Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjohara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
For some reason, my white macbook will not play sound unless headphones are plugged in. There is also this mysterious red light emitting from the headphone jack. How do I fix this?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You don't, it's a ticking time bomb ready to explode, toss it out the window QUICK!

That problem seems to be common now and if you do a search, some have suggested that if you take something small you can jiggle it in the headphone jack. If that doesn't work, you might need to take it back to Apple.

torid110

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2006
Jersey City, NJ
For some reason, my white macbook will not play sound unless headphones are plugged in. There is also this mysterious red light emitting from the headphone jack. How do I fix this?

The red light is for digital audio. The headphone jack acts as both a headphone jack and a digital audio out. If you plug in a toslink cable (with the appropriate adapter) you can plug your laptop into a stereo receiver.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
sounds like your switch on the plug is sticking or something. Yeah that red light is an LED for SP/DIF (digital output audio) to a receiver, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.