'm willing to bet that you have Flash installed. That crashes my safari on my MBP each session a few times. Take a close look at the error reports..

Besides the Flash crashes (which I'm fairly sure are attributable to Adobe) my Safari is solid as a rock and hasn't crashed once.

colourfastt
Jul 9, 2009, 12:15 AM
+1

It seems that Apple is going with a consistent theme throughout all their products: the spikey spinning circle.

mrkgoo
Jul 9, 2009, 12:15 AM

I knew it had stages to the new loading bar, but this is pretty good description. I think the grey (I never see it as blue) means it's actively transferring data (downloading images, text etc), and then goes white when rendering. Gives me an idea what is in cache.

mrkgoo
Jul 9, 2009, 12:28 AM
I noticed that too! I thought I was just tired or something and my eyes were being weird. Heading to the Genius Bar tomorrow because my battery stays at either 98% or 99% when plugged in...I'll ask about this, too!

That's normal behaviour for the charger. It's not meant to always charge to 100% to prevent constant charging. Sometimes when it charges to 100%, it will slowly drain down to 95% before charging again.

Also, you may need to calibrate your battery to let it know what is 100 and what is 0.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 9, 2009, 12:32 AM
I wish Apple would at least give us the option to put tabs back on top. The beta was so slick.

str1f3
Jul 9, 2009, 12:34 AM
It seems that Apple is going with a consistent theme throughout all their products: the spikey spinning circle.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this will be the same for Safari mobile as well in a future update.

dalvin200
Jul 9, 2009, 12:47 AM
just seen this now..
why the frig do we have to reboot for a browser update :(

come on apple!!

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 9, 2009, 12:51 AM
just seen this now..
why the frig do we have to reboot for a browser update :(

come on apple!!

This has been discussed ad nauseam. It's a webkit update and webkit is used throughout the whole OS.

sal
Jul 9, 2009, 01:07 AM
this is the update I was looking for. Ever since I updated to safari 4, i've been experiencing a lot of crashes. I swore I was going to wait for the next update to safari and if it's still buggy, I am going back to Firefox.

physicsdude1
Jul 9, 2009, 01:11 AM

Here, here!!

physicsdude1
Jul 9, 2009, 01:11 AM
I wish Apple would at least give us the option to put tabs back on top. The beta was so slick.

Ditto! Not moving out of beta till that option is back.

physicsdude1
Jul 9, 2009, 01:12 AM

I've searched and searched but doesn't appear to be a way to enable that, which is a shame!

- D

If you really want the tabs on top you can re-download the beta.

physicsdude1
Jul 9, 2009, 01:14 AM

Yeah, Apple has forced us to stick in beta. Bastards. Seriously for a company that prides itself on sleekness, I'm so surprised they reversed themselves on this one. Since when do they list to people complaining about feel (hello, 1 button mouse stuck around for forever!).

Oh well. Beta it is.

physicsdude1
Jul 9, 2009, 01:15 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

bed
Jul 9, 2009, 01:46 AM
Geez, some of you people need to get your eyes checked. It is clearly tangerine, not purple.

I agree its not purple, but I'd say more peachy than tangerine.

johnny Ola
Jul 9, 2009, 01:51 AM
It still can't scroll past animated gifs without grinding to a shuddering halt. Such a nice browser otherwise, but this is a deal-breaker for me.

I'll stick with FireFox until Chrome becomes stable enough.

djellison
Jul 9, 2009, 02:39 AM
I've discovered that the crashes I was having were caused by outdated plugins or input managers...check them out yourself. .

I've never knowingly installed any addon for Safari yet it's an unstable, sluggish POS.

What do I have to do to get a browser that works. Use Firefox?

randyc
Jul 9, 2009, 02:47 AM

my gf and i know exactly what you mean! :mad:

oyebto
Jul 9, 2009, 02:58 AM
Ditto! Not moving out of beta till that option is back.

i guess more people hate the tabs being on top den the usual place ( inc me ) thats why apple switched, but y not make it an option for us users ? i am sure everyone will be happy.

jovanboi
Jul 9, 2009, 03:02 AM
I can't tell the difference between this and the previous version. It still performs below my expectations.

at&t
Jul 9, 2009, 03:42 AM
Gee, big deal. Adding a digit in the end of the version number does not make Safari less of a joke that it is.

marioman38
Jul 9, 2009, 04:03 AM
Requires 10.5.7? :(

Too lazy to upgrade from 10.5.6 and restart, I'll stick with Safari 3 for now.

IEatApples
Jul 9, 2009, 04:26 AM

Taking "lazy" to the next level! :p ;)

Hmm… yea, definitely "peachy" :cool:

… I'm glad they didn't make it pink though. ;)

… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …

And to those who are still wondering:

- If it looks like a dog, quacks like dog, smells like a dog, and flies like a dog… What is it? ;)

ogee
Jul 9, 2009, 04:28 AM

pfft, still on Mac System Software (1.0) here, why upgrade at all.

throttlemeister
Jul 9, 2009, 04:34 AM
It still can't scroll past animated gifs without grinding to a shuddering halt. Such a nice browser otherwise, but this is a deal-breaker for me.

I'll stick with FireFox until Chrome becomes stable enough.

Can you give an example page, cause I specifically looked for animated gifs and can't make halt or stutter or even spike cpu.

xUKHCx
Jul 9, 2009, 05:27 AM
Can you give an example page, cause I specifically looked for animated gifs and can't make halt or stutter or even spike cpu.

Warning can cause Safari to crash

Remove the spaces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Elastic_collision

If you scroll around the page and then go back up to the top it causes my Safari to 100% and sometimes stops responding.

DELLsFan
Jul 9, 2009, 05:35 AM

I don't wait. However, linear or not ... I prefer to know whether the page I've visited has actually finished loading (ads annoy the hell out of me .. they are often the last to finish loading in my experience). I prefer the bar in URL field method of representing this fact - over a spinning jagged wheel. YMMV.

throttlemeister
Jul 9, 2009, 05:53 AM

Remove the spaces

If you scroll around the page and then go back up to the top it causes my Safari to 100% and sometimes stops responding.

Wowsers! I thought nothing was happening, until I scrolled back to the top. Didn't like that for sure. Nothing crashed, but it was unresponsive twice for something like 10 seconds at a time. Never noticed this before, very nasty.

amok-san
Jul 9, 2009, 06:25 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/28vdhk6.png

kewl, I tried dragging the new tabs button from view->customize toolbar onto the one on the menu bar and it vanished!

j5045096
Jul 9, 2009, 06:49 AM
I never downloaded Safari 4 beta - does anybody have any screen shots of this being able to put tabs on top you're talking about?

I do wish the old blue status/loading bar would return - the little box in the right of the address bar is not an improvement...

Mr. Wonderful
Jul 9, 2009, 07:14 AM
Maliciously "crafted" lol, what a buzzword.

Safari 4. Maliciously crafted and roasted to perfection.

GoodWatch
Jul 9, 2009, 07:18 AM
But..... is it snappier? :rolleyes:

Popeye206
Jul 9, 2009, 07:35 AM
It seems like the updated Safari just plain works faster! I was getting TONS of delays out of Yahoo and now it's snappy. I love that! Good update Apple!

mabaker
Jul 9, 2009, 07:40 AM
Again I truly feel for the PPC users out there. On my Quicksilver Safari 4 got from slow to slower.

Apple truly does NOT know how to handle Flash and GIFs inside of the browser.

How come when you watch a Flash video in Opera the CPU usage is around 55% and when you watch the very same video in Safari the usage jumps to 113%?

It's sloppiness. Apple should not be about sloppiness but about quality and speed. Unfortunately Safari 4 displays litle of these two critical features.

ToM7
Jul 9, 2009, 07:41 AM
finally!!!
hope they release bug fixes & the crash issues :rolleyes:

EssentialParado
Jul 9, 2009, 07:47 AM
I hope so! :)

Very much so! Security fixes aren't a very big deal, but an additional 24 pixels of vertical browsing resolution is. :o It's always surprised me Apple ever went back.

Shasterball
Jul 9, 2009, 07:47 AM
I just updated to 4.0.2. I see no difference in the browser. The update was 40.2MB.

Same here. No difference in visual.

JayMan8081
Jul 9, 2009, 07:50 AM
Cool will be updating tonight when I get home from work.

Eidorian
Jul 9, 2009, 08:08 AM
We all loved the new features and layout back in the Safari 4 Beta. Now it's learning about all the strange bugs, plug-in problems, and persistent animation rendering overhead issues.

Is it just me or was the Beta a better build than the final and later versions?

Civic Minded
Jul 9, 2009, 08:09 AM

Remove the spaces

First off I want to thank you for pointing out this problem in a way that actually shows the problem first hand. I showed this to a couple different people who claim that animated gif files have never given them trouble, and it locked them up real quick. Some even had to force quit and that page isn't anything that complicated either. I think a lot of the crashes people are complaining about with Safari come from things just like this, maybe they just never realized what was causing it.

This is terrible on Apple's part to have let this problem go on and on like they have. I love Safari and would much prefer to use it, but I've been back to using Firefox for this one and only reason. Firefox does happen to display that wiki page beautifully I must add. Truly inexcusable IMO. :(

VintageDigital
Jul 9, 2009, 08:11 AM
Is it really that difficult to restart?

EssentialParado
Jul 9, 2009, 08:22 AM

Remove the spaces

Wow, that stopped Safari responding for a couple of minutes. Surely Apple must know about this?

coolfactor
Jul 9, 2009, 08:29 AM

Safari updates have always required a restart because they install an updated version of WebKit (the framework) into the system, which is separate, but used by Safari (the browser).

I run WebKit.app (the nightly development build of Safari) and they've started doing delta updates right within the browser itself. Rather than download the entire thing every day, they send just the bits that have changed. Updating has been so much quicker. I hope they bring delta updates to more parts of the software update process.

nkawtg72
Jul 9, 2009, 08:44 AM
Is it really that difficult to restart?

no. but it would appear as though there are some people that think they should be able to swap out spark plugs while the car is still running.

Civic Minded
Jul 9, 2009, 08:46 AM
For those of you that really like the tabs on top feature, there's a FF extension that emulates it pretty well.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12612

PMR
Jul 9, 2009, 08:51 AM
For those of you that really like the tabs on top feature, there's a FF extension that emulates it pretty well.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12612

It emulates it, but it steals viewable screen pixels; so, there's no point using it. Unless you hide the tool bar and status bar, which is stupid also... :(

Civic Minded
Jul 9, 2009, 08:54 AM
It emulates it, but it steals viewable screen pixels; so, there's no point using it. :(

Ah, well nuts. I never used the beta of Safari 4, so I didn't really know what it looked like. I just saw that one browsing around and thought I'd post it up since so many people seem to be missing that feature.

Now that you say that, it is a little chunky sized isn't it. :o

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 08:56 AM
If your browsing needs are fairly basic, you could give Stainless a spin. It has tabs on top (and uses Webkit). It also uses a new thread for every tab like Chrome does.
If you handle your bookmarks via other means (eg, delcious) and can live with a bookmarks bar (or shelf) only, it might be sufficient for you. I do not use it because it does not have address completion (yet) and because it looks too clunky. Only if I want to login with two or more different credentials to the same website just using tabs, it comes in handy (as it is the only browser able to do it).

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 08:59 AM
Safari updates have always required a restart because they install an updated version of WebKit (the framework) into the system, which is separate, but used by Safari (the browser).

I run WebKit.app (the nightly development build of Safari) and they've started doing delta updates right within the browser itself. Rather than download the entire thing every day, they send just the bits that have changed. Updating has been so much quicker. I hope they bring delta updates to more parts of the software update process.
The problem is that a lot of other parts of the OS use Webkit as well (eg, Mail). That probably makes it harder to update Webkit (the framework, not Webkit.app) without a restart. And getting security updates for the Webkit part in Mail is probably rather recommended.

PMR
Jul 9, 2009, 09:02 AM
What I'd like to see:

Aqua loading status bar,
Tabs on top again (not default, but an option at least),
Better Flash support (one core at full load to watch a crappy video is unacceptable),
A decent animated gif support (not crashing would be enough for me),
"Save tabs and quit" option.

Except for TOT, firefox has all this options...

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 09:08 AM

You might be right about animated GIFs but Flash is rendered by the Flash plugin which is written by Adobe (and before they bought them, Macromedia). The performance of Flash on the Macs sucks because it is not a priority for Adobe to improve it.

PMR
Jul 9, 2009, 09:11 AM
You might be right about animated GIFs but Flash is rendered by the Flash plugin which is written by Adobe (and before they bought them, Macromedia). The performance of Flash on the Macs suck because it is not a priority for Adobe to improve it.

Couldn't Apple lay down their hands on that plugin and sort that out? The problem is that Apple doesn't give a crap about it, so, it stays the way it is now.

lkrupp
Jul 9, 2009, 09:14 AM

"Stupid is as stupid does, Mama always says." -Forrest Gump

Yep, the stupid ones will stay on the beta forever because of a feature that was never offered in any final release of Safari, ever. :rolleyes:

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 09:14 AM
I just wish that in the tool bar customization tab, we still had the ability to add our own stop/reload button, and to be able to add it wherever we want on the toolbar!

Call me crazy, but to me it is much more efficient to have the stop/reload button located right next to the forward and back buttons... I hate having to move my mouse constantly back and forth across the screen.
Do you really need the stop button often enough? For developers, the reload button might be needed quite often.

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 09:18 AM
Couldn't Apple lay down their hands on that plugin and sort that out? The problem is that Apple doesn't give a crap about it, so, it stays the way it is now.
Couldn't Apple lay their hands on that slow Word and PowerPoint and sort them out?
Only by writing their own version, as they have done with Keynote and Pages (but compatibility is certainly not 100%).

newyorkguy
Jul 9, 2009, 09:19 AM

- D

I´d like to have them back too.:cool:

mabaker
Jul 9, 2009, 09:24 AM
You might be right about animated GIFs but Flash is rendered by the Flash plugin which is written by Adobe (and before they bought them, Macromedia). The performance of Flash on the Macs sucks because it is not a priority for Adobe to improve it.

Indeed it'S a 3rd party addon to the system, but then again how would you explain the vast difference of implementation between Safari and Opera? I bet even the Intel users see a difference there.

PMR
Jul 9, 2009, 09:25 AM
Couldn't Apple lay their hands on that slow Word and PowerPoint and sort them out?
Only by writing their own version, as they have done with Keynote and Pages (but compatibility is certainly not 100%).
Apple has the alternative for slow @ss Office. And since iWork is around, why should they solve MS Office's problems? Where's the alternative for web's standard flash? Is Apple expecting Silverlight to be the next flash?:rolleyes:

peterdevries
Jul 9, 2009, 09:28 AM

How come when you watch a Flash video in Opera the CPU usage is around 55% and when you watch the very same video in Safari the usage jumps to 113%?

It's sloppiness. Apple should not be about sloppiness but about quality and speed. Unfortunately Safari 4 displays litle of these two critical features.

I'm not trying to defend Apple here, but ever though of the possibility that the Flash Plugin for Safari is just not working optimally? How do you expect Apple to deal with that. It's Adobe that manages the Flash standard, so it's ip to them to provide working plugins that can read them properly.

finally!!!
hope they release bug fixes & the crash issues :rolleyes:

What crash issues? Are you referring to Flash related crashes (see above)? I still have to encounter any crash in Safari 3 and 4 (beta and afterwards) that are NOT attributable to Flash. My Safari is rock solid except for Flash. Haven tried that animated gif yet though, but up till now I haven't noticed any problems with others yet.

Does anyone here have crashes that are not attributable to Flash?

Lacasse
Jul 9, 2009, 09:58 AM

For SL users...I changed the OSX version in the
System/Library/Coreservices/Systemversion.plist. And it would have let me install it, but the installer indicated that my current Safari from the latest snow leopard is newer than the 4.0.2 version. We must have a higher build number?

For those who don't know how to change the "About this mac" System version...Open System/Library/Coreservices/Systemversion.plist. in a text editor and change the versions....In this example i changed from 10.6 to 10.5.8.

<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
<string>10.5.8</string>
<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>10.5.8</string> )

Jelite
Jul 9, 2009, 10:01 AM
I kept reading it as maliciously - crafty websites.

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
Indeed it'S a 3rd party addon to the system, but then again how would you explain the vast difference of implementation between Safari and Opera? I bet even the Intel users see a difference there.
There might be a difference in how a browser reacts when a plugin goes amok. At the last WWDC, it was announced that Safari would allow for tabs with plugins that have crashed to be killed without killing the whole Safari app. I don't remember whether that was part of Snow Leopard or Safari 4 in general. I also do not know whether this refers to crashes of plugins or also to plugins that seemingly 'just' use 100% of one core.
The big idea of the Google Chrome browser is exactly that, isolate a plugin to take down at most one tab.

But in general, I see no fundamental difference in Flash between Firefox/Camino on the Mac and Safari on the Mac.

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 10:11 AM
Apple has the alternative for slow @ss Office. And since iWork is around, why should they solve MS Office's problems? Where's the alternative for web's standard flash? Is Apple expecting Silverlight to be the next flash?:rolleyes:
Flash is not really a standard, it is a closed proprietary system. In the same way as Windows is not a standard, it might be predominant but it is not a standard.
And the alternative to Flash is HTML 5, of which Safari/Webkit, Mozilla and Opera have already implemented certain elements.

MotleyPete
Jul 9, 2009, 10:35 AM

It's actually purple peppered with tangerine highlights. The peachiness effect is an illusion caused by the return to brushed metal.

jpine
Jul 9, 2009, 10:48 AM

I love Safari except when it comes to PDF files. Then it's an embarrassment.

PMR
Jul 9, 2009, 11:03 AM

What do you dislike about it?

EssentialParado
Jul 9, 2009, 11:13 AM

As someone else said, Flash is nowhere near a web standard. Flash is an ugly 3rd party plugin that made websites a few years ago look 'flashy' but has been replaced by true W3C web standards in HTML5, CSS3, and CSS Animations. These are the standards Apple are supporting, and slowly websites are moving toward these too. You don't need to install a plugin as these standards are native within the browser, so it also means it runs much faster than Flash ever did.

shamino
Jul 9, 2009, 12:43 PM
And this is probably a good thing. Snow Leopard doesn't use the same WebKit or the same Safari as Leopard. You wouldn't want to replace them with Leopard versions - you would definitely lose the new features. You might also destabilize the system.

And, by running a hacked-up configuration, your Snow Leopard platform would not be useful for testing your apps (remember why Apple gave you that beta copy?) You wouldn't know if problems were because of an app bug, an OS bug or a bug you introduced by installing an unsupported WebKit release.

What purple? There's no purple anywhere.Could be a mis-calibrated display. I've found that many grays and brushed-metal effects can look purplish if the display isn't calibrated, or if it is calibrated incorrectly.

On the PC laptop I'm using now, with an external display, only the external display has a proper color profile installed (the built-in display doesn't have a profile, and it's not adjustable.) I've found that grays objects tend to take on a purplish cast when dragged to the built-in display.
I'm very close to dropping Safari all together:mad:
Welcome to the club. I only use Safari as an RSS reader, and even that is getting very aggravating (lots of hangng, resulting in force-quitting.) I've moved to Google Reader for most of my feeds, but GR doesn't support authentication keys/cookies, so I still need Safari for some of the feeds I subscribe to.
I am sure that 4.0.2 has many wonderful improvements but I have seen nothing about SnapBack returning to the address bar.
According to the original article, there should be noting but a few security patches, compared to 4.0.1.
First off I want to thank you for pointing out this problem in a way that actually shows the problem first hand. I showed this to a couple different people who claim that animated gif files have never given them trouble, and it locked them up real quick.
This is terrible on Apple's part to have let this problem go on and on like they have.
Have you sent a bug-report to Apple? They might not be aware of this problem.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Mr. Wonderful
Jul 9, 2009, 01:13 PM
Have you sent a bug-report to Apple? They might not be aware of this problem.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

They are... It's fixed in Safari 64-bit in Snow Leopard.

JohnnyLemonhead
Jul 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
Another week, another Safari update. Three weeks in a row now!

madmax_2069
Jul 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
Happening to me on almost all sites, including macrumors with Safari 4.02 and a 2009 MP w/ NVidia GT120

That just looks like a typical LCD issue to me due to the pixel response times not being fast enough to handle scrolling without blurring a bit. thats why you see the red outlines on the letters and blue and red on other things in the pic. i dont really think its a issue with safari. although i could be very wrong.

Cohiba
Jul 9, 2009, 02:41 PM

I hear ya!!! cant believe it, i'm still getting multiple crashes per day!!

Civic Minded
Jul 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
They are... It's fixed in Safari 64-bit in Snow Leopard.

Really? This would be fantastic news for me. My only gripe with Safari is how it doesn't handle animated gif files worth a flip. *fingers crossed* :)

Morod
Jul 9, 2009, 03:44 PM
there are some people that think they should be able to swap out spark plugs while the car is still running.

:eek: :D ;)
Great analogy!

manu chao
Jul 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
there are some people that think they should be able to swap out spark plugs while the car is still running.
Just change them one at a time.

optophobia
Jul 9, 2009, 04:03 PM

yup

benlangdon
Jul 9, 2009, 04:21 PM

Remove the spaces

ooooo collisions.
didn't make ff crash, ill try safari

EDIT: hahah safari crashed :p, have to love command option esc though.

windon
Jul 9, 2009, 06:06 PM
Could they put back the progress bar please please - who do we have to email - this is silly - why would they do that - it was perfect GUI - perfect mac like. Did anyone complain or maybe it was all those netscape people they hired - not a good thing unless they give them the brain cleanse.

benlangdon
Jul 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
Could they put back the progress bar please please - who do we have to email - this is silly - why would they do that - it was perfect GUI - perfect mac like. Did anyone complain or maybe it was all those netscape people they hired - not a good thing unless they give them the brain cleanse.

you can have the progress bar in firefox, i do. ;)

vanc
Jul 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
ooooo collisions.
didn't make ff crash, ill try safari

EDIT: hahah safari crashed :p, have to love command option esc though.

Tried Safari 4.0.2 on my MBP 15, it's running fine with the URL. No crash. So probably the crashes may be triggered by some incompatible plugins or mismatch configurations?

Mugwumper
Jul 9, 2009, 06:31 PM
I've held off on updating to Safari 4.x due to the comments about tabs
on the bottom and other things. And then I see the note about "new"
color schemes today.

So I went ahead today and installed 4.0 and then the 0.1 and 0.2 updates -
and I have none of these reported "problems" - ?? I still have tabs on top,
and the color hasn't changed - ?? Is this unique to me? Are the tabs on
the bottom some sort of leftover from the 4.0 beta version (which I never
installed)?

Very strange . . .

MacManiac76
Jul 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
This has been discussed ad nauseam. It's a webkit update and webkit is used throughout the whole OS.

There has to be more of a reason than this. If I install the nightly builds of WebKit and then update it through Safari, it does not require a restart. :confused:

After doing some more reading it seems that the WebKit framework and WebKit.app are not one and the same...my bad! :p

Mugwumper
Jul 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, that stopped Safari responding for a couple of minutes. Surely Apple must know about this?

So how come I don't see this behavior? I can scroll around, see all the
changing diagrams, go back to the top - no change. Are these problems
configuration-specific? I've got a 3.06GHz 24" iMac with 4GB - and this has
the 8800GS graphics with 512MB RAM.

I'm running (simultaneously) Word, Excel, iTunes, TextEdit, Mail, a cribbage
game, and Safari and Firefox. The only thing I notice is that this elastic
collision demo runs much faster and smoother on Firefox - on Safari, it
starts off smooth, then slows down, then seems to catch up, and it's faster
again. But even at its fastest, it's only about 1/5 the speed as Firefox.

Wonder what's going on?

vohdoun
Jul 9, 2009, 10:06 PM
Has there been a problem with Software Update recently? downloading seems to be so god damn slow!

It only took me two minutes to manually download this update but through software update it's saying it's going to take 3 - 4 hours...

benlangdon
Jul 9, 2009, 10:31 PM
Tried Safari 4.0.2 on my MBP 15, it's running fine with the URL. No crash. So probably the crashes may be triggered by some incompatible plugins or mismatch configurations?

i ran it on my 15 mbp also.
made sure i was actually testing 4.0.2 :p

did you actually scroll up and down after it had fully loaded?
it was fine untill it fully loaded, and i started to scroll

MacManiac76
Jul 10, 2009, 01:51 AM
I've held off on updating to Safari 4.x due to the comments about tabs
on the bottom and other things. And then I see the note about "new"
color schemes today.

So I went ahead today and installed 4.0 and then the 0.1 and 0.2 updates -
and I have none of these reported "problems" - ?? I still have tabs on top,
and the color hasn't changed - ?? Is this unique to me? Are the tabs on
the bottom some sort of leftover from the 4.0 beta version (which I never
installed)?

Very strange . . .

You don't have tabs on top. Tabs on top were where the tabs were in the titlebar (Safari 4 Beta). There are no new color schemes as some have stated. No idea what they are talking about, maybe weird display issues.

Lounge Deluxe
Jul 10, 2009, 03:02 AM
I have to say that I'm still on Safari 3.2.3 with Webkit nightly builds and I don't think I'm missing out on any new feature that Safari 4 brings.

I'm enjoying the very same (or probably better since I use Webkit nightly builds) speed enhancements of Safari 4 but with the website compatibility of Safari 3. To me web browsing is all about the websites and a feature like Top Sites is playful but useless.

Keep it simple and make it faster and safer rather than flashier, would be my request to Apple. Oh well different strokes.

IEatApples
Jul 11, 2009, 01:02 AM
There are no new color schemes as some have stated. No idea what they are talking about, maybe weird display issues.Ever heard of a joke? :rolleyes:

Hrududu
Jul 11, 2009, 01:59 AM
I don't think its already been mentioned, but 4.0.2 fixes the problems with Safari 4 on the clamshell iBook. Before, the low screen resolution was not taken into consideration, and web pages would be off centered and there was no way to scroll and see everything.

benthewraith
Jul 11, 2009, 08:11 AM
Justify it however you want, but to me it is not intuitive at all. The blue progress bar was one of the main features that set Safari apart from all other browsers. Would you approve of a "Loading..." style progress for downloads too? I didn't think so. Essentially it's the same type of situation.

You know you could always go and enable the status bar if you want more information about page loading.

neteng101
Jul 11, 2009, 08:49 AM
I did have 4.0.2 go nuts and use up all remaining CPU cycles (was using about 78% CPU)... couldn't figure out why my CPU was running so hot and the fans were going up, until I saw it was pegged thanks to Safari. Had like 2 sites open and neither page seemed to have anything at all to cause that.

macintoshtoffy
Jul 11, 2009, 09:44 AM

Am I the only person who wants to see the death penalty only for people who ask stupid questions, make stupid statements or propagate spam?

macintoshtoffy
Jul 11, 2009, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know if it fixes the pdf issue on Windows?

Obviously all's well on my Mac but since version 3 for Windows Safari crashes every time I click on a link which tries to open a pdf.

Which version of Adobe Reader do you have installed?

Heb1228
Jul 11, 2009, 03:42 PM
The purple theme took a little getting used to but I kind of like it now.

Hugh
Jul 11, 2009, 10:04 PM
I didn't like the Tabs on top of the status bar. I keep looking for them to be on the bottom like they have always been (and now too).

As for the status bar going across in stead of it just saying 'loading'. I want the status bar back. It was easy to tell if a web page stalled then it is now. Now I have to look at the bottom to see if it's doing any thing. :(

What's with this purple theme! Is it a joke or what? If not, then I want a screen shot!!!! :D

Hugh

gunraidan
Jul 12, 2009, 12:05 AM
Have they fixed Safari's issues with Gifs?

sawmaster
Jul 12, 2009, 12:35 AM
It just makes no sense why they can't at least give us a defaults write terminal command.

Ain't tweaks doing something about this?

LCPGUY
Jul 12, 2009, 12:35 AM
you can have the progress bar in firefox, i do. ;)

Yup! I like the progress bar too, that's just one reason I have switched to FF 3.5

usingpond
Jul 12, 2009, 02:31 AM
Have they fixed Safari's issues with Gifs?

YES!! Came here to post this. This is a monumental moment! Safari no longer has a heart attack with animated GIFs. This was especially infuriating; having a unibody MacBook Pro grind to a halt because of a 49kb file really sucks.

PMR
Jul 12, 2009, 06:37 AM
YES!! Came here to post this. This is a monumental moment! Safari no longer has a heart attack with animated GIFs. This was especially infuriating; having a unibody MacBook Pro grind to a halt because of a 49kb file really sucks.

Are you sure? Try this page: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/gif-thread-2-0-a-668876/index2444.html

Let the gifs load and then scroll down and up.

MacManiac76
Jul 13, 2009, 01:15 AM
Ever heard of a joke? :rolleyes:

I have, but I don't think the posts here about such color "changes" were meant as jokes. :confused:

MacManiac76
Jul 13, 2009, 01:18 AM
You know you could always go and enable the status bar if you want more information about page loading.

I have the status bar enabled. I've just stated what I feel is more functional and intuitive to me. To each his own I guess.

LCPGUY
Jul 13, 2009, 01:19 AM
Are you sure? Try this page: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/gif-thread-2-0-a-668876/index2444.html

Safari 4.02 and the latest WebKIT nightly both freeze up. So does OmniWEB. Only FF 3.5 works correctly there, for me anyway.

pondosinatra
Jul 13, 2009, 09:10 AM
no. but it would appear as though there are some people that think they should be able to swap out spark plugs while the car is still running.

I remember playing with Red Hat Linux and being absolutely blown away when I was able to do a KERNAL UPDATE without having to reboot! Fanboyz on here are the first to laugh at Windows users having to always restart for updates yet perversely are able to justify it when OS X forces them to. Sad really. :rolleyes:

jon08
Jul 13, 2009, 11:59 AM

NO, it's NOT fixed!

shamino
Jul 13, 2009, 02:57 PM
I remember playing with Red Hat Linux and being absolutely blown away when I was able to do a KERNAL UPDATE without having to reboot! Fanboyz on here are the first to laugh at Windows users having to always restart for updates yet perversely are able to justify it when OS X forces them to. Sad really. :rolleyes:
Well, an actual kernel change still requires a reboot, even on Linux. The updater doesn't make you do it immediately, but the new kernel won't be used until after you restart.

I have, however, been able to update other low-level components (like SCSI device drivers for non-boot devices, video drivers, the shared C library, etc.) without rebooting, or even logging off (although sometimes, I need to restart X11.)

And I agree with you that this is one area where all modern UNIX systems have a clear advantage over the rest of the world, including Mac OS and Windows.

On the other hand, doing things in the Linux way does require some discipline on the part of the operator. For instance, if a low-level shared library is replaced, it won't affect running applications - any app that is running at the time of the upgrade will have to be restarted in order to start using the new library. For a mainstream OS, you really can't trust customers to do this wherever necessary - forcing them to reboot avoids the problem.

vanc
Jul 13, 2009, 03:13 PM

It really sucks. Both Safari 4 and Google Chrome freeze on that page. Chrome uses the webkit core. So should we blame WebKit?

Firefox 3.5 works perfectly.

vanc
Jul 13, 2009, 03:16 PM
Well, an actual kernel change still requires a reboot, even on Linux. The updater doesn't make you do it immediately, but the new kernel won't be used until after you restart.

I have, however, been able to update other low-level components (like SCSI device drivers for non-boot devices, video drivers, the shared C library, etc.) without rebooting, or even logging off (although sometimes, I need to restart X11.)

And I agree with you that this is one area where all modern UNIX systems have a clear advantage over the rest of the world, including Mac OS and Windows.

On the other hand, doing things in the Linux way does require some discipline on the part of the operator. For instance, if a low-level shared library is replaced, it won't affect running applications - any app that is running at the time of the upgrade will have to be restarted in order to start using the new library. For a mainstream OS, you really can't trust customers to do this wherever necessary - forcing them to reboot avoids the problem.

Agreed. OS vendors need to be a bit conservative when doing OS upgrade. How often do we receive OS updates? Not much.

gunraidan
Jul 13, 2009, 10:31 PM
It really sucks. Both Safari 4 and Google Chrome freeze on that page. Chrome uses the webkit core. So should we blame WebKit?

Firefox 3.5 works perfectly.

Same with Camino. Go Mozilla!

IEatApples
Jul 15, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have, but I don't think the posts here about such color "changes" were meant as jokes. :confused:
Trust me: IT'S A JOKE!

rdowns started with the "color thing/changes" in post 6 (most likely) as a response to the previous posts about a "visual change"… there's really no such thing! It's a joke! … But by all means, feel free to insist that there is… although it can't be that hard for you to examine & discover the truth about this yourself… ;)

… I still say it's peach though! :p

liv-britt
Jul 20, 2009, 03:02 AM
Hey guys!
At first I want to say that my english is very bad so... maybe it's funny for you to read. But I've got a real big problem. My Dad has downloaded and installed Safari 4.0.2 a few weeks ago and after that his Mac is downright collapsed. When we restart the mac, it load everything. It seems to be ok at this point, but after ...i think 5 minutes... the mac stop working and just do NOTHING anymore. We've tried, for example, to quit the energie for 20min and restart it after that, but it's no use... can anybody here help us?
liv-britt

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 20, 2009, 03:21 AM
Hold the shift key when it's booting, and when you're logging in to put it in safe mode. Then verify the disk, repair permissions, check the other user accounts and check your Activity Monitor.

Mt.Everest
Jul 29, 2009, 03:30 AM
So we all want the blue progress bar back. Yeah yeah, send feedback to Apple and maybe they will bring it back (slim chance)...

Anyhow, can anyone come up with a logical reason WHY Apple would remove a feature like this? Who WOULDN'T want to see a progressive loading indicator rather than a spinning cog-wheel giving NO indication of whether a page is just not working at all or just taking extra time to load?

I mean sure, Apple is notorious for things like this - Taking away the DVD/CD eject button on the front of G5s, making useless desktop keyboards with tiny up/down/L/R arrows, taking away then re-introducing FW800.. The list goes on.

Most things I can assume are cost/profit related. But such a simple yet useful graphic being removed from Safari I cannot think of one logical reason (whether good or bad) they think its better this way.

Anyone have a guess? (Other then they just like to mess with us )

skye12
Jul 29, 2009, 01:12 PM
Righteous upgrade. One must download it to be a whole applefan.

morepower7
Jul 31, 2009, 09:50 PM
about to download right now

mrkgoo
Aug 1, 2009, 12:41 AM
So we all want the blue progress bar back. Yeah yeah, send feedback to Apple and maybe they will bring it back (slim chance)...

Anyhow, can anyone come up with a logical reason WHY Apple would remove a feature like this? Who WOULDN'T want to see a progressive loading indicator rather than a spinning cog-wheel giving NO indication of whether a page is just not working at all or just taking extra time to load?

I mean sure, Apple is notorious for things like this - Taking away the DVD/CD eject button on the front of G5s, making useless desktop keyboards with tiny up/down/L/R arrows, taking away then re-introducing FW800.. The list goes on.

Most things I can assume are cost/profit related. But such a simple yet useful graphic being removed from Safari I cannot think of one logical reason (whether good or bad) they think its better this way.

Anyone have a guess? (Other then they just like to mess with us )

Probably simplicity. And it's not that it gives NO indication. It has the dark grey box for "Downloading assets", which reduces to white for "Rendering page". At a guess.

I suppose they figure you don't need anything more than "loading"/"rendering". In a way does it really matter you know how much is left? I liked the blue bar, but I wouldn't say it was critical.

LCPGUY
Aug 1, 2009, 11:08 PM
Probably simplicity. And it's not that it gives NO indication. It has the dark grey box for "Downloading assets", which reduces to white for "Rendering page". At a guess.

I suppose they figure you don't need anything more than "loading"/"rendering". In a way does it really matter you know how much is left? I liked the blue bar, but I wouldn't say it was critical.

Everybody please just relax. If you you want the progress bar back, just do like most people, and start using FireFOX. Really simple, and a far better browser anyway.

sal
Aug 3, 2009, 03:08 AM
so far so good. Safari hasn't crashed on me since the last update.

HellasLEAF
Aug 9, 2009, 04:11 PM
hey guys, about the new safari. there is this strange new bookmark type bar with a google browser among other things. how do I get rid of it?

LCPGUY
Aug 9, 2009, 11:34 PM
hey guys, about the new safari. there is this strange new bookmark type bar with a google browser among other things. how do I get rid of it?

Just do as I have suggested before - Switch to FireFox. the "Dream" Browser.

Megaman
Aug 10, 2009, 01:01 AM
* I'm still mad that they changed the location of the reload button a while ago. In the status bar? Come on! I'm boycotting Apple for this.

* Note sarcasm

Truffy
Aug 10, 2009, 06:36 AM
Do you mean the Google search box at top right? That's 'always'* been there. Other than that, have you looked in the preferences?

* at least since v3 anyway

cretony38
Aug 11, 2009, 01:52 PM
Again I truly feel for the PPC users out there. On my Quicksilver Safari 4 got from slow to slower.

Thats tottaly my Problem (G4 Mirror door with a 24" Cinema display), are any Browsers that are better for ol PPC?

shamino
Aug 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
Thats tottaly my Problem (G4 Mirror door with a 24" Cinema display), are any Browsers that are better for ol PPC?
Firefox? I've been happily using it (including the latest 3.5.x) on my dual 1GHz QuickSilver-2002.