PDA

View Full Version : Switching is dead. Long live Moving.

MacBytes
Jun 4, 2004, 08:51 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Switching is dead. Long live Moving. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040604095108)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

1macker1
Jun 4, 2004, 09:08 AM
<rant>These type of stories are starting to turn my stomach. "..My windows PC was too demanding." What the heck do that mean. If your too dumb to use a PC then don't. We dont need to hear how the Mac is a dumbed down OS. These people make it seem like Macs are for people that dont know how to use a real computer.</rant>

Mudbug
Jun 4, 2004, 09:32 AM
<rant>These type of stories are starting to turn my stomach. "..My windows PC was too demanding." What the heck do that mean. If your too dumb to use a PC then don't. We dont need to hear how the Mac is a dumbed down OS. These people make it seem like Macs are for people that dont know how to use a real computer.</rant>

whoa - calm down there junior.
He's not saying it was too demanding in a "I can't figure it out" kind of way - he's saying it's too demanding in terms of having to keep it running, and able to work flawlessly with peripherals. And he's not saying a mac is a "dumbed down version of the same" - he's saying it's a different version of the same that just works more easily.

It's not an inflammatory article at all - and to post a reply that leads someone to believe so isn't much more than just trolling.

Krizoitz
Jun 4, 2004, 10:05 AM

Why is it so unreasonable to expect a product to work? This isn't about being unable to use a PC, its about the PC not working the way it should, DLL glitches, incompatible devices, virii up the wazzu. This article doesn't paint Macs as a dumbed down OS, it paints Macs as an OS that works.

If someone was consistently having trouble with their car, and on the advice of someone else switched to a different make that didn't have those troubles would you accuse them of being to dumb to use the car? Heck no.

Whats really sad is how Bill Gates and Microsoft have managed to lower peoples expectations so far that people actually ACCEPT faulty products as the norm. So very sad. Especially when you get apologists who try and deflect the issue with tired arguments like this one.

1macker1
Jun 4, 2004, 10:13 AM
I'm not upset sonny. If that's the way you interpret the article is your opinion. If you didnt talk to this guy on the phone, it's just that, a opinion. But I have my own mind and my own opinion. And I stand ground on the rant I posted earlier.
whoa - calm down there junior.
He's not saying it was too demanding in a "I can't figure it out" kind of way - he's saying it's too demanding in terms of having to keep it running, and able to work flawlessly with peripherals. And he's not saying a mac is a "dumbed down version of the same" - he's saying it's a different version of the same that just works more easily.

It's not an inflammatory article at all - and to post a reply that leads someone to believe so isn't much more than just trolling.

1macker1
Jun 4, 2004, 10:16 AM
I own both a Mac and a PC, i've had the PC 4 years and the Mac 2. Haven't had many problems out of either, but I will say neither one of them works perfectly. It's a matter of choice and how you want to go about doing things. I've had a few BSOD and a few Kernal Attacks. Doesn't mean I accept faulty products, but I understand that some time faults will occur.
Why is it so unreasonable to expect a product to work? This isn't about being unable to use a PC, its about the PC not working the way it should, DLL glitches, incompatible devices, virii up the wazzu. This article doesn't paint Macs as a dumbed down OS, it paints Macs as an OS that works.

If someone was consistently having trouble with their car, and on the advice of someone else switched to a different make that didn't have those troubles would you accuse them of being to dumb to use the car? Heck no.

Whats really sad is how Bill Gates and Microsoft have managed to lower peoples expectations so far that people actually ACCEPT faulty products as the norm. So very sad. Especially when you get apologists who try and deflect the issue with tired arguments like this one.

radhak
Jun 4, 2004, 10:42 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Switching is dead. Long live Moving. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040604095108)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

makes a good case, but i am not convinced 'moving' instead of 'switching' is that much more easy to push. 'upgrade' might sound better, but its not just the tag that does the trick. as soon as this topic comes up, the doubts that follow, if addressed well, can create an easy convert.

personally, i am not into converting because of some missionary zeal. its just that i feel very sorry for the guy who is not too big on computers trying to get his teenaged kid's machine up and running so that s/he could finish a homework or something. That guy, more than me, needs the Mac. I am very comfortable stripping down my Wintel PC to pieces and assembling them again without a mishap. I have had my share of crashes on the Wintel, and been potentially at risk of losing data but ultimately coming out okay. But the casual user, the kids, the person for whom the machine is just a means, not an end, needs the Mac.

Taking the car analogy further, nobody recommends a car just because s/he owns it, but because s/he has had great experience with it. Somehow when it comes to personal computers, a strong suspicion of blind partisanship seems ever present. pity.

Cooknn
Jun 4, 2004, 10:50 AM
<rant>These type of stories are starting to turn my stomach. "..My windows PC was too demanding." What the heck do that mean. If your too dumb to use a PC then don't. We dont need to hear how the Mac is a dumbed down OS. These people make it seem like Macs are for people that dont know how to use a real computer.</rant>I spend more time than I should attempting to remove crapware and viruses off all the PC's under my watch. Doesn't matter how much I talk to these people they don't get it. They don't know how to use a real computer IMHO. You can install Norton, Spybot or whatever else is out there. They still screw up their Windows PC's to the point where a format is sometimes the best/only option.

Mac's would make my life easier and theirs more productive.

Dave Cook | G5 Dual 2Ghz

RHutch
Jun 4, 2004, 10:54 AM
I'm not upset sonny. If that's the way you interpret the article is your opinion. If you didnt talk to this guy on the phone, it's just that, a opinion. But I have my own mind and my own opinion. And I stand ground on the rant I posted earlier.

Some opinions are better than others. Think about the context of the statement in the article. The writer pointed out the time rebooting, the peripheral problems, etc. Can you really stick to your rant after reading the article and thinking about it? Do you really think that the author is claiming that the Mac OS is a dumbed-down OS? If something is written well enough, you shouldn't need to talk to the writer to know what was meant. I think most people will interpret this as Mudbug and I do.

Your opinion seems to be based more on statements you fabricated than on anything in the article.

1macker1
Jun 4, 2004, 10:55 AM
That's the point. People make it seem like, "If you dont know how to use a real computer, go get a Mac." Which makes the Mac computer seem to be a bunch of computer illiterates.
I spend more time than I should attempting to remove crapware and viruses off all the PC's under my watch. Doesn't matter how much I talk to these people they don't get it. They don't know how to use a real computer IMHO. It doesn't matter if they run Norton, Spybot or whatever else is out there. They screw up their Windows PC's to the point where a format is sometimes the best/only option.

Mac's would make my life easier and theirs more productive.

Dave Cook | G5 Dual 2Ghz

1macker1
Jun 4, 2004, 10:59 AM
I really dont care about being agreed with. I just stated my opinion. If you dont like it, scroll past it.
Some opinions are better than others. Think about the context of the statement in the article. The writer pointed out the time rebooting, the peripheral problems, etc. Can you really stick to your rant after reading the article and thinking about it? Do you really think that the author is claiming that the Mac OS is a dumbed-down OS? If something is written well enough, you shouldn't need to talk to the writer to know what was meant. I think most people will interpret this as Mudbug and I do.

Your opinion seems to be based more on statements you fabricated than on anything in the article.

Cooknn
Jun 4, 2004, 11:01 AM
That's the point. People make it seem like, "If you dont know how to use a real computer, go get a Mac." Which makes the Mac computer seem to be a bunch of computer illiterates.I take it another way. It makes the Mac (computer) easier to use and therefore demands less of its users - resulting in greater productivity. What's wrong with that?

Dave Cook | G5 Dual 2Ghz

radhak
Jun 4, 2004, 11:19 AM
That's the point. People make it seem like, "If you dont know how to use a real computer, go get a Mac." Which makes the Mac computer seem to be a bunch of computer illiterates.
this is a pretty backward argument.
"make the roads safer for kids" does not insult those who are not kids. but you are insistent on putting words in others' mouth where they did not come from; if anybody said it like you do in your quote, then it would definitely be an insult, like saying, "if you don't know how to cross a road, then wait till somebody makes the road safer for kids", but nobody ever said it or even meant it, at least not in this thread or in the quoted article.

1macker1
Jun 4, 2004, 11:28 AM
The "make the roads safer" analogy doesn't work. But if you want to make the roads safer, I think you should teach the kids how to cross the streets. I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth.
this is a pretty backward argument.
"make the roads safer for kids" does not insult those who are not kids. but you are insistent on putting words in others' mouth where they did not come from; if anybody said it like you do in your quote, then it would definitely be an insult, like saying, "if you don't know how to cross a road, then wait till somebody makes the road safer for kids", but nobody ever said it or even meant it, at least not in this thread or in the quoted article.

stoid
Jun 4, 2004, 11:55 AM

I think the point of the article is, "If you don't have time to waste trying to fix a machine that never works, go get a Mac." Which makes the Mac computer seem to be a lot less hassle and more uninterrupted productivity.

BTW, define "real computer" for me. One that doesn't work?

shamino
Jun 4, 2004, 12:02 PM
But it would be perfectly correct to say "If you don't want to do the routine maintenance work of a corporte IT department, go get a Mac."

It's one thing to expect people to know how to use computers. It's quite another to expect them to know how you reinstall and rebuild key parts of it on a regular basis.

You don't think of a person as an idiot if he can't repair his own car, VCR, refrigerator, air conditioner, etc. And you don't think him an idiot if he chooses to purchase appliances that doesn't break as often. So why should it be any different when the appliance is a computer?

realityisterror
Jun 4, 2004, 01:02 PM
here here!! *raises mug*
it's a commendable thing to switch someone...
my sister has decided to buy an imac for college just by using my imac every now and then, and her friend is "switching"/"moving" too
(i must add that one of their joint friends also has an ibook and took it to a yearbook conference... not that that would influence her more than i would... :D)

reality

Thirteenva
Jun 4, 2004, 01:23 PM
I own both a Mac and a PC, i've had the PC 4 years and the Mac 2. Haven't had many problems out of either, but I will say neither one of them works perfectly. It's a matter of choice and how you want to go about doing things. I've had a few BSOD and a few Kernal Attacks. Doesn't mean I accept faulty products, but I understand that some time faults will occur.

I disagree, for one reason or another the mac just works while the pc is a mess. I have a Powerbook and an HP at home, a G5 and Dell at work.

I am baffled how most things on a pc require so much more effort when compared to the mac. Now, don't get me wrong, windows gets better with every release, but some of the faults people are willing to accept with it are unbelievable. So much of windows is a battle. I don't have time to battle my OS. I am a power user with the G5 I can finally say i have a machine that will work as fast and efficiently as I can push it.

1macker1
Jun 4, 2004, 01:31 PM
I have switched 2 people from PC to Mac at the same time. While they didn't trash their old Windows system, their new purchase was for Powerbooks. Their problem with Windows was not that it didn't work, but they said that they though a Personal Computer, not one for work, should be fun to use, and nice to look at. So I took them to MacResources, my local Mac store, and showed them the iMac and the Powerbooks. One bought a iMac and the other a Powerbook.
here here!! *raises mug*
it's a commendable thing to switch someone...
my sister has decided to buy an imac for college just by using my imac every now and then, and her friend is "switching"/"moving" too
(i must add that one of their joint friends also has an ibook and took it to a yearbook conference... not that that would influence her more than i would... :D)

reality

cabes
Jun 4, 2004, 03:36 PM
I for one "upgraded" to a Mac. It's like going from a Kia to a Honda. The Honda's pretty much the same on the outside but it won't break down nearly as much... and it will last longer (between OS installs, that is). I'm very happy with my "upgrade" from Windows to Mac. I'll admit that it wasn't as easy as a switch but wasn't a "move". Moves suck. Switches are small changes. It'd say it was in the middle. Some re-learning and travel time were required but in all very good.

sharky2313
Jun 4, 2004, 06:17 PM
here's the difference between Mac and windows as a user who has used a Mac for years and built his own very functional windows xp pro PC.

Windows is great as long as you don't ask it to do too much. If you like to surf the internet maybe bang out a document or two, hey no problem. It's when you ask it to do the more complex stuff with more complex programs etc. that all the problems happen.

This is what people don't get about Macs. They aren't tools to surf the web and play games only. You can do so much more so much more easily on a mac. I do things on my Mac that people would never dream to do on a PC. That's the difference