PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Linksys

craigdawg
Jun 4, 2004, 09:49 AM
All of a sudden I'm having a problem with my Wi-Fi network at home. Granted, it's with my PC laptop so please no "well that's your problem craigdawg" cracks. :D

Anyway, this all started when I had to power-off the router. When I inspect the details of my link (I have a link to the AP but no Internet) I see the PC is assigned, via DHCP, an IP address that's outside of the parameters I configured. For example, I've told the router to assign addresses starting with 192.168.1.100 and the IP address of the PC is 196.xxx.xxx.xxx.

At first I thought my PC was registering with another DHCP server/router? Is that possible? However, I do see it's associated with the SSID I've assigned to the router.

I also tried forcing a "static" IP (192.168.1.102) but that didn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

jeremy.king
Jun 4, 2004, 10:10 AM
restart/reset cable/dsl modem and wait til fully "booted". This is usually done by unplugging for roughly 30 secs and then plugging back in.

restart/reset linksys router

check on your PC that no other interfaces are configured for TCP/IP and that your wireless card is set to DHCP with proper SSID, etc... finally run 'ipconfig /renew' (without quotes) from dos window. Or you can restart the PC.

zimv20
Jun 4, 2004, 10:31 AM
At first I thought my PC was registering with another DHCP server/router? Is that possible? However, I do see it's associated with the SSID I've assigned to the router.

it's probably self-assigned. in addition to what's suggested above, double check your PCs tcp/ip network config to ensure it's looking for an assigned IP.

craigdawg
Jun 10, 2004, 09:55 PM
This is really starting to tick me off.

I assigned a static IP address to the PC of 192.168.1.102, with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.1.1 (the router). I can connect to the WAP so I'm pretty sure the NIC is working but I can't ping the router.

Any ideas?