Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no.1 Apple Fan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
In a pineapple under the sea
Hi Everyone!
As you all can see, I'm new to the forums. I have a question about buying Photoshop with the student discount if anyone can help. Photoshop is very expensive so I can not buy PS Extended at the normal price. I know that I am eligible for the student discount. I want to know if it is a stripped down version of the program or the real version. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
It is a great discount, I got the whole creative suite (CS2) for $400, vs the $1000 plus it was listed for back then.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I bought the student version of CS4 when it came out. It is the full version, the only thing is you are not supposed to use it for commerical gain, however you are entitled to buy the upgrade, the next time it is upgraded, and then you can use it legally for profit.

Note that when you get the student pack, do NOT install it straight away. Wait until you get your code from Adobe, otherwise you will have to uninstall it and reinstall it again.

I did call Adobe and asked if I could install it on more than one machine. They told me I could not with the student version, but I managed to install it on my MacPro and MBP without any problems.

Good luck, it is certainly a great deal.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Im pretty sure you just wont be able to upgrade.

Im pretty sure you can. Adobe says so.

Can I upgrade from a Student Edition?
Yes, a Student Edition can be upgraded to a commercial version

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/students/studentedition/faq.html

By the way there is no difference between the student version and the commercial version of any CS4 software, except from the activation code that is linked to your software. But everything else is the same :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.