PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft patents PDA double-click

MacBytes
Jun 4, 2004, 09:25 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft patents PDA double-click (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040604102555)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Stella
Jun 4, 2004, 10:14 AM
This must surely be just a optimistic attempt at patenting the double click?

There is prior arts for double clicking.. I'm thinking first versions of Mac OS, or the Digital Researches GEM gui, or the many variants of X-Windows - maybe?

Though, its microsoft and they managed to trade mark the very generic word 'Windows' - after many attempts.

redAPPLE
Jun 4, 2004, 10:26 AM
so where is the logic in double-clicking a pda-icon? is this like the "right-click" pda-style? (sorry too lazy to read the article).

macridah
Jun 4, 2004, 10:33 AM
Is M$ f--- serious!? This can't be true. Is it April 1: no. Arghhhh. Note to self: add this article to the list of reasons why i hate M$.

:mad:

BevvyB
Jun 4, 2004, 11:03 AM
i've just patented sitting down

so watch it

rvernout
Jun 4, 2004, 11:06 AM
The first claim reads:

A method for expanding the functionality of an application button on a limited resource computing device, comprising:

(a) detecting that an application button associated with a limited resource computing device application has been pressed;

(b) determining the length of time the application button has been pressed;

(c) opening an application if the application button is released prior to the expiration of a threshold time limit; and

(d) opening the application and automatically causing the application to display the last known state of the application if the application button is pressed, without being released, for a period equal to or in excess of the threshold time limit.

There are other claims in the patent as well, defining various actions under c) and d). So this patent is not about double clicking at all, but about a time sensitive click, wherein the action following the click depends on the duration of the click.

The closest prior art I can think of is Apple's implementation of spring loaded folders.

mrsebastian
Jun 4, 2004, 12:28 PM
this may be a broad patent and as the article states, hard to pursue if it came down to legal actions. however, the problem is that whomever m$ decides to sue, will have to spend an arm and a leg on legal help and will never get that back.

lduncan
Jun 4, 2004, 02:35 PM
How inovative! What will they come up with next.

No wonder Microsoft products are ****, if this is the limit of their inovation.

sjk
Jun 4, 2004, 08:49 PM
i've just patented sitting down

so watch it"Help, I got up and I can't fall down!"

Keynoteuser
Jun 5, 2004, 10:19 AM
Maybe MS is on to something. I don't think I have ever double clicked anything on my Palm, so maybe it's never been done on a PDA before (or did the Newton have that?).

Qunchuy
Jun 7, 2004, 10:59 AM
...So this patent is not about double clicking at all, but about a time sensitive click, wherein the action following the click depends on the duration of the click.

The closest prior art I can think of is Apple's implementation of spring loaded folders.
If you want relevant prior art, hold down a PalmPilot's Address Book button. If you don't let up on it quickly, it beams your "business card" contact. The backlight control function of the power button counts too.