Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike789

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Does anyone know what import setting/preset I should use for my flip ultra hd camcorder when bringing the files into final cut pro?

Thanks

reallybigafro

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2005
Mike -

I don't have the exact same camera, I have the Flip Mino HD, and I have searched and searched and haven't found the best answer. The best solution I have found was to import in either the Flip Video software that comes with it, or just accessing the VD100 folder on the flip and just dragging and dropping it. Let me know if you find a way to capture it straight into the program.

Good Luck.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think there is a way to capture straight into FCP from a Flip camera because of its proprietary codec.

I'd recommend against a drag and drop from the VD100 folder because the video starts in an MP4 wrapper and FCP has to render it before it will play it. And for that matter, you'll often have to re-render every time you make a change on the timeline.

The best thing to do is use MPEG Streamclip to convert the MP4s to QT movies using the ProRes codec at a 1280x720 frame size.

Then, your FCP sequence should be set to ProRes at 1280x720 30p. But FCP should automatically adjust to the proper sequence settings when you drag your first clip down to the timeline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.