Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Right I am new to macro (less than 3 months) and I am still getting the hang of hunting the bugs. Sometimes i get lucky and then i need to remember how to shoot and focus etc.
Problem is that I need to shoot late in the evening say 22:00 when its still light but the bugs are slower...

so here is my latest shot, please let me know the pro and cons.. and yes i know its high iso :) its dark out there ...

Thanks
12.jpg

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
looks like just a smidgen of front focus? Also background is king of distracting.

What was your setup?

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Hi, what do you mean smidgen in the front focus?

Setup: d90, tripod, Macro 70mm lens (loaner), shot at f10, i think but had to get really close.
so you think the green is too distracting?

cheers,

/F

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Well at that distance the depth of field becomes EXTREMELY shallow then at 1:1 which is the problem I am facing for insects... if I don't push the f to 8 or 10 i can get only a very small area into focus.

//F

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I meant that you slightly focused just in front of the grasshopper. Not alot maybe 1 or 2 mm. But that's alot in macro.

If your on a tripod and there is no wind. Dial down the ISO to 100 or 200 also you probably dont need the flash either. these are personal preferences as I shoot macro on a tripod with no flash usually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.